Bakoon HPA-21 headphone amplifier
Sep 4, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #633 of 643
https://enleum.com/hpa-23rm/

Curious what fans of the 21 think about the new announcement
Looks intriguing. 3k is a big ask, though. And more generally, not quite sure about the two-tier power approach. This is what FiiO did with M17, which worked well but meant that full performance is basically desktop mode. And that point, you're competing with actual desktop amps.

In any case, I am waiting on the Japanese Bakoon HDA-5230 which may offer a similar level of performance. I just sold the Bakoon HPA-21 and HPA-01M in a move toward Bakoon Japanese products.

I've no doubt the HPA-23RM will sound excellent, though.

Sep 4, 2022 at 6:48 PM Post #634 of 643
Looks intriguing. 3k is a big ask, though. And more generally, not quite sure about the two-tier power approach. This is what FiiO did with M17, which worked well but meant that full performance is basically desktop mode. And that point, you're competing with actual desktop amps.

In any case, I am waiting on the Japanese Bakoon HDA-5230 which may offer a similar level of performance. I just sold the Bakoon HPA-21 and HPA-01M in a move toward Bakoon Japanese products.

Dang, I was looking for a 01M. Did you list it anywhere?

Sep 5, 2022 at 8:08 AM Post #636 of 643

Thanks for the thoughts. It's a very interesting product that draws from both the predecessor of the 21 and the advancements made in the 23R. After doing various dimensions and weight comparisons to other battery powered amps, DACs and DAPs, I think the 23RM will wind up feeling like a transportable item - and to me that's ok.

It's the same depth as a Cayin C9 and just a touch taller (164.5mm vs 160mm), but significantly wider (116mm vs 80mm) and significantly heavier (730g vs 550g). It's about 20% heavier the the M17 (730g vs 610g) for those who are familiar with its heft. It dwarfs the Hugo 2, which some might feel is on the larger side for a truly portable DAC/AMP. All that being said, it's a far cry from the brick that is the transportable Woo Audio WA8 😁. So, it's not pocketable but could be lugged in a carry case with a shoulder strap should one really want to. I see it more as a unit you could take with you and setup on a desk or other surface and use while sitting there but not really something you're going to be using while walking around.

Still though, I see the appeal. They are offering a desktop reference that you can pretty easily move around to various listening destinations and take with you on holiday travel and can be used without AC power. That kind of flexibility opens a lot of useful listening doors for the person who doesn't want to compromise their listening experience even when they are not sitting in front of an AC only powered headphone rack.

The power output "R" vs "M" modes are certainly to be taken note of, yes. Obviously something has to give when they want to offer battery only operation, but also shrink size and weight (compared to the 21), so M mode output is severely cut back. I do, however, very much appreciate their choice of USB C power input and specifically mention the ability to use external battery packs as a method to make use of R mode. That gets you reference transportable (in fairness though you're talking a stack of boxes - 23RM, external battery, DAC, source) so you can enjoy that same experience in a variety of places, including outdoors. I like that Enleum decided to offer one solution that tries to give you choice and flexibility vs offering 2 product solutions, one reference non-portable and one portable with various tradeoffs. It's going to feel like a wide chunk of machined aluminum, but the satisfaction of being able to take your desktop reference from place to place will be worth it for some users.

Sep 5, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #637 of 643
Thanks for the thoughts. It's a very interesting product that draws from both the predecessor of the 21 and the advancements made in the 23R. After doing various dimensions and weight comparisons to other battery powered amps, DACs and DAPs, I think the 23RM will wind up feeling like a transportable item - and to me that's ok.

It's the same depth as a Cayin C9 and just a touch taller (164.5mm vs 160mm), but significantly wider (116mm vs 80mm) and significantly heavier (730g vs 550g). It's about 20% heavier the the M17 (730g vs 610g) for those who are familiar with its heft. It dwarfs the Hugo 2, which some might feel is on the larger side for a truly portable DAC/AMP. All that being said, it's a far cry from the brick that is the transportable Woo Audio WA8 😁. So, it's not pocketable but could be lugged in a carry case with a shoulder strap should one really want to. I see it more as a unit you could take with you and setup on a desk or other surface and use while sitting there but not really something you're going to be using while walking around.

Still though, I see the appeal. They are offering a desktop reference that you can pretty easily move around to various listening destinations and take with you on holiday travel and can be used without AC power. That kind of flexibility opens a lot of useful listening doors for the person who doesn't want to compromise their listening experience even when they are not sitting in front of an AC only powered headphone rack.

The power output "R" vs "M" modes are certainly to be taken note of, yes. Obviously something has to give when they want to offer battery only operation, but also shrink size and weight (compared to the 21), so M mode output is severely cut back. I do, however, very much appreciate their choice of USB C power input and specifically mention the ability to use external battery packs as a method to make use of R mode. That gets you reference transportable (in fairness though you're talking a stack of boxes - 23RM, external battery, DAC, source) so you can enjoy that same experience in a variety of places, including outdoors. I like that Enleum decided to offer one solution that tries to give you choice and flexibility vs offering 2 product solutions, one reference non-portable and one portable with various tradeoffs. It's going to feel like a wide chunk of machined aluminum, but the satisfaction of being able to take your desktop reference from place to place will be worth it for some users.
Nicely put.

I've had/have those devices you mentioned above, and you're right they're strictly for transportable use (Hugo 2 at a push, but then with source less so). The WA8 especially is only conceivable as a static amp. So, yes, 23RM for a no-compromise transportable amp.

I would like to see a strictly 23M version at about 2K with a power output of 500mW on current mode. That would be very tempting. 1W on the HPA-21's Current mode is very powerful, easily drives the Susvara at 10am or so. People tend to forget or misunderstand how powerful these amps are. So even at 500mW, it's already very powerful for most planar headphones.

What I will be keen to hear is whether the "R" mode offers performance upgrade in the same way that the M17's "enhanced mode" does, or whether it's simply more output.

Personally, I also have my doubts about the inclusion of Voltage mode as I think most people who buy Bakoon/Enleum do so for the Current mode.

Sep 5, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #638 of 643
Yes! It was listed here for like 2 weeks or so. Then sold on Ebay for a very low price. Sorry you missed it.
Freaking A! I have a saved search on Hifishark but it didn’t alert me…
Maybe the name wasn’t exactly the same…

Edit: oh never mind, you’re not in North America, that’s why…

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #639 of 643
Sep 5, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #640 of 643
The WA8 especially is only conceivable as a static amp. So, yes, 23RM for a no-compromise transportable amp.
Heard to disagree there. Other than moving around the house, I've never traveled with it. Between the size, weight, proprietary power cable, etc it just isn't attractive to take on the road. For as much as I like its tube sound signature, the real world transportable use is restricted.

I would like to see a strictly 23M version at about 2K with a power output of 500mW on current mode. That would be very tempting. 1W on the HPA-21's Current mode is very powerful, easily drives the Susvara at 10am or so. People tend to forget or misunderstand how powerful these amps are. So even at 500mW, it's already very powerful for most planar headphones.

Fair points all. Perhaps after Enleum hears feedback about the RM and gets interest in an M only, they could offer a cut down form factor forthat would be a more truly portable device.

What I will be keen to hear is whether the "R" mode offers performance upgrade in the same way that the M17's "enhanced mode" does, or whether it's simply more output.

Personally, I also have my doubts about the inclusion of Voltage mode as I think most people who buy Bakoon/Enleum do so for the Current mode.

Very good question. Enleum is saying the first units will ship in November, but there's always the question of whether pre-realease units will be made available to press or via a show for others to hear. SoCal is next weekend and while Enleum isn't a participating vendor, Heapdhones.com is and they brought the 23R last year. A post form them in the CanJam SoCal thread was playfully cryptic about what they are bringing this year, so we shall see. Likely a long shot but if Enleum sticks to the November release timetable we will have real world feedback relatively soon.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2022 at 7:34 AM Post #641 of 643
Heard to disagree there. Other than moving around the house, I've never traveled with it. Between the size, weight, proprietary power cable, etc it just isn't attractive to take on the road. For as much as I like its tube sound signature, the real world transportable use is restricted.

Fair points all. Perhaps after Enleum hears feedback about the RM and gets interest in an M only, they could offer a cut down form factor forthat would be a more truly portable device.

Very good question. Enleum is saying the first units will ship in November, but there's always the question of whether pre-realease units will be made available to press or via a show for others to hear. SoCal is next weekend and while Enleum isn't a participating vendor, Heapdhones.com is and they brought the 23R last year. A post form them in the CanJam SoCal thread was playfully cryptic about what they are bringing this year, so we shall see. Likely a long shot but if Enleum sticks to the November release timetable we will have real world feedback relatively soon.

https://www.facebook.com/story.php?...kNJNfQAEVl&id=143148585775401&mibextid=VUKuuk

Looks like we will get some feedback this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back