Bakoon HPA-01 headphone amplifier
Aug 1, 2014 at 3:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

TokenGesture

Previously known as avl06
Took the plunge and have the HPA-01 on order. No demo here!  Upgrading from V200. Hoping for great things for my LCD-X and maybe T1 as well 

Aug 11, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #3 of 40
Well Bakoon HPA-01 be suitable for IEM users? I am planning to pair it with HUGO.

Voltage mode for iem is unbelievably good. Using a clas db dac it made me want to sell off my portable amps (I have predator and the international). The bakoon was in a completely different class. Night and day improvements in everything. I was using a lowly hifiman re400. Can't wait for when my jh13 pro fp arrives.

Aug 11, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #4 of 40
Further to my post. I've heard the hugo feed a hpa21 before and I almost bought an lcd x on the spot because of that 1 min audition.

Aug 12, 2014 at 5:34 AM Post #5 of 40
I listened to the HPA21 + HUGO + LCD-X and was not that impressed.  May be I should try again ....
biggrin.gif

Aug 12, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #6 of 40
Maybe it depends on what music we are listening to. I liked it for chart pop music. 

Also came from trying out an AK120II connected to the Bakoon. Did not like that. 

Aug 13, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #7 of 40
The HPA-01 has less gain so it should be better for these more sensitive headphones? Also anyone have any experience pairing with Alpha Dogs?

Aug 20, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #8 of 40
Well the HPA-01 arrived today. I had it shipped to work where I only have the Schiit Modi as DAC and Shure SRH1540 headphones. Gotta say the difference doing some A/B is quite profound compared to the Vali, but it better be considering the 15x price difference! The presentation is not even close with the Vali sounding one dimensional in comparison. The Bakoon has so much more space and finer details. I can also hear a certain veiledness that I think is because of the Modi in the chain. Can't wait to take it home to my main setup tonight!

Aug 20, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #9 of 40
Well the HPA-01 arrived today. I had it shipped to work where I only have the Schiit Modi as DAC and Shure SRH1540 headphones. Gotta say the difference doing some A/B is quite profound compared to the Vali, but it better be considering the 15x price difference! The presentation is not even close with the Vali sounding one dimensional in comparison. The Bakoon has so much more space and finer details. I can also hear a certain veiledness that I think is because of the Modi in the chain. Can't wait to take it home to my main setup tonight!

Mine will not be here until next week I guess. I'm getting to be pretty curious how it stacks up against the CMA800R running with balanced input.

Aug 20, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #10 of 40

interesting. looking forward to more impressions.

I also have an HPA-01 on the way. My main comparison with be vs the MAD Ear+ using the PS1000 :) I may also be checking how the JH Roxannes sound with the HPA-01. I’ll post in here once I get a handle on the sound.

Aug 20, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #11 of 40
FYI the SRH1540 has a pretty flat impedance curve. We'll see how it reacts to something not flat like the HD800 tonight.

Aug 20, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #12 of 40
After some listening with the HD800, and comparing with the Questyle CMA800R, I have made the following observations (vs. Bakoon HPA-01):

The Questyle has a very neutral sound with the HD800, so it plays off the brighter leaning sound of the HD800. Trebly, sometimes strident. The mids are quite forward or intimate, with a definite layered imaging of various instruments. The Bakoon on voltage mode sounds quite generic for the HD800. Perhaps less trebly compared to the Questyle, but also lacks the layering and smooth mids/vocals. It reminds me of a midrange amp to be honest. Current mode (what we care about anyways), other the other hand, transforms the HD800 into something else entirely. The HD800 become much darker sounding, reminding me of the HD650 or LCD-2. There's definitely a prominent bass line throughout (for pop/rock). The treble is there, but not strident or in your face compared to the Questyle. Pretty much not your standard HD800 treble sound, and not as exciting. As such, the speed and PRaT seems to have taken a hit, but because the HD800 is quite fast to begin with, it's still acceptable. The mids have also taken a backseat somewhat thanks to the darker sound and the bass line compared to the Questyle and it doesn't have that intimacy the vocals seem to have on the Questyle. Definitely a more relaxing sound without any zinginess from the treble anymore. The various layering and imaging seem to have taken a hit as well with the darker and slower sound comparing to the Questyle. As for details, I find the Questyle to be better mainly due to the treble presence.

In summary, the HPA-01 transforms the signature of the HD800 into a much darker sounding headphone that can be easier on the ears, but loses out somewhat on speed, liveliness, imaging/soundstage, and details.

These are just opinions from me after some early impressions. Will report back with more once I get some burn-in and more time with the Bakoon.

Aug 21, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #13 of 40
interesting. looking forward to more impressions.

I also have an HPA-01 on the way. My main comparison with be vs the MAD Ear+ using the PS1000 :) I may also be checking how the JH Roxannes sound with the HPA-01. I’ll post in here once I get a handle on the sound.

I anxiously awaits your verdict.

With the Oppo PM-1--not my favorite cans--and using the alternate pads, the MAD Ear+ HD clearly out-performed the Bakoon HPA-21 in my home system, a rather shocking development.

Aug 21, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #14 of 40
  After some listening with the HD800, and comparing with the Questyle CMA800R, I have made the following observations (vs. Bakoon HPA-01):

The Questyle has a very neutral sound with the HD800, so it plays off the brighter leaning sound of the HD800. Trebly, sometimes strident. The mids are quite forward or intimate, with a definite layered imaging of various instruments. The Bakoon on voltage mode sounds quite generic for the HD800. Perhaps less trebly compared to the Questyle, but also lacks the layering and smooth mids/vocals. It reminds me of a midrange amp to be honest. Current mode (what we care about anyways), other the other hand, transforms the HD800 into something else entirely. The HD800 become much darker sounding, reminding me of the HD650 or LCD-2. There's definitely a prominent bass line throughout (for pop/rock). The treble is there, but not strident or in your face compared to the Questyle. Pretty much not your standard HD800 treble sound, and not as exciting. As such, the speed and PRaT seems to have taken a hit, but because the HD800 is quite fast to begin with, it's still acceptable. The mids have also taken a backseat somewhat thanks to the darker sound and the bass line compared to the Questyle and it doesn't have that intimacy the vocals seem to have on the Questyle. Definitely a more relaxing sound without any zinginess from the treble anymore. The various layering and imaging seem to have taken a hit as well with the darker and slower sound comparing to the Questyle. As for details, I find the Questyle to be better mainly due to the treble presence.

In summary, the HPA-01 transforms the signature of the HD800 into a much darker sounding headphone that can be easier on the ears, but loses out somewhat on speed, liveliness, imaging/soundstage, and details.

These are just opinions from me after some early impressions. Will report back with more once I get some burn-in and more time with the Bakoon.

Very interesting impressions. Seems like there's really something on those comments about the current drive output influencing frequency response proportionally to the headphone's impedence curve (HD800 has massive impedance hump in midbass). Cool stuff

I anxiously awaits your verdict.

With the Oppo PM-1--not my favorite cans--and using the alternate pads, the MAD Ear+ HD clearly out-performed the Bakoon HPA-21 in my home system, a rather shocking development.

So do I :) Wondering how the pair will sound together. How it will work for me with the PS1000's wild treble and occasionally loose bass. should be fun.

Interesting how the Ear+ worked with the PM-1 i your case. Not the result I expected, that's for sure. I guess the PM-1 doesn't need a lot of power so it can be driven cleanly from the Ear+. Curious, did it sound too thick or dull with the Bakoon? Anything in particular stand out?

Aug 21, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #15 of 40

Very interesting impressions. Seems like there's really something on those comments about the current drive output influencing frequency response proportionally to the headphone's impedence curve (HD800 has massive impedance hump in midbass). Cool stuff

So do I :) Wondering how the pair will sound together. How it will work for me with the PS1000's wild treble and occasionally loose bass. should be fun.

Interesting how the Ear+ worked with the PM-1 i your case. Not the result I expected, that's for sure. I guess the PM-1 doesn't need a lot of power so it can be driven cleanly from the Ear+. Curious, did it sound too thick or dull with the Bakoon? Anything in particular stand out?

The Bakoon sounds great with the HD800. You can check my post (about two weeks ago on this and many other pairings).

With the PM-1 stock ear-pads, the Bakoon sounds just fine. We should also remember that the PM-1 is not the most transparent or high-resolution cans out there.

With the PM-1 Alternate ear-pads--essentially the stock-earpads without the felt ring to block some of the sound--the Bakoon sounded a little hard, strident, almost bright, which surprised the heck out of me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back