Bad low frequency bass on AKG K702
Jul 8, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #31 of 354

Above there is a comment that the human ear cannot hear frequencies as low as 10Hz.  True. Typical audible range is 20Hz to 20,000 for young children, sliding to 16,000 for adults and lower as we get older. The lowest tone on an 88-key piano is Sub-contra-octave A at 27.5 Hz. (See wiki article "piano key frequencies"). How many instruments will go below that? Maybe a custom monster organ. But virtually no composer will write notes below that -- only some eccentric who builds his own instrument.

Jul 8, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #32 of 354

Quote:
You'd have to be elephant to hear that low freq.

Elephant with Giraffe legs, the driver will move/rate vibration mostly air. The Earth's frequency is 7.8Hz and is speeding up.
smile.gif

Jul 8, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #33 of 354
Apparently sub 40Hz is necessary according to this excerpt from the Sennheiser HD650 ad:

[size=x-small]"The 650 offers appreciable bass well below 40 Hz, the region responsible for the deepest frequencies generated by kick drums, timpani, double bass, electric bass guitar, and all manner of electronic sounds. Further, the 650 reproduces its low frequencies with only minimal emphasis in the upper-bass region, between the areas we commonly call "bass" and "midrange", in which undue emphasis can destroy clarity both above and below."[/size]

Jul 8, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #34 of 354
Quote:
You'd have to be elephant to hear that low freq.

But you can feel it.  It's hard to distinguish what's heard and felt at such low frequencies, but for convenience's sake, if you can perceive it, say you heard it.  It's easier than quibbling about how you perceived it

Jul 8, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #35 of 354
The Senn literature brings up a dicey issue, namely overtones. But while it is nice to see the headphone designers working on this, really it is the responsibility of the composer to write in such a way that the tones are clear and not muddy because of the overtones. So theoretically it shouldn't be too much of a problem unless the musician has not been through formal compositional education and remains insufficiently aware of the issue.

Jul 8, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #37 of 354
I think I'll return the AKG K702s.  Which of these has better bass (extension, detail, flatter frequency response) : Denon AHD-x000,  Senheiser HD 6x0, or Beyerdynamic DT-880?

Jul 8, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #38 of 354
IMO the K702/K701 have less bass than most headphones, but they aren't bass light. I think they have plenty of slam to it (weight), just impact is weaker. They do reproduce some of the best bass around no doubt.

Jul 8, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #39 of 354
The first problem with this thread is it seems highly doubtful that triports can actually reach that frequency level, considering the general quality of their frequency response. The second issues is, I highly doubt your soundcard is driving your k701s properly. My ipod can drive the k701 to listening levels-that doesn't mean they're being driven properly. When I had k701s, if I connected them to an amp, the soundstage increased by about 3x. So yeah, get a real amp. You'll need that for most fullsize headphones anyway. 

Also, triports are a very, very poor benchmark to use, if you're interested in accuracy at all. In any case, my experience with the k701s is that they have bloated midbass but not too great of bass extension. I'm sure other members can give you better advice on which phones you should get, but you should be more specific about whether you want quality and extension of quantity. 

Jul 8, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #41 of 354

Quote:
The first problem with this thread is it seems highly doubtful that triports can actually reach that frequency level, considering the general quality of their frequency response. The second issues is, I highly doubt your soundcard is driving your k701s properly. My ipod can drive the k701 to listening levels-that doesn't mean they're being driven properly. When I had k701s, if I connected them to an amp, the soundstage increased by about 3x. So yeah, get a real amp. You'll need that for most fullsize headphones anyway. 

Also, triports are a very, very poor benchmark to use, if you're interested in accuracy at all. 

With 15 db boost on the bass, there is no accuracy here.

Jul 8, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #42 of 354
Quote:
It's hilarious in a surreal way how you don't consider an excellent amp a "real amp".  You probably prefer overpriced ones made in someone's basement just because they have tubes sticking out.  Go tape a few of these to your head: http://www.lessloss.com/blackbody-p-200.html .  I'm sure you'll notice an improvement.

Don't get hostile just because not everyone shares your love of overpriced headphones made in someone's 5-bathroom suite just because they have 10Hz bass and nothing good above it.

Jul 8, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #43 of 354
Amps aren't audio voodoo man (at least to a point.) Phones (and speakers) need power. It's just a fact. Would you try to drive your fullsize phones with your ipod and expect them to work properly? Also, using triports as your benchmark for quality bass doesn't give you a lot of credibility.

Quote:
It's hilarious in a surreal way how you don't consider an excellent amp a "real amp".  You probably prefer overpriced ones made in someone's basement just because they have tubes sticking out.  Go tape a few of these to your head: http://www.lessloss.com/blackbody-p-200.html .  I'm sure you'll notice an improvement.

I agree with you that the k701 is not accurate. I didn't mean to imply that k701 had accurate bass, thats why I edited my earlier post.
Quote:
With 15 db boost on the bass, there is no accuracy here.

Jul 8, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #44 of 354

Try looking up my soundcard first.  The internet isn't voodoo man (at least to a point.)  You can lookup my soundcard by using the internet.  It's just a fact.  Would you try to lookup something by clicking your recycle bin?  You need to open your internet browser.  Also, pretending everyone you're talking to has a 1st grade education doesn't give you a lot of credibility.
Quote:
Amps aren't audio voodoo man (at least to a point.) Phones (and speakers) need power. It's just a fact. Would you try to drive your fullsize phones with your ipod and expect them to work properly? Also, using triports as your benchmark for quality bass doesn't give you a lot of credibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back