Back wave resonance issue.
Jan 8, 2013 at 12:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Tjj226 Angel

1000+ Head-Fier
I am building my own headphones based off the ath 900x. I am pretty much done with the whole project, but there are a few loose ends. Right now I just have the drivers in some baffles made out of CDs and hot glue. They do not vibrate all that much. That being said I made the cups out of some cheap craft wood (it isn't balsa, but it is pretty much 3 x thick balsa wood) and turned them into some pretty round and circular cups. 

With no cups, the headphones actually sound pretty good. You have to wear them similar to how you would wear the AKG K1000 headphones, but they are actually surprisingly good for being closed drivers in an open configuration. My only complain is that the highs are too harsh and that the bass is not full. The mids are pretty darn close to having a flat response. 

When I put the cups on, the highs tone down, but so do the mids. Not to mention it makes everything sound like old time radio (back wave resonance). 

Things I have done to try and solve the issue. 

I put a layer of cork on the back side of the baffle with a hole where the driver is. This actually improved the sound by quite a bit, but it is still far from perfect. 

I have also tried various dampening material. Foam (various types), cotton balls, fleece, and now wool. Wool seems to be doing the best job so far, but there is still a slight echo-y type of resonance coming from the cup, and the other issue is it seems to be messing with the mid range frequencies as well.

My question is how can I dampen these headphones without screwing up the mids.  

Jan 8, 2013 at 3:54 AM Post #2 of 3
You're talking about the JVC right?  Sounds like a great DIY.  I have a couple of those in my amazon cart now... just itching to pull the trigger.

Have you thought about changing the geometry of your woody cups?  You mention its a soft / porous wood, maybe dremel out some more material and add some depth inside?  In that LONG diy thread someone used steel wool with good results.

Jan 8, 2013 at 8:49 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
You're talking about the JVC right?  Sounds like a great DIY.  I have a couple of those in my amazon cart now... just itching to pull the trigger.

Have you thought about changing the geometry of your woody cups?  You mention its a soft / porous wood, maybe dremel out some more material and add some depth inside?  In that LONG diy thread someone used steel wool with good results.

Nope, I am talking about completely custom headphones. 

Here, follow this link http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=194966 and look at the 9th post. I put up a bunch of pictures to give people and idea of what I am doing. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back