B&O H9 Discussion and Impressions thread
Dec 12, 2016 at 1:25 AM Post #46 of 1,671
  The app works as long as you're using bluetooth.  You set your preferences in it, and then when the headphone connects to that device, it uses the settings you previous set w/ the headphone.

i found that it keeps the settings even if you change device ( i'm changing from an iphone 7 to an iPad pro- both of which have the app installed)....don't know if you change to a device without the beoplay app installed...

with the H8, the most disturbing problem was a strange crackling noise while using ANC in the car. If one window would be slightly open, probably to the change in air pressure in the car, it would make this strange popping/crackling noise....I would be glad if this problem was fixed in the new H9, but i guess i can only check by getting one pair...

Dec 12, 2016 at 1:32 AM Post #47 of 1,671

If the noise canceling is almost non-existing, we can just get H7 and save some bucks? 
tongue_smile.gif

That's what I did...don't really need noise canceling anyway.  And if it's poorly implemented, why am I spending an extra 100 bucks?

Dec 12, 2016 at 1:33 AM Post #48 of 1,671

i found that it keeps the settings even if you change device ( i'm changing from an iphone 7 to an iPad pro- both of which have the app installed)....don't know if you change to a device without the beoplay app installed...

It doesn't go from my OnePlus 3T to my iPad Pro, so not sure how yours did that. Probably Apple/Apple instead of my Android/Apple.  Gotta stay within that walled garden!

Dec 12, 2016 at 1:38 AM Post #49 of 1,671

If the noise canceling is almost non-existing, we can just get H7 and save some bucks? 
tongue_smile.gif

Someone already posted it's better than the H8, so don't go by one person's opinion only. These are so new few people have them. If you're expecting MDR-1000X/QC35 ANC, you're going to be disappointed. Something a bit less than that? You're probably fine. It also depends on what you are expecting the ANC to block.

For me, ANC headphones have to balance musicality with noise cancelling. When NC affects sound too much, it's a bad thing. The Space One has a good balance, but I am very curious about the H9 which I am picking up tomorrow. I used the H8 for a long time, so even if the ANC is about the same, it won't be bad. Works fine on cutting airplane engine noise just fine.

Dec 12, 2016 at 1:44 AM Post #50 of 1,671
If the noise canceling is almost non-existing, we can just get H7 and save some bucks? :tongue_smile:

I personally don't care about the noise cancellation, I just want the kit that has the best sound and the most solid Bluetooth connectivity. I'm willing to pay the premium for the H9 if it wins on both these counts. Waiting for more reviews and owner feedback before deciding.

Dec 12, 2016 at 2:08 AM Post #51 of 1,671
I personally don't care about the noise cancellation, I just want the kit that has the best sound and the most solid Bluetooth connectivity. I'm willing to pay the premium for the H9 if it wins on both these counts. Waiting for more reviews and owner feedback before deciding.

Funny how people care about different things. I don't care about bluetooth. i won't even be trying it with the h9.

Dec 12, 2016 at 2:11 AM Post #52 of 1,671

Someone already posted it's better than the H8, so don't go by one person's opinion only. These are so new few people have them. If you're expecting MDR-1000X/QC35 ANC, you're going to be disappointed. Something a bit less than that? You're probably fine. It also depends on what you are expecting the ANC to block.

For me, ANC headphones have to balance musicality with noise cancelling. When NC affects sound too much, it's a bad thing. The Space One has a good balance, but I am very curious about the H9 which I am picking up tomorrow. I used the H8 for a long time, so even if the ANC is about the same, it won't be bad. Works fine on cutting airplane engine noise just fine.

I have QC20 and H8, and like the ANC on both of them (though H8's ANC is definitely not as effective as Bose). Tried MDR-1000X, but really disappointed with the build quality.
If H9 can match the ANC on H8, I will be a happy customer. 

Dec 12, 2016 at 2:30 AM Post #54 of 1,671

I have QC20 and H8, and like the ANC on both of them (though H8's ANC is definitely not as effective as Bose). Tried MDR-1000X, but really disappointed with the build quality.
If H9 can match the ANC on H8, I will be a happy customer. 

Same here re: ANC on the H9. I've commented on the 1000X elsewhere, but didn't love it. The Space One is great, so the H9 has to beat that sonically for me or be much more comfortable.

Dec 12, 2016 at 4:29 AM Post #56 of 1,671

I did. Completely agree that it will sound different for different people, so best try a pair yourself.What I would say is definitely gone in the H9 compared to the H8 is the really annoying metallic clinking sound you used to get with the H8 whenever you're walking about. Don't know if that's because the ANC is weaker and I'm just imagining that the combination of the ANC and passive isolation from the cups covering your ears = better isolation, or the ANC in the H9 is better tuned than the H8, but I have no regrets getting the H9. Sonically, the H9 is not very different with the ANC on or off. The H8 sounds very different with the ANC on or off. I do find it hard to figure out whether the H9's ANC is on or off in a quiet environment based on the sonic characterstics. 

Dec 12, 2016 at 5:00 AM Post #59 of 1,671
  I did. Completely agree that it will sound different for different people, so best try a pair yourself.What I would say is definitely gone in the H9 compared to the H8 is the really annoying metallic clinking sound you used to get with the H8 whenever you're walking about. Don't know if that's because the ANC is weaker and I'm just imagining that the combination of the ANC and passive isolation from the cups covering your ears = better isolation, or the ANC in the H9 is better tuned than the H8, but I have no regrets getting the H9. Sonically, the H9 is not very different with the ANC on or off. The H8 sounds very different with the ANC on or off. I do find it hard to figure out whether the H9's ANC is on or off in a quiet environment based on the sonic characterstics. 

I will definitely try H9 when I am back in Berlin.
The clinking sound from H8 when walking around can be eliminated if H8 are placed at a specific position. It takes a lot of adjustments and trials to get there though. Most of the times I just give up and try to live with that noise. Rarely I got it right the first try, it's like winning the lottery!

Another benefit of H9 is comfort. H6 was really comfortable while I cannot wear H8 for more than a couple of hours.

Dec 12, 2016 at 5:08 AM Post #60 of 1,671

tongue_smile.gif

H9 has a tighter sound signature than H7, it goes more into the H8 territory, which I personally like. 
THAT is the reason I am selling my H7 in favour of H9.

Noise cancelling is there, but as someone mentioned it cannot be compared with Sony MDR_1000x or Bose QC35. It is more subtle, two stage "whoop".
I personally use Sony quite often so these are my NC-reference. That being said - I obtained H9 strictly for the B&o sound quality.

Buying H7 instead of H9 you will save some bucks - true - but might also miss some the H9 superb dynamics. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back