Ayre Acoustics "Codex" DAC/Headphone Amp
Jul 6, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #451 of 856
Not to start a cable discussion but ...

Power cable is the cable I have the hardest time accepting could be a significant player. The power coming through your wall is basic Romex. Furthermore, the Codex is a fairly low power device. What is the thinking with power cables given that coming from the transformer, through your switchbox the power cable makes up the last 0.1% of the distance from the transformer? Does it provide some kind of filtering due to massive capacitance associated with the huge windings? I am not meaning to come off as snarky, but power is the one I have the hardest time believing. I definitely believe various interconnects/cables could sound different, but power cable  seems to make the least sense to me with a low power device. 

All that said, I am considering getting a microRendu to use with the Codex and maybe even a PS Audio power regenerator to take my source and Codex completely off the mains. Has anyone played with any AC power filters/devices in front of the Codex?

Jul 6, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #452 of 856
  Good luck with the hunt. Once you experience the reality that "cables do sound different" the hard part is deciding how much each improvement is worth. Nobody can answer that but yourself, sadly.

Thanks for the pointer to the Audio Art 1se. I will soon be upgrading my amp to a Cavalli Liquid Gold, and I will be in the market for a balanced XLR interconnect in the under $400 price range. 

Other than the Audio Art, what are other Codex owners using for XLR interconnects? Any recommendations? 

You should check out Audiogon...I usually see some decent deals on used cables.  For example, take a look at this Nordost cable -  https://www.audiogon.com/listings/digital-nordost-heimdall-2-digital-xlr-1-5-metre-digital-cable-2016-06-16-cables-v7p-1j2--2   You probably can get these cables for just around your budget.   

All my equipment is single ended, so I don't have much experience with balanced XLR.  I would check out the usual suspects like AudioQuest, Wireworld.  I would also checkout Blue Jean Cables, I've used their RCA cables, which are decent.  Personally, I'm going to try some more Audio Art cables and replace my BJC RCAs.  

Jul 6, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #453 of 856
  All that said, I am considering getting a microRendu to use with the Codex and maybe even a PS Audio power regenerator to take my source and Codex completely off the mains. Has anyone played with any AC power filters/devices in front of the Codex?

I use a Bryston BIT-15 with all my audio equipment. The Bryston is the equivalent of the Torus Power RM-15 and uses a Plitron transformer to isolate downstream equipment from mains power. It also has series mode surge suppression. I feel it makes a slight difference in the upper midrange / treble where it cleans up some 'hash'. This is especially noticeable on cymbal strikes where they sound cleaner. Otherwise I don't feel the BIT-15 limits either the speaker or the headphone setup in any way. Torus Power also makes smaller units (their TOT line) that is less pricey and breaks out the surge suppression module as an option. I've also plugged in some of my equipment into a ZeroSurge surge protector at the office and haven't felt it to detract or improve the sound - it just buys me peace of mind.

Jul 6, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #454 of 856

Power cable is the cable I have the hardest time accepting could be a significant player. The power coming through your wall is basic Romex. Furthermore, the Codex is a fairly low power device. What is the thinking with power cables given that coming from the transformer, through your switchbox the power cable makes up the last 0.1% of the distance from the transformer? Does it provide some kind of filtering due to massive capacitance associated with the huge windings? I am not meaning to come off as snarky, but power is the one I have the hardest time believing. I definitely believe various interconnects/cables could sound different, but power cable  seems to make the least sense to me with a low power device. 

I agree with you on the most part, but I also think that my ears are telling some truth, the sound signature definitely improved.  Is it possible that the new power cable is sending more power to the amp, when required changing the quality of the sound?  I can tell you for sure that at different times of the day, depending on what using the same circuit, the sound of my amp varies slightly.  To your point though, I did start to play around with the interconnects.  I always felt that the Blue Jeans Cable RCAs were good enough, but I'm not so sure anymore.  I'm planning to replace my interconnects one by one and then upgrading the stock usb to the Codex with a silver usb cable.  I will probably throw in a Wyred Recovery with a Curious Cable at some point down the road.  Next year, I'll pickup a PS Audio Power Station.  

Jul 6, 2016 at 9:57 PM Post #455 of 856
i swear i said anaconda hx. i just looked. this is thing, the  gold mine you just discovered. in certain places used audio equipment is worth nothing. plus it is already broken in! however, i would try out music directs deal on the ps audio cables. that cannot be beat for a new cable of that quality. i honestly think the ac5 is fine for the codex but at those prices you could even maybe get an ac12. it is not the awg that matters at all. it is a lot of other stuff. cables just tend to be huge. that, might just be to show off.

i could spring for new gear but always snag huge used deals. that might explain some of the stuff i have.  plus as i said broken in is a big deal to me having bad ocd.
i got that power snake like six feet for i think $400!

oh, about times of the day. yes indeed. that is why i run everything off an online ups. if you have a small system an online ups is not a lot of money. used is a gamble because the batteries are expensive. tripp lite seems to be the best value in a very good one. apc is much more money. the key is on line. it must say that. or it is doing nothing for you.

Jul 6, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #456 of 856

I use a Bryston BIT-15 with all my audio equipment. The Bryston is the equivalent of the Torus Power RM-15 and uses a Plitron transformer to isolate downstream equipment from mains power. It also has series mode surge suppression. I feel it makes a slight difference in the upper midrange / treble where it cleans up some 'hash'. This is especially noticeable on cymbal strikes where they sound cleaner. Otherwise I don't feel the BIT-15 limits either the speaker or the headphone setup in any way. Torus Power also makes smaller units (their TOT line) that is less pricey and breaks out the surge suppression module as an option. I've also plugged in some of my equipment into a ZeroSurge surge protector at the office and haven't felt it to detract or improve the sound - it just buys me peace of mind.

Good to know.  Thanks for the post.

Jul 6, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #457 of 856

You should check out Audiogon...I usually see some decent deals on used cables.  For example, take a look at this Nordost cable -  https://www.audiogon.com/listings/digital-nordost-heimdall-2-digital-xlr-1-5-metre-digital-cable-2016-06-16-cables-v7p-1j2--2   You probably can get these cables for just around your budget.   

All my equipment is single ended, so I don't have much experience with balanced XLR.  I would check out the usual suspects like AudioQuest, Wireworld.  I would also checkout Blue Jean Cables, I've used their RCA cables, which are decent.  Personally, I'm going to try some more Audio Art cables and replace my BJC RCAs.  

Yes indeed, that is one of the places I look. My dealer has a used Cardas Golden Reference in the right range too that I will be able to try. I might buy a couple more under the 30-day trial and do a shootout!

Jul 6, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #459 of 856

I sympathize with your point, as I can hear the difference, yet cannot rationally explain why. I think the shielding definitely helps, but so much is dependent on what else is in the path. That's why I am only willing to go as far as Pangea cables, whose cost I can justify through just build quality, plugs, shielding, etc.

The idea of a power regenerator like the PS Audio does make a lot of sense. They do have the P10 on a massive discount right now, but even at $2999 it's a lot of money!

Jul 7, 2016 at 5:51 AM Post #460 of 856
as an engineer it defies everything i know. i always have heard cables. it may be placebo i don't care though. your mind is what is letting you hear the sound in the first place! therefore, i do not care to do a dbt and perhaps ruin many years of enjoyment. that, i am sure is why that forum is dbt free. who cares how you hear it as long as you do. cardas,kimber,ps-audio,aqdioquest,straightwire,crystal the list goes on and on but i like them all. all you cable belong to me! lol.

Jul 9, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #461 of 856
Changed out the stock power cables in the codex and aurender with the Pangea ac14se and the rogue amp with a audio art cable power 1se. Good news is that the sound is still pretty neutral and balance sounding. The Pangea cables did not impact the sound in a negative way like the SignalCables. Not a huge advancement with the power cable upgrades. I think I may need a cleaner and better power into my sources. Changed the interconnects to the Audio Art cable IC-3SE with Xhadow Precision RCA plugs and that did make a noticeable difference. The blue jean cables were really good for the price but I feel like I'm getting a bit more depth, larger sound stage and more details with the upgraded cable. I also upgraded the USB cable to the Pangea USB-ag and that is worth every cent. For a cable that is about $50 I couldn't be happier. Great value. Honestly, I haven't tried any other high end USB cables but the difference between stock and this cable can be clearly heard. Even with all of these upgrades, the sad part part is that my turntable, playing records still sounds much better in every way.....but I feel like I'm getting closer with each change.

Jul 9, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #462 of 856
Changed out the stock power cables in the codex and aurender with the Pangea ac1se and the rogue amp with a audio art cable 1se. Good news is that the sound is still pretty neutral and balance sounding. The Pangea cables did not impact the sound in a negative way like the SignalCables. Not a huge advancement with the power cable upgrades. I think I may need a cleaner and better power into my sources. Changed the interconnects to the Audio Art cable IC-3AE Xhadow Precision RCAs and that did make a noticeable difference. The blue jean cables were really good for the price but I feel like I'm getting a bit more depth, larger sound stage and more details with the upgraded cable. I also upgraded the USB cable to the Pangea USB-ag and that is worth every cent. For a cable that is about $50 I couldn't be happier. Great value. Honestly, I haven't tried any other high end USB cables but the difference between stock and this cable can be clearly heard. Even with all of these upgrades, the sad part part is that my turntable, playing records still sounds much better in every way.....but I feel like I'm getting closer with each change.

Good to hear! I never really considered the Pangea USB, so it's great to get your impressions.

Do you have typos in your cable model numbers? Do you mean:
  1. Pangea AC-14SE MkII
  2. Audio Art Power 1SE
  3. Audio Art IC-3SE, with Xhadow Precision RCA plugs?

Regarding clean power, yeah there's the rub, isn't it. I still can't justify the cost of a PS Audio Power Plant. My solution is to use a PS Audio Dectet power center. I connect the Dectet to the wall outlet with Pangea AC-9SE MkII cable, and use Pangea AC-14SE MkII cables from the Dectet to my components.

I'm pretty happy with it for now.

Jul 9, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #463 of 856
Good to hear! I never really considered the Pangea USB, so it's great to get your impressions.

Do you have typos in your cable model numbers? Do you mean:
  • Pangea AC-14SE MkII
  • Audio Art Power 1SE
  • Audio Art IC-3SE, with Xhadow Precision RCA plugs?

Regarding clean power, yeah there's the rub, isn't it. I still can't justify the cost of a PS Audio Power Plant. My solution is to use a PS Audio Dectet power center. I connect the Dectet to the wall outlet with Pangea AC-9SE MkII cable, and use Pangea AC-14SE MkII cables from the Dectet to my components.

I'm pretty happy with it for now.
Yes, you're right those are the cables...I corrected the typos. I'm posting from my iPhone. Thx

Jul 10, 2016 at 1:53 AM Post #464 of 856
cables of all kinds make differences. i have no idea why though. i fully understand science and science does not apply here. as i said you can run the whole rig off  a battery for less money than a power plant. it will also be much better. i swear to you guys you will not believe the difference running your equipment on batteries. as i also said a  used online ups is very cheap but it may need batteries which than negates the point of it being used. they are also very heavy. that being said, it must be an "online ups". any other kind of ups will do nothing for you. you can check out tripp lite and apc sites. they are the most reputable ones. but also minuteman and cyberpower are good but not as good. the thing is if you have less than 1,500 watts total( a standard ac circuit in your home) this is not a huge endeavor. if you need 20,000 watts uh you have a bit of an issue lol. my ax-5 twenty,codex,cd transport,pc,subwoofer and everything else do not draw more than 5.5 amps ever. at idle they all draw 2.7 amps. so a 1500 watt ups is more than enough. you can get one used for $300 but the batteries are going to run you another $600. i do not recommend questionable batteries but battery junction and batteries plus will save you some of that. you need to know how to reconnect them though. if you buy it used you have no warranty anyways. i swear though guys,cables make differences but until you hear a system on batteries you have not heard anything. the problem here is that most all residential ac sucks. especially for audio devices. it is ruining our sound! even if you do not have outages go but a recording meter on your ac for 24 hours. you will be amazed the harmonics you see.

i am just trying to be helpful. most of you should not have a problem getting  a used ups and it will make so much difference you will want to come shake my hand.
most audiophiles never consider this but as an engineer i know all about it. that is why you do not usually hear about it. i am telling you guys though you will simply be amazed. it will be like you just got a 5x higher end system. of course you do not put this on a $500 stereo but if you have at least $3,000 in it go for this. i am powering six figures of equipment with my tripp lite. the downstairs system is on a full battery array but that is a completely different matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back