Ayon Audio skylla DAC
Aug 13, 2010 at 11:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ztsen

100+ Head-Fier
Browsing around and found this dac, not sure anyone have impression on it?

Ayon Audio skylla DAC
“Reference triode tube DAC with integrated Preamp” 
Ayon Audio is pleased to introduce the superb Skylla DAC featuring a fully balanced digital and analog design. In its digital section, four Burr-Brown PCM -1704K DACs are arrayed in a true differential dual mono configuration. The differential gain stage is composed of two 6H30 high-current tubes per channel. The Skylla DAC features a vastly overrated, high capacity power supply for the 6H30 analog output stage with tube “bridge” rectification, choke coupling, three oversized power transformers, two for the analog and one for the digital section. The Skylla`s sound is rich and detailed, highly transparent and holographic, the resulting sound field representing an complete, realistic reproduction of the recording, a life-like mirror-image of the original performance. The Skylla DAC provides audiophiles with a new, exalted level of digital playback experience, comparable only to the best available analog sources.

Features

1. Full-featured true balanced D/A converter with preamp function.
  2. Pure Class-A triode vacuum-tube output stage for single-ended & balanced operation
  3. 4 x 6H30 triode tubes, precise quad matched / Russia
  4. 4 x 6X4 tube rectifier
  5. Upsampling 24/192kHz
  6. Bur Brown D/A Converter ( 4 x 1704K )
  7. Purist design and shortest possible analog signal paths
  8. Separate analog output stage for left and right channel
  9. Gold industrial PCB
  10. High selected, best quality passive components used in all applications
  11. Fully hand assembled to insure the highest level of craftsmanship
  12. Beautifully crafted high grade 12mm aluminium-brushed, black anodized chassis
  13. Central one-point earth grounding
  14. Tube “bridge” rectification, choke & stabilized power supply
  15. Dual choke – power supply and coupled with special film cap
  16. AC filtered power supply
  17. Superior noise reduction – film caps
  18. 3 noiseless R-core power transformers
  19. Audio circuit boards are anti- resonance-damped mounted
  20. Warm up function – extends tube life time
  21. 2 Line Input for analog sources
  22. 6 Digital input (2 x SPIDF, USB, I 2 S, AES/ EBU & Toslink ) for digital sources
  23. 2 Digital output ( AES/EBU & SPDIF)
  24. 2 Analog output ( RCA & XLR ) 0-9V variable and designed also to drive a power amp directly too.
  25. Volume RC
  26. Input RC
  27. Display dimmer & mute function
  28. Absorber aluminium feet with superior damping characteristics
  29. Silver / OIL capacitors ( MKP 1% )
  30. Heavy duty RCA gold-plated input jacks
  31. Neutrik/Swiss - XLR chassis connectors
  32. AC~ Phase control indicator
  33. Metal remote commander

Aug 13, 2010 at 11:44 AM Post #2 of 14
6Moon review Here

Aug 13, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #5 of 14
I will have some impressions probably in the next couple weeks. I have one in the mail to me scheduled to arrive next week. Also one thing to note. In september they will be shipping the new ones with a 24/96 usb input that been redesigned and the older ones will be offered a upgrade for there usb input. I dont know if there will be a charge for this. The rest of the inputs are able to handle 24/196. Also there is a review on dagogo on the cd-5 which is the same thing here
http://www.dagogo.com/View-Article.asp?hArticle=687

Aug 13, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #6 of 14
eek.gif
 IT must get up and sing and dance for that sort of money 

Quote:
Yup, $8k new but can be found used on Agon occasionally for less. There's one up now for $4k.

The Ayon CD-5 is basically this DAC + CD player and retails for ~$9k.

Really interested in hearing some impressions of this DAC.

Aug 13, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #7 of 14

Quote:
 IT must get up and sing and dance for that sort of money

I dont know about sing and dance, but at 40lbs it can double as a boat anchor for a small craft.

Aug 14, 2010 at 6:28 AM Post #8 of 14
the casing reminds me of audio-gd ...  China casing?

Aug 14, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #9 of 14
You are correct. This is from the 6moons review,

Quote:
One other important goal of the Ayon designer was proper vibration damping and his chassis is made in China of beautifully crafted, brushed and black anodized high-grade 12mm aluminum. There is another company on the market—Chinese Raysonic Audio—which uses almost identical chassis. It's a brand which in fact was created by the OEM supplier of Ayon's chassis. The Skylla is supported on solid aluminum absorber feet with superior damping characteristics.

Aug 16, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #10 of 14
This is the best dac I have ever heard. An absolute bargain in high end terms. Heard it up against a much more expensive mbl 1611F which sells new for $20k. I'm not going to say the difference was night and day because it wasn't. Hardly any equipment is night and day at this level. But I preferred the Ayon's sweeter presentation. The mbl is an extremely neutral dac though. 

Aug 25, 2010 at 6:59 AM Post #11 of 14
I read the review on a retailers website, seems very impresivle, the vacumm tube output stage should make the DAC very musical at the same time very detailed using 4 1704 chips.

I want one :)

Aug 25, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #12 of 14

Quote:
I read the review on a retailers website, seems very impresivle, the vacumm tube output stage should make the DAC very musical at the same time very detailed using 4 1704 chips.

It uses the 1704K chips which are even better. So far I would say it is the most detailed and dynamic presentation I heard. With the added detail, it still remains smooth and warm with great separation of the instruments. I am noticing that dynamics are really important to place the instruments on the stage and to create a realistic soundstage.

Sep 3, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #13 of 14
Hi guys,
I know this thread is quite old and sleepy, but I´m waiting for my Skylla II to arrive.
I kind of started looking for Tube DACs after having been exposed to the AMR DP 777, which in the SE version really sounds nice.
But there are continuing problems with those machines.
As already mentioned before, the Skylla uses the PCM 1704K chips which in my humble opinion are in many regards the best multibit DAC chips ever.
Delivery is expected by the middle of next week.

Cheers
Kai

Users who are viewing this thread

Back