AXEL GRELL HEADPHONE
May 5, 2024 at 2:27 PM Post #421 of 694
Haven't been around much lately but dropping in to see where the OAE1 is currently at I find this comment sobering, thank you!
Was having the piano tune the other day, it's an upright Yamaha hand assembled in Japan and looking at used prices, which hover around $3k-$5k, I now find it impossible to accept today's escalating prices on headphones considering the amount of work that goes into most musical instruments... Does not compute. lol
IMG_9595.jpeg
Surely one of the best comments here ... . As with everything moderately technical, be that cars, bikes, Hifi and Headfi ... its (mostly) made to appeal to the male ego and priced accordingly.

May 6, 2024 at 7:56 AM Post #423 of 694
Wow, if that's true, there are not good news.
The OAE1 is limited to just 1000 pieces.
Possibly, yes. Requests 2.9K. :rolling_eyes:
Screenshot 2024-05-06 at 7.55.19 AM.png

May 6, 2024 at 10:04 PM Post #424 of 694
May 6, 2024 at 10:10 PM Post #425 of 694
Could mean a couple things. Could mean first batch is 1k, could mean “signature” is limited to 1k, etc.
I also find it strange that the article links to Drop when stating that info, as if it's been announced publicly and is known info. Which it's not.

The info could very well be right, but still a little odd.

May 6, 2024 at 11:42 PM Post #426 of 694
From another German article (Google translated) that went unnoticed:

"The limited edition of the OAE1 signature will be available from May at a price of 500 euros."

Given the previous reports of there being two editions (unsure what the differences are), and two outlets claiming 500 euros, a $500 ish USD price seems all but certain.

https://www.connect.de/news/grell-oae1-signature-preis-hifi-kopfhoerer-3205365.html

May 7, 2024 at 7:41 AM Post #427 of 694
Could mean a couple things. Could mean first batch is 1k, could mean “signature” is limited to 1k, etc.
Yes, of course it can be that 1000 Signature models are sold first (perhaps with an autograph from Axel Grell himself. :wink:) and after that the normal ones without this "Signature Limited Edition Blah-Blah" addition.

The question will be what the difference is between the two models.
I think, more infos will come at the "High End" in Munich, from 9 - 12. May.

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 11:56 AM Post #428 of 694
They apparently go on sale tomorrow on the 9th though lol, so either risk buying the first batch or wait for a second wave and reviews

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 6:22 PM Post #429 of 694
They apparently go on sale tomorrow on the 9th though lol, so either risk buying the first batch or wait for a second wave and reviews
I’m trying to get my review done tonight. Just got off work.

May 8, 2024 at 11:00 PM Post #430 of 694
Funny of Sennheiser to announce a new 600 line headphone with angled drivers the day before these go on sale. But closed back! Cheaper too. Probably not deliberate (and both announcements/on-sale times probably are timed to coincidence with the Munich audio show, if anything) but still. Funny timing.

I'd like to buy both but feel like I have to pick.

May 9, 2024 at 2:34 AM Post #431 of 694
Funny of Sennheiser to announce a new 600 line headphone with angled drivers the day before these go on sale. But closed back! Cheaper too. Probably not deliberate (and both announcements/on-sale times probably are timed to coincidence with the Munich audio show, if anything) but still. Funny timing.

I'd like to buy both but feel like I have to pick.
I think there’s room for both to coexist.

I’ve been hoping for a closed-back HD 660S for years!! The HD 620 is a very different product serving a different use case, I feel. Closed back headphones will sound better than open backed ones in environments with distracting background noise, and they’re better outside too because you’ll hear less whistling of wind. Arguably they’re more versatile. And I’m glad to finally see an HD 600 series headphone with an angled driver.

But at the end of the day, an open back headphone is going to have a higher potential for sound quality. There’s all sorts of physics involved with less resonance and acoustic impedance with the driver in open back headphones like the OAE1 able to vibrate more freely with less influence from the cups. One of Axel’s (and colleagues) last projects at Sennheiser, the HD 820, sought to reduce these factors and many of the innovations from that project are still with the company, as well as Axel’s former colleagues and people he sought to share with. However, the OAE1 is simply one of the most open headphones ever, so it stands in stark contrast. And where the $2400 HD 820 had a few tricks up its sleeve to sound almost like an open headphone, I’m shocked by the sub bass response this open-backed OAE1 is able to develop! The HD 620’s driver angle is, from what I saw, nowhere near as extreme, so the OAE1 is also going to have more human/individual impact on the sound and intuitively believable. Soundstage and the sense of depth is also influenced by moments where the mix of soft ambient environmental noise cannot be distinguished from recorded sound coming from the OAE1.

So anyway, I’m still writing and I’m going to end my little break here. I could justify owning both the HD 620 and OAE1 for different reasons even if I wasn’t a collector, and I suspect (even without hearing it) that the HD 620 will be a long term stablemate for Sennheiser. But right now, I’m in the flow writing about the OAE1, I’m wearing it right now to keep my listening impressions fresh (and in case I hear something extra I want to mention), and it’s the headphone I’ve been reaching for since it got here… to the point where it’s a bummer to reach for something else for the sake of comparison in the review 😂

I’ve carefully started my review with descriptions, listening notes, and comparisons before sharing my opinion at the end, but spoiler: the overall impression is very positive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back