Awesome system, crappy electricity... what to do?
Jul 13, 2007 at 2:21 AM Post #17 of 22
Another recommendation for PS Audio power regenerators (and a vote against UPS distortion-makers and expensive power filters that end up reducing the power to your components). I went from the P300 (great, but I needed more power) to a P500 (even better, but then I got a nice speaker amp that needed even more) to a Premier (finally, a power product that not only handles my 250W speaker amp, but actually makes it sound better).

I've auditioned Balanced Power Technologies (OK I guess...actually, it really didn't seem to do anything), Shunyata (nice I guess, except for the power reduction resulting in insufficient bass), and an APC UPS thing that I used to use with my computer (yuck).

If you are looking for something simpler (and less expensive), the only filter I've used that didn't make my setup sound worse is the new PS Audio Duet (warning...the older PS Audio filters, like the Ultimate Outlet and UPC-200, are not nearly as good).

Jul 13, 2007 at 2:56 AM Post #18 of 22
In my defense, I have yet to use a true regenerator for my audio equipment. However, in my research lab we do use regenerators for our best equipment and detectors, and the oscilloscopes prove that they do in fact reduce noise in signals, etc. - I am not claiming true regenerators are snake oil! They work, and I've seen the proof.

At some point I would like to try one (a good one); however I do not have the cash at the moment. My comments are only relevant for my low-end Monster filter; it is emphatically NOT a true power regenerator.

Just trying to damp the flames a bit
wink.gif

Jul 13, 2007 at 9:41 AM Post #19 of 22
The only drawback to using power regeneration is cost. If $2-4k is affordable, then the PS Audio Premier Power Center and the Shunyata V-RAY should both be considered.

Jun 29, 2009 at 5:17 AM Post #21 of 22
I have a Monster AVS 2000 in my home theater system, and can attest to its effectiveness. I got it for a steal a couple of years ago. This thread is making me wonder of I should plop it onto my headphone rig to see how it improves the sound.

Jun 29, 2009 at 6:21 AM Post #22 of 22
@ OP

Is it possible just to pay for an electrician to upgrade the Main Circuit breaker and the one for your room. One thing with house wiring. If the Room Breaker fails the Mains will automatically be tripped with it.

This is just a guess. as I am no electrician. A professional electrician wouldn't cost $30 and hour anyway. he should be able to compute the apropriate ration of the Mains to the individual rooms. the electrician will also advise you on safety code on you local district for power too.

A 60 amp for the Mains
Amazon.com: Siemens Q260 Circuit Breaker, 2-Pole 60-Amp: Home Improvement

A 20AMP for the room in question and if you have a spare for your Home RIg.
Amazon.com: Siemens Q2020 Circuit Breaker, Two-1-Poles 20-Amp: Home Improvement

I know I might also be flamed but. Power conditioners do work. but the price for one will surmount to the price of one amplifier itself. Shunyata Hydra and teh PS Audio are examples. But they still will require a big supply of current minimum I believe is 15amp. the mains might still be checked for this.

With regards to actual noise. You can try power stabilizers (here we go again) PS Audio carries one active line conditioner. I'm using an Acoustic Revive CD2 a passive one. they cost less than 10% of the cost of the power conditioners stated abaove.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back