Aviator, MDR V6, or M50
Nov 8, 2012 at 5:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Minarets

500+ Head-Fier
I am looking for something for my ipod/iphone and fashion isn't of up-most importance.
Leakage doesn't really matter.

I had the V6s many moons ago and loved them. Tried the Aviator at a Target the other day and was suprised at how good they sounded. And their warranty is unbeatable. Lifetime? And they give full replacement?
I have never tried the M50s.

I currently have the AKG K81 DJs and really enjoy them but am looking for something new. I am not a bass head, but want it to be there. I hate flat sounding phones. I listen to DMB, Coldplay, Mumford, Avett Bros so on....mostly. Lots of 90s rock and some 90s rap.

What say you?
$150 max budget.

Thanks

Nov 8, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #2 of 22
m50 / srh 840 /dt 770 pro 80s ..

all in your budget.. 

all great sounding ..

Nov 8, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #3 of 22
The Aviators or the Beyers would probably suit you. The Shures are quite flat and in my experience, don't always play well with rock(especially badly mastered tracks).

Nov 8, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #4 of 22
I'd suggest the Koss Pro DJ 100. They're on sale at Best Buy for $60 and you can even demo them first! Just look in the pro audio department. The DJ200 on display should sound the same.
Then I'd suggest investing in something like a Fiio E6 or E5. They're dirt cheap and can improve most headphones slightly. An E11 would be even better. Or a Total Airhead (which is larger, but can drive even an HD-600)
Total price would be under $90.

I actually think the DJ100 sounds better than the V6, SRH-840 and M50. I had the last two for at least a year. The M50 does have more bass. SRH-840 has more of a mid-bass hump than the DJ100 and some prefer this. The comfort on the SRH-840 was terrible for me and it's not very portable and kind of awkward to wear.

Nov 8, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #5 of 22
Hmm, I need to demo those DJ 100. Thanks. Will try, especially at that price.

I have never heard a SkullCandy set sound remotely decent until hearing the Aviators. They were the most comfy I have tried in awhile too. My K81 had lots of stretching to do before they became comfy. The V6 were good just got hot after long use, even after the velour pads for me.

Nov 8, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #6 of 22
Ill tell you, I'd love to get some House of Marley Exodus, based on looks alone, but can't find enough reviews on them.

Nov 8, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:
Ill tell you, I'd love to get some House of Marley Exodus, based on looks alone, but can't find enough reviews on them.

I found the Aviators to be slightly better with a fuller, thicker sound and had much better isolation(the HMV at my hometown had the Marleys and the Aviators next to each other with a D2000 at the very end). The Marleys feel some what insubstantial as well.

Nov 8, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:
I am looking for something for my ipod/iphone and fashion isn't of up-most importance.
Leakage doesn't really matter.
I had the V6s many moons ago and loved them. Tried the Aviator at a Target the other day and was suprised at how good they sounded. And their warranty is unbeatable. Lifetime? And they give full replacement?
I have never tried the M50s.
I currently have the AKG K81 DJs and really enjoy them but am looking for something new. I am not a bass head, but want it to be there. I hate flat sounding phones. I listen to DMB, Coldplay, Mumford, Avett Bros so on....mostly. Lots of 90s rock and some 90s rap.
What say you?
$150 max budget.
Thanks

Heya,

If the Aviators sounded great and you liked the warranty, you should probably go for it.

Alternatively, I'd suggest:

Ultrasone HFI 580 (bassy) or 780 (more balanced)
Brainwavz HM5 (mp4nation.net)
AKG K167 (a little over budget, but used on amazon is near your price range)
AudioTechnica A700X
Shure SRH840

Very best,

Nov 8, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

I found the Aviators to be slightly better with a fuller, thicker sound and had much better isolation(the HMV at my hometown had the Marleys and the Aviators next to each other with a D2000 at the very end). The Marleys feel some what insubstantial as well.

Oh nice. So you got to compare back to back? Aviators vs Exodus? I haven't found the exodus anywhere around here. I'd also entertain the Stir it Up just based on looks and detachable cable, even though they are $200.

My problem with the Marleys are there just aren't enough reviews. Love their looks and supposed quality though. So tou preferred the aviators to the exodus?

I will say the I like that the aviators were over ears and not huge at the same time. They were light weight and seemed like they could be worn for a long time with no pain. The con, a tad plasticy.

Nov 8, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #10 of 22
I would pick the Aviators over the exodus. The Marleys, while the build seemed solid enough, it had the same sort of fragile feeling as a sennheiser PX200.
The exodus didn't quite have the fullness of sound that I like, while the aviators, imo aren't quite as detailed as the exodus, but were more fun to listen to.

Both were very comfy. The Aviators really soft pads and over ear size pushed it ahead though.

Nov 8, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #11 of 22
I tried those Aviators at Target on demo and they actually sounded pretty good. Way better than the latest Sony X-Factor nonsense headphone that's $300!
Too bad that the Aviators don't fit my head. I had to extend them all the way. I don't have a horse shaped head either.

I absolutely hate the design of them though. Looks ridiculous to me. Of course I prefer plain looking headphones like the DJ100, HD-600, Jecklin Floats and KRK KNS-8400.

Nov 8, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #12 of 22
I loved the Aviator's sound - just wish it actually isolated for portable use (I take the train every day so that was a deal-breaker).

The SRH840 and M50 are worth looking at and both isolate much better if that's important to you.

Nov 8, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #13 of 22
Do the Aviators have enough bass? I guess that is relative, but is it lacking bass? Now that I think of it, the song that sounded so good on display was a non bass type song.

Nov 8, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #14 of 22
My impression of the aviators is that they are fairly bass heavy.  Similar bass response to the M50 really, just less V shaped.   I still didn't think they were well suited to rock at all though.

That said, I'm a bit of a grado fan when it comes to listening to rock music, so if that's not your cup of tea, my impression of them in that sense is probably meaningless to you.

Nov 9, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #15 of 22
i dont think the koss dj100 is gonna suit drum and bass (DMB?) listening as good as some of the bass heavy  cans ..the dt 770 pro 80s would be the best option to cover most of your genres as far as my ears go ..

the srh 840 is superb value! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back