Average Head-fi'er?
Nov 11, 2011 at 7:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 65

songmic

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi guys. I've been doing head-fi (as in headphone-fi) for a couple of years now, but I only recently joined this Head-fi website as an official member.  I have a few friends who are audiophiles, but I happen to be the only headphile around people I know. Wonder why it took me this long to discover such a great forum website for us headphiles around the world.

Anyway, the reason I started this thread is simple: I just want to know what kind of people are into this headphile gig. So tell me, what kind of person are you? Let's start by answering some simple questions listed below - I'll go first :)

1. Place or country?
Seoul, South Korea

2. Age
22 (am I one of the youngest Head-fi'ers out here?)

3. Gender?
Male (though I assume over 90% of Head-fi'ers are males)

4. Job?
Medical student

5. Extra hobbies?
Playing tennis, guitar, video games; watching films, TV series, anime, etc.

Nov 11, 2011 at 7:48 AM Post #2 of 65
Asia

Male

Retired

Walking the Dog, Walking/Hiking, Swimming in the Ocean and Pool, Movies, Cooking, Music, Guitar Playing, Partying With Friends and Reading Books.

Nov 11, 2011 at 7:57 AM Post #3 of 65

1. Place or country?
Singapore/Johor

2. Age

3. Gender?
Male

4. Job?
Engineering student (nt gonna say which)

5. Extra hobbies?
Leisure cycling, drawing buildings, don't really like parties and big gatherings more of a lone wolf (srs), long walks in quiet places.

Nov 11, 2011 at 8:11 AM Post #4 of 65
1. Place or country?
Australia

2. Age
18 (And I'm sure I'm not the youngest in Head-Fi)

3. Gender
Male

4. Job
Student, but I work on a contract as a tennis coach (because I'm an ex-tennis player).

5. Extra hobbies
I love playing different musical instruments and compose music as an amateur.

Nov 11, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #5 of 65
1. Place or country?
Winschoten, the Netherlands

2. Age

3. Gender?
male

4. Job?
working at a social security office, doing administration

5. Extra hobbies?
reading about news and music, listening to music, walking the dogs and dogs in general

Nov 11, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #6 of 65

1. Place or country?
Perth, Australia

2. Age

3. Gender?
male

4. Job?
Student

5. Extra hobbies?

Video games, computer hardware, shopping (cloth, lighting, furniture etc)

Nov 11, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #7 of 65
1. Place or country?
Northern Virginia USA

2. Age

3. Gender?
Male

4. Job?
Audio engineer by trade, currently doing sales at a motorcycle dealership

5. Extra hobbies?
Motorcycles, classic bicycles (pre 1985 BMX and italian steel bikes and Campagnolo parts) comic books...

Nov 12, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #8 of 65
Quote:
Anyway, the reason I started this thread is simple: I just want to know what kind of people are into this headphile gig. So tell me, what kind of person are you? Let's start by answering some simple questions listed below - I'll go first :)  
1. Place or country?

2. Age

3. Gender?

4. Job?

5. Extra hobbies?

I'm going to start by relating my experience acquired through attending many Head-Fi meets around the USA over the past 5 years (more than 30 meets to date), which I'm guessing is what you really want to know.

Based on my meet attendance throughout the USA, I'd say that the average Head-Fier in the USA is:
- Age: 18-35 is the most prolific, 35-65 next most prolific (if I had to break it down more, probably 35-50 followed by 50-65). Though I've also met Head-Fiers over 65.
- Gender: 99.999999% male (not sure how many 9's to put there). I've only ever met 2 actual female Head-Fiers (that weren't a wife/girlfriend/etc) and neither of them were in my age range (they were in the 35-65 range).
- Job: Though I don't usually ask people what their job is when I meet them, I've usually found out indirectly, and some careers that I know of that Head-Fiers hold have included: lawyers, doctors or medical personnel otherwise, accountants, bankers, school teachers, professors/scientists, freelance consultants, engineers (mechanical, electrical, aerospace, & software), counselors, retail sales or management, audio mixing & mastering, and graphics design. Plus of course, people still in school not yet working full-time - high school, college (undergrad), or graduate school.

As for me, I'm 30, M, employed full-time in the computer software industry (don't really want to specify my job), and my top favorite hobbies are hiking, skiing, travel, photography, & music (I'm a trained musician and I'm trying to get into music production).

Nov 12, 2011 at 4:03 AM Post #10 of 65

Quote:
- Gender: 99.999999% male (not sure how many 9's to put there). I've only ever met 2 actual female Head-Fiers (that weren't a wife/girlfriend/etc) and neither of them were in my age range (they were in the 35-65 range).

Like the coelacanth, we do exist but are something of a rarity.

Nov 12, 2011 at 4:47 AM Post #12 of 65
1. Place or country?
France (moving all around and that's mainly why i turned up looking into this alibaba's cave of a website)

2. Age

3. Gender?
male and yeah i m here for the girls obviously.

4. Job?
i'm driving trains

5. Extra hobbies?
the usual movies/series/anime/manga addiction ( i read anything, comics or manga as long as it s not about pokemon/card playing battles, and doesn't involve any 12year old girl with a magic stick) , most fps on pc and a little bit of car games.
on the addiction and money consuming  level, i ll have to put in first photography, then travels, then computers and at last sweet noisy stuff. (but since i ve joined in here i ve got the feeling someone's going to rank up pretty fast.)

Nov 12, 2011 at 5:10 AM Post #13 of 65

1. Place or country?
New Zealand (the other 'Down Under')

2. Age

3. Gender?
Male

4. Job?
Sales Manager in an export company (NZ Lamb)

5. Extra hobbies?
Golf, rugby (now only watching - but used to play). mucking round with computers (linux - compiling etc), reading, travel.

Nov 12, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #14 of 65

1. Place or country?
Dubai, UAE

2. Age

3. Gender?
Male

4. Job?
None. 10th grade High School student.

5. Extra hobbies?
Gaming, reading (anything from Romance to Japanese Manga), photography (amateur), shopping, cars, culinary, computers

Nov 12, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #15 of 65

1. Place or country?
Originally from Victoria, BC, Canada. Living in Dubai, UAE

2. Age

3. Gender?
Male

4. Job?
Too young :)

5. Extra hobbies?
Drumming,Being awkward and Anti-social, Playing/watching Hockey, Reading, and being to damn bombarded with homework :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back