Available - RSA "The Black Bird" SR-71A, Redesigned, Resized AMP images page 1,28, 33, 34, 39 . Mini review: 40, 41, 45 .
Oct 31, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #586 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by bce22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone around compare to iqube? If so what's your take? I love the iqube but may by a second amp especially if it works better than iqube with earth beyers v3 & v4. Any takes?

Luminette has compared them and he returned the SR-71a, but I don't think he had the SR-71a long enough to properly burn it in.

Oct 31, 2008 at 2:21 PM Post #587 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by bce22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone around compare to iqube? If so what's your take? I love the iqube but may by a second amp especially if it works better than iqube with earth beyers v3 & v4. Any takes?

I personally thought the SR-71A trounced the iQube in every way. I never really understood what people heard in the iQube overall.

Oct 31, 2008 at 2:34 PM Post #588 of 674
Different ears, different gear. I compared both amps. Overall, I preferred the iQube. The SR-71A is a nice amp indeed. Mine had in the neighborhood of 250 hours or so. I really liked its bass but I felt its strong bass presence left the top-end lacking a bit. The iQube to my ears was more neutral had better treble extension and air and a better balanced sound overall.

Quote:

Originally Posted by digihead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I personally thought the SR-71A trounced the iQube in every way. I never really understood what people heard in the iQube overall.

Oct 31, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #589 of 674
I compared the original SR71 and preferred it over the iQube. I plan on comparing the SR71 w/ the SR71A this weekend and hope to borrow an iQube to do a 3 way shootout. Maybe I should include the MiniBox-E+ and the D3.

Oct 31, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #590 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I compared the original SR71 and preferred it over the iQube. I plan on comparing the SR71 w/ the SR71A this weekend and hope to borrow an iQube to do a 3 way shootout. Maybe I should include the MiniBox-E+ and the D3.

If it would not be too much of a distraction, including the MiniBox-E+ and the D3 would be very helpful, since they are more affordable and are more available at a larger scale of production - if adding them would not spread the focus of the comparison session out too thin.

Nov 5, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #592 of 674
Mine is #333
wink.gif
But I ordered it about a month ago, and asked Ray if I could get this number ... I'm glad with this amp.

Now running the amp with "Fischer 270 mAh". Not sure if it's the right battery, but it seems to be the best available here in Thailand.

Nov 5, 2008 at 6:45 AM Post #594 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by glc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I should have asked him for #500 so that I can say I have the last one built....

think #500 is bought by someone in Singapore....
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 5, 2008 at 1:32 PM Post #595 of 674
I'm wondering whether Ray might after all find that he can go on making SR-71as after the initial 500 are done. Saying it's a limited run might be just a way of stimulating demand.

Nov 5, 2008 at 3:11 PM Post #596 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by DennyL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm wondering whether Ray might after all find that he can go on making SR-71as after the initial 500 are done. Saying it's a limited run might be just a way of stimulating demand.

I have never said that this is a limited run, I hope it is not, as there is a great demand for more, but I have indicated many times that after almost a year with no parts for the original SR-71, we managed to get enough to make ONLY 500 units. So far it does not look good as to getting more parts, but sure hope that through another miracle I could purchase the parts needed to make more SR-71A. If I can't then you have seen the last of the SR-71A.
Ray Samuels

Nov 5, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #597 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have never said that this is a limited run

Quote:

Currently, we have a great demand for the SR-71A, especially from Japan. We could only get enough parts to manufacture 500 amps.

<snip>

The SR-71A will be shipped to those who send payment first. If you wish to purchase the SR-71A, we will honor as many requests as we can, upon payment.

Unfortunately, the New SR-71A is not as inexpensive as we would like it to be, because all of the materials needed for fabrication and chassis has risen in price (especially when only 500 units can be made)...

Ray,

Those are your statements from the announcement and while you don't specifically state that the amp will be a limited edition you certainly at least hint at the fact that there will only be 500 of them and to get them while you can. I think that's where the confusion might be coming from.

Nov 5, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #598 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ray,

Those are your statements from the announcement and while you don't specifically state that the amp will be a limited edition you certainly at least hint at the fact that there will only be 500 of them and to get them while you can. I think that's where the confusion might be coming from.

If they were limited, as you say, I would have "SPECIFICALLY" indicated that the SR-71A is limited to 500 & only 500 unit. This still does not mean that I can make any more of this amp. If no parts are available then this is it.
Ray Samuels

Nov 5, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #599 of 674
Quote:

If they were limited, as you say, I would have "SPECIFICALLY" indicated that the SR-71A is limited to 500 & only 500 unit. This still does not mean that I can make any more of this amp. If no parts are available then this is it.
Ray Samuels

Ray,

I didn't say anything, I just quoted what you said and offered a possible explanation regarding what might have caused people confusion. I agree, in no way did you specifically state that the run would be limited to 500.

I think you're reading intent in my post that just isn't there.

Nov 6, 2008 at 2:49 AM Post #600 of 674
Long time head-fi-er. Minimal poster.

Unfortunately, I don't have time to post reviews or long impressions.

Having said that, my sr-71a arrived 48 hours after placing my order online 2 days ago. (#379).

RSA communication & shipping is excellent. I truly can't wait to try another amp/preamp from this company. I might have to go straight for their vinyl pickings.

My SR-71A (not broken in at all)sounds great from the get-go. Consider me a new fan-boy.

Regards,
woodcans

Users who are viewing this thread

Back