Auzentech X-fi Bravura 7.1 Sneak Peek
Oct 8, 2010 at 4:52 AM Post #406 of 447
Yea you  can pick which device you want audio to come out in music players, Some games also have the option while most dont. Other wise for programs that dont give you the option, you will have to make what you wanna use primary in the control system.

Oct 9, 2010 at 9:33 AM Post #408 of 447
You have to do it manaully if you wanna make it primary.

Oct 27, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #409 of 447
Hi!

I finally got my Bravura yesterday, so I wanted to share my impressions with you.

First of all, installing the card went flawlessly, so no issues there. I used the latest official driver.

Afterwards, I hooked up my Gigaworks S750 speakers and my Sennheiser HD-25-II headphones. The sound from the headphones was fine, but I noticed crackling, disturbing noises when using speakers, created when new audio samples were played, for example when starting or stopping an audio track in WinAMP. I googled a little and found a hint saying that linking the SPDIF-IN to the speaker-out in the audio mixer would solve the issue. So I tried this and indeed, the disturbing noise was gone, so frist issue solved.

Compared with my Prelude, the sound from the anolog speaker out got a little worse, it lacks a bit of depth/dynamics compared to the Prelude. The drawback is really minimal, so no issue there.

The headphone-out really sounds very nice, I have an OPA627 too so I will give it a try.

So far, I'm really happy with the card, the only issue remaining is the missing THX-Console.
As I use the analog out with my Gigaworks S750 (in 5.1 config), I'd really like to setup up / calibrate the speakers properly. The THX-Console worked really fine with the Prelude, but I can't get it running with the Bravura.

Did someone give it a try and got it running? In case the THXconsole is a lost case with the Bravura, can someone please suggest some alternative software that fulfills the purpose of the THXconsole?

Oh, and one last question. When applying CMSS-3D, the effect is applied to both speakers and headphones (like shown in the console - applied to headphones/speakers) ... Is there a way to apply the CMSS-3D effect to the speakers ONLY?

Greetz

Oct 27, 2010 at 10:14 AM Post #410 of 447
You cannot use the THX panel on the Bravura.  The version you have is meant for hardware DSP cards such as the Prelude, Forte, HTHD..etc.  The Bravura uses a software based chipset.

Nov 3, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #412 of 447

Quote:
The mode buttons are explained in the manual. They are basically there for different types of cans and microphones.

Hi (new Bravura owner & Head-fi member here) ... where did you find a Bravura manual that goes into that kind of detail?  the one I downloaded from the Auzentech site is *very* brief and doesn't describe the mode buttons.  The manual I have is "BRAVURA_MANUAL_2010-02-10_Eng.pdf" from http://www.auzensupport.com/site/download/manuals.php .

And, on a second note, I (just installed a few hours ago) haven't found yet how to configure the device so I can manually select between speakers & headphones.  I have my phones (Sennheiser 595) plugged into the back panel jack.  I have a pair of Klipsch promedia 2.1 speakers plugged in as speakers for now using the "green" jack.  The only way I've found to switch between them is to use the Windows audio control panel.   According to the manual Section 4.1, there should be a button on the Console Launcher (headphone section) to select which output to use.  But mine has no such control.  Furthermore the large volume control and the small headphone volume control on the front panel both control only the speakers/headphones (whichever is in use at the time).  Aren't they supposed to control the two seperately?

I installed the driver v1.35 from Sept 10th.

Thanks!

p.s. anyway I am testing with the 'phones and they sound amazing!  I keep removing the headphones thinking somehow the speakers are playing by accident
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
.   And I keep hearing things in the music that make me think, "oh wow!"
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 4, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #413 of 447

Quote:
Here are someother configuraitons I have been testing on this card:
Head amp: OPA2111AM
Fronts: LME49710HA
Rears: LME49710HA
CNT/SUB: LME49710HA/OPA227P
Sides: JRC5532 -I don't use the side outputs.
LME49710HA.jpg

These OPA2111AM's I built sound great on this design. Actually they sound great in every design I have tested them on.
Head amp: OPA2111AM
Fronts: OPA2111AM
Rears: OPA2111AM
CNT/SUB: LME49710HA/OPA227P
Sides: JRC5532 -I don't use the side outputs.
OPA2111AM.jpg

I have also been testing out the OPA627 for the headphone amplifier and it has good synergy with that design.

Need some help here.  I have been experimenting with opamps and have enjoyed the OPA2111KP for awhile in my Bravura.  I finally got around to soldering my TO-99 opamps onto adapters (Browndog).  They don't work!  I am pretty sure I put pin 1 (tab) into the right hole on the adapter.  Neither the LME49720HA nor the LME49710HA work.  Just dead air.  I thought I might have screwed up the double dip8 to single adapters but they work fine with my OPA227P's.  I will link my pictures from my Picasa album and you can take a look.  I have some macro shots.

http://picasaweb.google.com/thezfunk/OpampHelp?authkey=Gv1sRgCO7eqKDkq5uyFQ&feat=directlink

I tried to see how ROBSCIX did his but I can't really tell from his post which I quoted above.

Is the tab on the TO-99 actually pin 8?  Is that what I did wrong?

Nov 7, 2010 at 12:29 PM Post #414 of 447
Yes, the TAB is pin 8...
If you used the tab as pin 1 then you rotated the pin out.  Pull them apart and solder them the right way and test them again.  They MAY work but you may have toasted them.
With opamps or any IC, make sure you know exactly how to install them or you can burn them very easily.
Hope that helps.

Nov 8, 2010 at 7:32 AM Post #415 of 447

Quote:
Hi (new Bravura owner & Head-fi member here) ... where did you find a Bravura manual that goes into that kind of detail?  the one I downloaded from the Auzentech site is *very* brief and doesn't describe the mode buttons.  The manual I have is "BRAVURA_MANUAL_2010-02-10_Eng.pdf" from http://www.auzensupport.com/site/download/manuals.php .

And, on a second note, I (just installed a few hours ago) haven't found yet how to configure the device so I can manually select between speakers & headphones.  I have my phones (Sennheiser 595) plugged into the back panel jack.  I have a pair of Klipsch promedia 2.1 speakers plugged in as speakers for now using the "green" jack.  The only way I've found to switch between them is to use the Windows audio control panel.   According to the manual Section 4.1, there should be a button on the Console Launcher (headphone section) to select which output to use.  But mine has no such control.  Furthermore the large volume control and the small headphone volume control on the front panel both control only the speakers/headphones (whichever is in use at the time).  Aren't they supposed to control the two seperately?

I installed the driver v1.35 from Sept 10th.

Thanks!

p.s. anyway I am testing with the 'phones and they sound amazing!  I keep removing the headphones thinking somehow the speakers are playing by accident
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
.   And I keep hearing things in the music that make me think, "oh wow!"
smily_headphones1.gif

Hi bheiser!

I use this little fine tool to switch between the headphone- and the speaker-output.
You can define a hotkey to switch between the two outputs, it works flawlessly. It's an auto-it script which simulates actions to switch between the outputs in the windows' audio console.

Furthermore, I got a question of my own. I got a bunch of nice headphones for testing last week, the AKG K701, Beyerdynamic DT-880 2005 and DT-990 Pro and the Sennheiser HD650. I tested all of them with my Bravura (standard OP-AMPs so far), I really like the sound, the only thing I'm missing at certain points is the bass. I tested all of the headphones with a stationary amp (an old Technics one) and I got _FAR more bass out of all of them. Not that I'm a bass-fetishist or something (in the contrary, I like neutral, well balanced sound), but I really miss a little pressure/punch in some songs, mainly the electronics genre (Prodigy, Chemical Brothers, ...).

Do you have any suggestions on how to improve the bass characteristics of the Bravura's headphone output? The Bass-Boost in the Audio Panel sounds like crap and there is no Bass-Control in the Audio Panel either (as opposed to my old Prelude, which had a bass and a treble control in the right part of the Audio Panel's main page).
Would some other OP-AMPs improve the bass-characteristics? Or what should I try to improve ths sound?

Thanks for your replies!
Greetz

Nov 8, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #416 of 447

Quote:
Yes, the TAB is pin 8...
If you used the tab as pin 1 then you rotated the pin out.  Pull them apart and solder them the right way and test them again.  They MAY work but you may have toasted them.
With opamps or any IC, make sure you know exactly how to install them or you can burn them very easily.
Hope that helps.

In my defense, I have never soldered up an op amp in a TO-99 package before and based on the fact that any other IC I have ever soldered has an indentation or mark denoting pin 1, I assumed that the tab on these op amps was also denoting pin 1.  Why would the standard be any different?  Why mark pin 8?  Oh well, I just nuked $100+ dollars with of op amps; expensive lesson to learn but I won't make that mistake again. 

Nov 8, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #417 of 447
hey all,
     I should hopefully be receiving my Bravura tomorrow, although i got an email about an attempted delivery today that never happened!
so hopefully it doesn't get shipped straight back to auzentech :p given that I'm in Ireland an all!

anyway aside from that I'm wondering if i wanted to hook it up to a HP amp for example a Little Dot mkIII, would i be right in thinking I'd need
to go from spdif to rca?

Nov 9, 2010 at 10:07 AM Post #418 of 447
OK so the card arrived, I'm having problems right from the start though, after installing the card win7(64) recognized it after the first reboot but not after that and now when i try to install the drivers i get this...

"Setup is unable to detect a supported product on your system..."

i don't have on-board sound so that's not an issue, i removed the SupremeFX X-fi that came with my Crosshair III, uninstalled the drivers and ran driver sweep on-top of that and updated the chipset too and still nothing
frown.gif

any advice? anyone had similar problems? I'm really at a loss at this stage. i checked auzentech's forums and a few people have posted about similar situations but there's never any reply's.

Update:

Crisis averted! seems it was just kaspersky breaking my install, now i just have to figure out how to get rid of the noise coming of the headphone out
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 10, 2010 at 11:11 AM Post #419 of 447
OK, so far, I've tried the OPA627AU, these do sound a bit better than the standard OP-AMP of the card, plus they improve the bass characteristics a little bit, IMO.

What other OP-AMPs would you recommend? Maybe the OPA2111SM or even the metal can version of the 627, the OPA627SM?

Btw, I plan on upgrading the headphone-out only. ^^

Quote:
Furthermore, I got a question of my own. I got a bunch of nice headphones for testing last week, the AKG K701, Beyerdynamic DT-880 2005 and DT-990 Pro and the Sennheiser HD650. I tested all of them with my Bravura (standard OP-AMPs so far), I really like the sound, the only thing I'm missing at certain points is the bass. I tested all of the headphones with a stationary amp (an old Technics one) and I got _FAR more bass out of all of them. Not that I'm a bass-fetishist or something (in the contrary, I like neutral, well balanced sound), but I really miss a little pressure/punch in some songs, mainly the electronics genre (Prodigy, Chemical Brothers, ...).

Do you have any suggestions on how to improve the bass characteristics of the Bravura's headphone output? The Bass-Boost in the Audio Panel sounds like crap and there is no Bass-Control in the Audio Panel either (as opposed to my old Prelude, which had a bass and a treble control in the right part of the Audio Panel's main page).
Would some other OP-AMPs improve the bass-characteristics? Or what should I try to improve ths sound?

Thanks for your replies!
Greetz

Nov 10, 2010 at 11:49 AM Post #420 of 447
You can try OPA2107Aps which are a cheaper ver of the OPA627s, I tried them with the AKG 702s and they worked great,Tho expect for my issues with the bravura and the AKG 702s Which wasnt being driven right on the bravura headphone amp. Which went away when I move on to a STX. I had major volume issues and SQ issues related to them not being driven on the bravura headphone amp not supplying enough mWs which the STX does at the headphone ohm for the mW req of the AKGs.

For your AKGs no matter which op-amps you roll your best choice is to use a standalone hp amp or a STX with them, as STX hp amp outputs enough voltage at the ohm req to supply enough mWs for the AKG 701/2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back