Auzen Prelude- which Mode do you use?
Mar 31, 2008 at 12:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all,

Just bought a Auzen X-Fi Prelude (damn you, HeadFi, damn you!) and was wondering what setting(s) my fellow PC Audio HeadFiers use.

I like the transparency(?) of the Bit-Matched 96khz Audio Creation Mode, however I really like the Bass and Treble dials on the Entertainment Mode. It's nice to be able to "bass boost" on albums that need it, and conversely to be able to tone down the treble on albums that are sibilant or badly recorded (i.e. harsh treble)

Thoughts, please
smily_headphones1.gif

-Sdu/DK

Mar 31, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #2 of 37
I use audio creation mode with my xtrememusic
tongue.gif
, I know not the card you are talking about, but I thought I would vote in your poll.

Mar 31, 2008 at 1:57 PM Post #3 of 37
audio creation mode 96khz bit matched.

Not enough bass ?? Launch winamp, add ASIO support (asio.dll) + resampling at 96khz in ultra mode. Another world, really. I use it with my dynaudio BM5A active monitors (waiting my tube pre-amp and my OPA627 opamps for my perfect home studio setup).

Even in Games, keep the audio creation mode 96khz. You'll loose CMSS-3D/EAX but it is way better (impacts, warm bass).

Mar 31, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #4 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by helios4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Not enough bass ?? Launch winamp, add ASIO support (asio.dll) + resampling at 96khz in ultra mode. Another world, really. I use it with my dynaudio BM5A active monitors (waiting my tube pre-amp and my OPA627 opamps for my perfect home studio setup).

Even in Games, keep the audio creation mode 96khz. You'll loose CMSS-3D/EAX but it is way better (impacts, warm bass).

Tried that. I actually haven't had much luck with ASIO on the Prelude so far. However i'm using foobar, which IMO is frustrating when using ASIO.

In any case, maybe it's the headphones? I'm only using SR80 at this point :/

Thing is, in other situations i've gotten plenty of bass from these cans. Hm.

Mar 31, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #5 of 37
I have X-Fi Elite Pro. About similar to Prelude but not as good line-out amplification. Audio Creation + Bit Matched playback offers what source should be doing, as faithfull playback as possible with hardware on hand. For gaming I use Gaming mode + EAX and CMSS3D enabled. I never use Entertaiment mode, its almost obsolete. For movies I also use Gaming mode but disable EAX and CMSS3D and let Dolby Headphone do the surrounding.

Mar 31, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #6 of 37
Interesting... sounds like none of you guys like using the Treble and Bass dials.

Are they just un-necessary in your systems? I find some CDs/tracks to be bass-shy or treble-emphasized, so the dials come in handy.

Then again, i'm plugging directly into the soundcard w/my SR80s, I don't have an amp at all. i really don't want to get into the whole Headphone Amp thing, I blew about 3500$ on HeadFi in the past and there wasn't a point that was "satisfying" in SQ unfortunately. Badly-recorded albums or albums with harsh treble still sounded bad.

Mar 31, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #7 of 37
We tend to use either external equalizer or equalizer built in playing software. Much more freedom what you want to boost or recess, what certain bass frequencies you want to adjust to give more power to hit impact, or more power to deep rumble. And even that is rare for me, I tend to keep EQ flat and let the sound play as it was mixed. They also damage soundquality. I let the headphones do the coloring instead.

Apr 1, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #8 of 37
I "love" my denon D5000 headphones with my MF x-can v3 amplifier connected to the prelude. Maybe you need a AMP for your SR80.

a darkvoice perhaps ?
smily_headphones1.gif

note: do not activate the headphone optimization in the x-fi panel

Apr 1, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #10 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I let the headphones do the coloring instead.

Yes, I am wondering if the treble harshness and lack of "impact" may at times just be the SR80 itself.

Apr 3, 2008 at 11:08 PM Post #11 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I am wondering if the treble harshness and lack of "impact" may at times just be the SR80 itself.

I just downloaded the newest vers. of Foobar2000 - (I was using 0.9.4 previously)

With that taken care of , I got Foobar's ASIO Output working with 24/96 Bit-Matched playback in the Prelude control panel!
biggrin.gif

Sounds pretty awesome on my PC speakers (tsk tsk i know lol) but still sounds a bit "off" in the treble and bass on my SR80. Admittedly, though (once again) I may just be revealing the limitations of this entry-level headphone.

And, of course, i'll need a HeadAmp eventually
wink.gif
I'm thinking of getting that ZERO talked about in: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...re-amp-269458/

Apr 4, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #12 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by helios4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What does it mean 96khz bit matched. I thought in bit matched there's no resampling, (usually 44.1 for cd)
I use winamp with asio and xFi Creation mode, bit matched; when i play an audio file or even a video file, the sample rate in the console changes automatically to the original sample of the file.(usually 48khz for video)
I dont think you achieve anything resampling to 96khz, because theres no audio card that can convert without loosing, at least you loose the originality of the audio.

Apr 4, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #13 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What does it mean 96khz bit matched. I thought in bit matched there's no resampling, (usually 44.1 for cd)
I use winamp with asio and xFi Creation mode, bit matched; when i play an audio file or even a video file, the sample rate in the console changes automatically to the original sample of the file.(usually 48khz for video)
I dont think you achieve anything resampling to 96khz, because theres no audio card that can convert without loosing, at least you loose the originality of the audio.

1) First, double-click the Auxen icon in yoru system tray.
2) Once this screen is loaded, click "Snapshot" in the top right and select "RMAA 2496"
smily_headphones1.gif

3) Next, assure you are resampling in Winamp. If you don't complete this step, your output *will* be 44.1kHz and then the soundcard's software will notice that, and adjust its own sample rate to match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back