automated FLAC to ?????
Jan 24, 2006 at 11:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

m_memmory

1000+ Head-Fier
I've just brought myself a nice external 320Gb harddrive with the idea of being able to save onto it my entire CD collection in FLAC and keep a lossless copy of it all to listen to when on my PC (and means I can lend albums out knowing that I've still got the music should the CD return scratched to unlistenable)

I'm sure that it's possible to transcode from these FLAC files to a lossy format (say LAME MP3 or OGG vorbis) for use on my portable DAP and I was wondering what is the best/easiest way of doing this and is there a way of doing it automatically to all the music in your library?

If it makes any difference all my music is stored as follows:
Artist\Album\track_number - track_title.FLAC

Thanks to any ideas anyone has.

Jan 25, 2006 at 12:35 AM Post #2 of 6
Personally I've found Foobar to be the easier way for going between formats. It supports transcoding from almost any, to almost any other format you would ever reasonably listen to.

Basically you just load all the tracks you want into the playlist, highlight them, and then convert to desired format. It even handles the tag information for you.

Jan 25, 2006 at 12:35 AM Post #3 of 6
Look into foobar2000's diskwriter plugin. Also recommend AoTuv's ogg encoder, very fast and high quality.
-Mag

Jan 25, 2006 at 12:38 AM Post #4 of 6
I love dbPowerAmp for transcodes. I don't like it as a player, but it can't be topped for batched transcodes - can create a whole parallel directory tree in a different format with a few mouse clicks. Very good gui for doing all this stuff.

Jan 26, 2006 at 2:44 AM Post #6 of 6
Or you could use MAREO.exe + EAC. Set it up as per the instructions in the link and you can encode to multiple formats in one go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back