Aussie & NZ Head-Fiers Corner
Dec 14, 2011 at 6:38 AM Post #181 of 1,320
 Care to say how much Nick ~ that's outside the norm though ~ doubt John would turn down any service charge for a PS1000 at least.

Still his rules do state ~ 'I John reserve the right to say no' ~ does not mean he exercises the right all the time but it's there nonetheless.

Let's also not forget - you paid for the service cost, perhaps a local New Yorker may have gotten that for free.

imo, bottom line is, if you can raise a cr@p storm on public forums, and the headphones are > $500 rrp, he will service it . especially if he makes you pay the shipping and service charges. warranty, maybe not. if he refuses warranty despite purchase date being in the 12 m or something period you may as well call him out publicly for being an @$@ and the distributor/dealer bs. (that's no excuse if your hp are a steaming pile of overpriced cr@p, full of say failing driver or cable issues)
still, the cheapest price is your best net price + estimate of probable warranty claim incl shipping and service charges if any. it can still work out cheaper because aus stores sometimes have a > 30-40% markup... and sure, you may end up shooting yourself in the foot with best fault or warranty/shipping claim estimate, but you may not, that's how it all works :D

Dec 14, 2011 at 7:11 AM Post #182 of 1,320

Quote:
imo, bottom line is, if you can raise a cr@p storm on public forums, and the headphones are > $500 rrp, he will service it . especially if he makes you pay the shipping and service charges. warranty, maybe not. if he refuses warranty despite purchase date being in the 12 m or something period you may as well call him out publicly for being an @$@ and the distributor/dealer bs. (that's no excuse if your hp are a steaming pile of overpriced cr@p, full of say failing driver or cable issues)
still, the cheapest price is your best net price + estimate of probable warranty claim incl shipping and service charges if any. it can still work out cheaper because aus stores sometimes have a > 30-40% markup... and sure, you may end up shooting yourself in the foot with best fault or warranty/shipping claim estimate, but you may not, that's how it all works
biggrin.gif

Grado is a unicorn case in the world of headphones

1) John does not care for forums, or any forum advertising ~ he also does not do trade shows, other people promote
    his products like 'Todd the Vinyl Junkie' at Can-Jam, Colorado for the new PS500. Unbelievable yet true.

2) There's particular thread called 'The Good, the bad and the ugly customer service' - guy in there, from the US
     sent his PS1000 back not once, but twice, each time at his cost for blown drivers. He fully documented this on
    Head-Fi in a rationally composed yet scathing manner ~ response from John? Nothing, probably because he's
    never posted on here or anywhere else for matter :)

3) There is only one place you can buy Grado officially in Australia ~ Audiophile in Melbourne so that makes it
     a singular case for Grado down here, I can offer this advice for those able to walk into the store ~ the actual
     price depends on many things when you walk into the store. Again, the guy who runs the store does not 
     operate in what people would call ~ a conventional corporate manner with attention to PR and perfect
     customer service.

It's all a bit of a gamble at the end of the day ~ guess I'm just biased because I still enjoy counter sales and
 chewing the audio fat down at an audio store ~ random deliveries at my door ain't my bag 
biggrin.gif

As my previous point hinted at ~ in the long term ~ a great rapport with many dealers results in many
good surprising things that will never happen to an internet shopper.

Dec 14, 2011 at 7:59 AM Post #183 of 1,320
 Grado is a unicorn case in the world of headphones

1) John does not care for forums, or any forum advertising ~ he also does not do trade shows, other people promote
    his products like 'Todd the Vinyl Junkie' at Can-Jam, Colorado for the new PS500. Unbelievable yet true.

2) There's particular thread called 'The Good, the bad and the ugly customer service' - guy in there, from the US
     sent his PS1000 back not once, but twice, each time at his cost for blown drivers. He fully documented this on
    Head-Fi in a rationally composed yet scathing manner ~ response from John? Nothing, probably because he's
    never posted on here or anywhere else for matter :)

3) There is only one place you can buy Grado officially in Australia ~ Audiophile in Melbourne so that makes it
     a singular case for Grado down here, I can offer this advice for those able to walk into the store ~ the actual
     price depends on many things when you walk into the store. Again, the guy who runs the store does not 
     operate in what people would call ~ a conventional corporate manner with attention to PR and perfect
     customer service.

It's all a bit of a gamble at the end of the day ~ guess I'm just biased because I still enjoy counter sales and
 chewing the audio fat down at an audio store ~ random deliveries at my door ain't my bag :D

As my previous point hinted at ~ in the long term ~ a great rapport with many dealers results in many
good surprising things that will never happen to an internet shopper.

well, then there are customers that won't put up with that s!!! :) and will not go anywhere near grados.(including me... build quality and warranty related things and suss sound for anything grado I've heard)

Dec 16, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #185 of 1,320

Just thought some of you would to see some pics of a Woo Audio 6 un-boxing
~ now on demo in the audition room at Addicted To Audio.

Sweet sounding amp, straight out of the box, dynamically it's quite good indeed for $731AUD.

Dec 17, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #187 of 1,320

Quote:
You've got me interested now.  How does it sound?

Very dynamic for a tube amp ~ absolutely crushed that Trafomatic tube amp that was here a little while ago
 ~ plenty of punch and Prat on the Beyerdynamic DT990's ~ I'd say it's a better match for the DT990's with the
 Woo 6 on high impedance gain than it is with my V200 on low gain.

Does not run too hot either, it does have that typical tube sound ~ the stock tubes don't sound too bad,
 I'd imagine tube rolling would be quite fun in the future ~ perhaps just a bit more top end clarity but again
 the unit only had 3 hrs on it today and for the money I thought it's going to give Head-Fiers looking for a  
 Burson 160 a real tube alternative.

Should prove popular.

Dec 17, 2011 at 5:39 AM Post #188 of 1,320
Great news. I placed an order for WA2. I've been looking forward to it. No idea what to expect. You can only learn so much from reading about sound and to be honest, a lot of colourful descriptors for sound might as well be nonsense to me.

I'll be using a pair of Alessandro MS Pro on them. Is low impedance an issue? Maybe. Not convinced I could tell. I have some high impedance on hand if it is absolutely stinks (I'm really digging my MS pros at the moment.

Dec 17, 2011 at 5:56 AM Post #189 of 1,320
Is it just me but is this site primarily made up of americans, australians, and canadians?

Dec 17, 2011 at 6:04 AM Post #191 of 1,320
Can i wish i was australian? I really would rather live there then this barren frozen wasteland called canada.

Dec 17, 2011 at 6:09 AM Post #192 of 1,320

Quote:
Can i wish i was australian? I really would rather live there then this barren frozen wasteland called canada.

Balmy as at the moment in Melbourne ~ if you fancy a 32 celsius degree Christmas day then sure why not!

Dec 17, 2011 at 6:10 AM Post #193 of 1,320

Quote:
Balmy as at the moment in Melbourne ~ if you fancy a 32 celsius degree Christmas day then sure why not!

Thats 31C higher then it is here so ya i would prefer that. Prefer somewhere like gold coast.

Dec 17, 2011 at 6:13 AM Post #194 of 1,320

Quote:
Great news. I placed an order for WA2. I've been looking forward to it. No idea what to expect. You can only learn so much from reading about sound and to be honest, a lot of colourful descriptors for sound might as well be nonsense to me.

I'll be using a pair of Alessandro MS Pro on them. Is low impedance an issue? Maybe. Not convinced I could tell. I have some high impedance on hand if it is absolutely stinks (I'm really digging my MS pros at the moment.

WA2 is listed on their website as being good for 25-600ohm impedance ~ no low and high gain switch though like on the WA6.

Should be good though, Woo are Grado re-sellers.

Dec 17, 2011 at 6:16 AM Post #195 of 1,320

Quote:
Is it just me but is this site primarily made up of americans, australians, and canadians?

Quite a few from the UK, Europe, and Asia, and the odd NZer as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back