Aurisonics Impressions and Reviews
Feb 16, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #392 of 2,761

Quote:
Purchased mine today and should be here early next week. Matt from springtree was great and that was the fastest order I've ever placed. Very curious to see how I'll like these as I've typically favored balanced armatures more than dynamic. Though these sounds like they are quick and have some BA properties to them. Will be posting impressions of them as well as hopefully comparisons to my friends earsonics SM3's which I also like a lot. 

I forgot to mention in all of my ravings about the ASG-1 that it handles quick passages in music wonderfully!!! It's BA-like from that standpoint...

Feb 16, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #393 of 2,761
I called Matt today and chatted phones a bit and proceeded to put in my order. Hearing that these are encroaching upon customs territory for custom owners is pretty wild. Especially at the price point of $190 shipped. Could this possibly be the best deal in audiodom going on at the moment? Time wil tell I suppose. I'm going to be comparing them to my much loved SM3s, and a part of me really wants them to utterly destroy the SM3s, but then I'll end up suffering from cognitive disonance since... Well, the ASG-1s would end up shattering the performance/value proposition of every phone I've come across. Exciting times indeed

Feb 16, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #394 of 2,761
It could be one of the best deals available at the moment, even just using the standard $299 MSRP. That said, I pretty much guarantee that if these get FOTM status there will be some people who end up disappointed with them. It's inevitable due to the fit, and the differences in sound that accompany it. That's why I'm being fairly cautious in describing the sound, and that's why I plan on sending my pair around as a demo. 

Aurisonics has some unique and downright cool stuff that they do in order to get the cost so low. I'll cover that when I do my full review. 

Feb 16, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #395 of 2,761
Alright.  I got a little desperate and while my UE tips and custom tips are still in progress, or maybe I was experiencing being a little left out in some degree.  So, a trip to the local RadioShack for a complete set of overpriced silicon tip set yielded much better results.  The cautionary thing about the ASG-1 like project86 mentioned is that the base sound may not be universally liked, and like my initial impressions, it can be easily tossed aside with negative sentiments without giving it a proper chance. 

Most of my universal IEM experience mainly pertains around the stock tips or enhanced tips i.e Monster Super tips.  I've never been one to "tip role", but like tube rolling, I've experienced that you can get dramatic differences between brands and types by swapping them out.  Case in point with these generic tips, the depth the sound tube is about 1/4 inch more than the stock ASG-1 tips.  I'm sure this character is responsible for the massive sound stage I'm hearing.  I plan to listen more this evening for a better assessment, but when I saw SM3, I'm taken by the fact when I owned that IEM, the trademark thick mids and strong bass is what I'm hearing with these tips. 

It's yet to be 100% determined, but the direction of assessment that I'm heading is that the ASG-1 incorporates character from many of the top tier IEMs.  Listening to the ASG-1 in its current state with about 60 hours burn in and these generic tips, if I had to describe the sound using past top tier IEMs, the SM3 for its thick mids, the FX700 for the micro details and sound stage.  I'm sure "tip rolling" will yield different results.  I'm hoping the end state will yield my flat sound preference like the MTPC with nice high extensions and a little low end kick without resorting to EQ.  However, as of late, I no longer shunned EQ with my DAPs.  I can see how a little tweaking can meet one's listening desires. Exiting times indeed.

Feb 16, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #396 of 2,761
That's definitely heartening to hear, as the SM3 is far and away my favorite universal. Would you say that the soundstage is presented in a similarly three dimensional fashion as the SM3? As the SM3's presentation is one aspect that I wouldn't want to lose moving forward. To borrow a description once coined by Bennyboy, it feels like sticking your head in a music bubble and I love that.

Feb 16, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #397 of 2,761
It would definitely be wise for anyone thinking about buying to read the WHOLE thread and to see the issues people had with fit early on, especially given the lack of return policy. Green light to anyone with big ears though :)

Quote:
It could be one of the best deals available at the moment, even just using the standard $299 MSRP. That said, I pretty much guarantee that if these get FOTM status there will be some people who end up disappointed with them. It's inevitable due to the fit, and the differences in sound that accompany it. That's why I'm being fairly cautious in describing the sound, and that's why I plan on sending my pair around as a demo. 

Aurisonics has some unique and downright cool stuff that they do in order to get the cost so low. I'll cover that when I do my full review. 

Feb 16, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #402 of 2,761
You want 3-dimensional.  With just generic tips, I'm listening to Joe Satriani Rubina live track and with my eyes closed, I get the feeling of being there.  The sound is so airy, the percussion and Joe riffing on his Ibanez sounds so dam real and tight; I can place the position of the drummer near the back and Joe at center stage; the people screaming sounds like they are about 5-10 rows back and to the right of me at the end of the track.  It's sound brilliant.  I can't wait for the custom tips.

Feb 16, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #405 of 2,761
^the latter, but in response to your question, take it with a grain a salt as I don't own the FX700/UM3X anymore that yes, it's on par with bass quantity; for me, the ASG-1 is full of bass quality.  However, my communication with Dale and my question regarding the famous sub-bass that the Atrios are known for, you may have to EQ below the 60hz low to each this, but was told it will be tight and punchy, which I have yet to test. 

After listening to some Alice DeeJay tracks, yes bass quantity and quality is there and like ericp10 already described, it's response is pretty darn fast for a dynamic.  The source being FLAC and my Sansa Clip Zip at normal EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back