Aurisonics Impressions and Reviews
Feb 15, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #346 of 2,761

Quote:
Wish I still had the FX700 to compare, but timbre as I recall is the one area that few universals could touch upon.

Stay tuned.  Haste got the best of me and I decided I couldn't wait any longer for the custom tips and UE tips to be delivered.  I took my first pair of FS custom sleeves that was done, decapitated the tips, and will soon post impressions using the hack custom tips! I hope the sound is Bon Appetit to my ears.

Good thinking!

Feb 15, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #347 of 2,761
Hey Eric, long stretch at this point, but... how do you think these stack up to your 1964Q? Seeing how this is supposed to be a professional custom monitoring IEM solution after all. Although this might not seem to be a fair comparison... I feel the onus is on Aurisonic since they claim that their solution exceeds so called, legacy products that contain multiple armatures and are "game changers" . This would have them competing against offerings from JH Audio, UE etc. If it isn't just a bunch of hot air... it'd be crazy as hell. 

Feb 16, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #348 of 2,761
Well this is probably a bad thing, but since I've received the ASG-1, I haven't even thought about the Sony XBA-4. It's decent and has a crazy wide soundstage and instrument separation, but it just can't compare to the ASG-1. That's my subjective honest opinion. I really haven't thought about any of my other IEMs except for the GR07 (love the drums in those), but even those thoughts are fleeting. That's how enamored I am with the ASG-1.

And yes, I'm about to say it here, these are the first universals I've owned that I think can handily compete with my 1964-Q custom. If the universal is this good, I can only imagine what the custom might sound like. With the ports and bass tuner, it will probably sound like various customs in one. Exciting times for this hobby indeed.

Feb 16, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #349 of 2,761

Quote:
Hey Eric, long stretch at this point, but... how do you think these stack up to your 1964Q? Seeing how this is supposed to be a professional custom monitoring IEM solution after all. Although this might not seem to be a fair comparison... I feel the onus is on Aurisonic since they claim that their solution exceeds so called, legacy products that contain multiple armatures and are "game changers" . This would have them competing against offerings from JH Audio, UE etc. If it isn't just a bunch of hot air... it'd be crazy as hell. 

Hello Idsynchrono...lol because I answered your question before I even saw your post. Look above.... 
beerchug.gif

To my ears, as a universal, these are game changers to me... But I acknowledge this sound signature may not be for everyone. It's perfect for me!! I'm listening to a new Chick Corea album now, "The Continents - Concerto for Jazz Quintet & Chamber Orchestra," and I'm just speechless. The weight on the drums and piano keys. The richness of the strings. Very realistic live sound.

Feb 16, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #351 of 2,761

Hello Idsynchrono...lol because I answered your question before I even saw your post. Look above.... 
beerchug.gif

To my ears, as a universal, these are game changers to me... But I acknowledge this sound signature may not be for everyone. It's perfect for me!! I'm listening to a new Chick Corea album now, "The Continents - Concerto for Jazz Quintet & Chamber Orchestra," and I'm just speechless. The weight on the drums and piano keys. The richness of the strings. Very realistic live sound.

Wow... nice! I've relied upon your impressions in the past to help guide some of my purchases (the DDM and SM3 being two such phones) so to hear you speak so highly of the ASG-1 is good news indeed. I honestly thought they'd easily compete with top tier universals, but had serious doubts as to how they'd stack up to an honest to goodness multi-arm custom, so hearing your thoughts on the matter is quite surprising. I put in a word with Springtree this morning for a quote, and am looking forward to hearing further impressions here, especially if there are any improvements post burn in

Feb 16, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #352 of 2,761

Quote:
Does anyone have a final verdict if the gr07 is comparable to the asg-1 and if its worth the extra premium?

Thanks.

Currently the GR07 and the ASG-1 are about the same price, but I think I'm not going too much more about the ASG-1 until after I order and receive the custom tips... My views are very clear about this IEM right now.

Feb 16, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #353 of 2,761

Quote:
Good thinking!

Not really.  The efforts was in vain.  I wish I had a drummel, but the base diameter of the Atrios is significantly smaller than ASG-1. I was able to get them on after a considerable amount of effort, but they popped off and got lodged in my ear canal, so I had to call upon the trusty tweezers to free them out.  Oh well, that's what I get for getting rid of my spare stock of tips.  I would get my UE tips sooner, but I refuse to pay more on shipping than the actual product.

Feb 16, 2012 at 8:08 AM Post #355 of 2,761

Quote:
Sorry if this has been asked before, but what size comply tips should I get for the asg-1? model number?

Thank you.

Any of the 500 series will fit, but I would recommend the TX with the wax filter since these have such a large bore.  I used the T500 and had to turn them backwards to not kill the treble.  The new TS series looks interesting, and might be a better match since the spherical shape should not interfere as much with the top end.

Feb 16, 2012 at 9:07 AM Post #356 of 2,761

Quote:

Any of the 500 series will fit, but I would recommend the TX with the wax filter since these have such a large bore.  I used the T500 and had to turn them backwards to not kill the treble.  The new TS series looks interesting, and might be a better match since the spherical shape should not interfere as much with the top end.

Indeed. I use the TS-400s with my FXT90s with excellent results, which are even better when reversed. I've been keeping a close eye for sales of TS-500s since pulling the trigger on the ASG-1.

Feb 16, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #359 of 2,761
I've been keeping up with this thread but haven't had much to contribute until now. I had a bit of a "breakthrough" with the ASG-1 yesterday. I had been pretty satisfied with the sound and fit while using a dual flange tip, but I figured it couldn't hurt to try some others. After a few mediocre results, I ended up finding my perfect match. 

Unfortunately I don't know where these tips came from. I keep all spare tips in a collection together and I can't recall when these were added. They look like the medium Sony hybrids with the green inner section, but I know they aren't from a real Sony product. Anyways, these were the missing link I needed to get great sound and great comfort from the ASG-1.

I was listening to Illinoise by Sufjan Stevens (a perfect example of music sounding great despite using very low budget recording equipment) and the ASG-1 sounded up there with some of the better customs I've encountered. This album is full of unique sounds, from wind chimes to wine glasses used as instruments, and some interestingly complex arrangements. The ASG-1 gave it a "live" feeling, had plenty of low end extension, and did the voice just right. The only thing that I didn't care for was a bit of a "ringing" type feel on some of the upper mids, though it wasn't too objectionable. I'm hearing them generally the same as ericp10 is.

I've decided to close up the adjustments on my AS-1b and focus on the similarities/differences between the custom and the universal. I think that is more relevant to the discussion at the moment, rather than trying to "figure out" all the variations of the AS-1b. So far I believe they are pretty close in general sound quality. The main difference I'm hearing is the low frequency reproduction - through bone conduction or possibly just a superior seal, the AS-1b seems more effortless and lifelike when reproducing lows. Not that the volume is much different, but the quality is just better. I also hear a bit more in terms of layering and instrument separation. Basically it is the same sound, just further refined. Without taking the venting and bass adjustment options into consideration, I would say the extra $100 jump in price from ASG-1 to AS-1 is worth it. Especially considering the free impression kit which allows you to avoid audiologist fees. That said, I'm very glad Aurisonics offers the universal version , as there are plenty of benefits to going that route. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back