Aurisonics Impressions and Reviews
Apr 1, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #2,192 of 2,761

Quote:
Hmm the radio like sound is gone, soundstage is a lot wider, SEEMS PROMISING!

LOL, is this burn in or did you get filters?  I have to update my comparisons soon as well, things changed a lot.  The Etymotics midrange is now more forward than the ASG-1s (the Etymotic is also more "shouty" than the ASG-1s).  I have yet to use filters, I don't know what that will do to the sound, if the EQ told me anything, it'll make them closer to the 232 signature. 

Apr 1, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #2,193 of 2,761

Quote:
Can someone do a macro shot of the filters? O_o

Thick black filters. The texture is pretty hard to pick up with your eyes even in good light so I didn't even bother using anything other than my iPhone 4S camera.

y0 posted pictures of his a while back and they were a light color. There's a link to the page on the Aurisonics ASG-1 filtered vs unfiltered thread he started.

Apr 1, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #2,194 of 2,761

Quote:
LOL, is this burn in or did you get filters?  I have to update my comparisons soon as well, things changed a lot.  The Etymotics midrange is now more forward than the ASG-1s (the Etymotic is also more "shouty" than the ASG-1s).  I have yet to use filters, I don't know what that will do to the sound, if the EQ told me anything, it'll make them closer to the 232 signature. 

No filters :D

Apr 1, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #2,196 of 2,761

Quote:
No filters :D

Nice...  I guess we are hearing the same stuff then :) 

Quote:

How many hours do you have on them ? Are you using EQU ?

If he's anywhere near me, I'm nearing around 200 hours burn in, 100+ hours of use.  No EQs, I really never found them needed for this, with the proper seal, they were no more "shouty" than my Etymotic EtyKids, and now both the Etymotic EtyKids and Etymotic HF2s are more "shouty" than my ASG-1. 

Essentially, I think people were creating opinions about the "shoutyness" too early, it dissipates with time (based on what I've been hearing thus for in the last 2 weeks).  The only problem is that I wish the highs would detail slightly better. 

Apr 1, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #2,198 of 2,761

Quote:
So 300 hours will alter the frequency response and that's the minimum I must have for a valid opinion on how I hear them? Please, this is ridiculous.

I'm not saying it's not a valid opinion, I'm just stating that this "shoutyness" goes away entirely over the course of 200 hours.  I just stated that we might have been jumping to conclusions with the "shoutyness" since it goes away.  Patience plays huge rolls in things that burn in a lot.  If you got a new pair of RE0s and told me the treble was too spiked for you, I'd tell you to burn them and and watch it settle down (RE0 treble settles down after around 100-150 hours). If you got a new pair of Dunu Hephaes, and said it sounded like pure crap (which it does mid-way through it's burn in), I'd tell you to keep burning until around that 200 hour mark where things turn around. Same applies here, if you tell me the mids are too shouty for you on the ASGs, I'd tell you to burn them in to the 150-200 hour mark.

The power of burn in, whether it's mechanical, psychological, or a mix of the two is extremely powerful and can cause big changes in anything.  Don't ever underestimate the power of either type of burn in. 

I'm about ready to leave this thread due to posts like this.  It seems that everything I say gets ridiculed and attacked without proper reasoning. You can stay in the world where you ridicule everyone else that doesn't agree with you, but I'll stay elsewhere then.

Apr 1, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #2,199 of 2,761

Quote:
I'm not saying it's not a valid opinion, I'm just stating that this "shoutyness" goes away entirely over the course of 200 hours.  I just stated that we might have been jumping to conclusions with the "shoutyness" since it goes away.  Patience plays huge rolls in things that burn in a lot.  If you got a new pair of RE0s and told me the treble was too spiked for you, I'd tell you to burn them and and watch it settle down (RE0 treble settles down after around 100-150 hours). If you got a new pair of Dunu Hephaes, and said it sounded like pure crap (which it does mid-way through it's burn in), I'd tell you to keep burning until around that 200 hour mark where things turn around. Same applies here, if you tell me the mids are too shouty for you on the ASGs, I'd tell you to burn them in to the 150-200 hour mark.

The power of burn in, whether it's mechanical, psychological, or a mix of the two is extremely powerful and can cause big changes in anything.  Don't ever underestimate the power of either type of burn in. 

I'm about ready to leave this thread due to posts like this.  It seems that everything I say gets ridiculed and attacked without proper reasoning. You can stay in the world where you ridicule everyone else that doesn't agree with you, but I'll stay elsewhere then.

I have over 250 hours on mine after a rigorous 10 day burn in session.

If what you mean to say is that the mids are no longer omnipotent and murderously shouty, sure. However, if you're saying that the mids are suddenly in balance with the rest of the music (unfiltered), then I have to strongly disagree with you. Burn in will not magically change a driver's tuning. Just like the lower treble spike on the GR07 will never completely disappear, the mids of the ASG-1 will ALWAYS be upfront, leading to shoutiness on a particularly mid-forward song.

Apr 1, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #2,201 of 2,761

Quote:

If what you mean to say is that the mids are no longer omnipotent and murderously shouty, sure. However, if you're saying that the mids are suddenly in balance with the rest of the music (unfiltered), then I have to strongly disagree with you. Burn in will not magically change a driver's tuning. Just like the lower treble spike on the GR07 will never completely disappear, the mids of the ASG-1 will ALWAYS be upfront, leading to shoutiness on a particularly mid-forward song.

They are definitely not in balance.  Both the sub-bass and highs are recessed in comparison to the mids (especially the highs).  However, in comparison to the Etymotic HF2 and Eytmotic EtyKids, the mids on these are more in balance since both Etymotics provide midrange that is more forward (and louder) in comparison to the rest of the spectrum.  I will re-compare to the Westones tonight as well.  They are not in balance in any way, but the shoutyness is gone (unless you call the Etymotics shouty as well; then we've got another problem on our hands). 

As for burn in not magically changing a driver's tuning, I have to strongly disagree.  Every driver will change to a different degree with burn in.  I have honestly heard 2-3 IEMs (these being one of them) that have changed a lot with burn in (the Dunu Hephaes being the biggest changer; these are getting closer to it though).  The FR curve shows small change, but the overall change becomes well apparent and large. 

250 hours in 10 days is pretty radical...  10*24 = 240...  Speeding up time I see :p (I don't mean this literally, I know what you meant :p)

Apr 1, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #2,202 of 2,761

:beerchug:

Except with the filters I have. Absolutely gone, none whatsoever, not even close. But there are trade offs =(
Aren't there always.

Apr 1, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #2,203 of 2,761

Quote:
They are definitely not in balance.  Both the sub-bass and highs are recessed in comparison to the mids (especially the highs).  However, in comparison to the Etymotic HF2 and Eytmotic EtyKids, the mids on these are more in balance since both Etymotics provide midrange that is more forward (and louder) in comparison to the rest of the spectrum.  I will re-compare to the Westones tonight as well.  They are not in balance in any way, but the shoutyness is gone (unless you call the Etymotics shouty as well; then we've got another problem on our hands). 

I've never heard an etymotic described as having shouty mids, but I haven't actually listened to one, so I won't speculate. However, if it is indeed the case that the Ety's are so skewed towards the mids, then couldn't one argue that the fact that you hear the ASG-1 as less mid-centered doesn't necessarily mean that another individual who has not been so conditioned will hear the ASG-1 the way you do. When I first got the ASG-1, it made the Shure SE530's mids sound positively recessed. 

I think our definitions maybe have been lost in the fray 
beerchug.gif

PS. Don't judge my math 
redface.gif

Quote:
beerchug.gif

Except with the filters I have. Absolutely gone, none whatsoever, not even close. But there are trade offs =(
Aren't there always.

I can't wait until I have them in hand, then I'll be able to finish up my review.

Apr 1, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #2,204 of 2,761

Quote:

I can't wait until I have them in hand, then I'll be able to finish up my review.

I wonder if you'll get there same ones...

Apr 1, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #2,205 of 2,761

Quote:

I've never heard an etymotic described as having shouty mids, but I haven't actually listened to one, so I won't speculate. However, if it is indeed the case that the Ety's are so skewed towards the mids, then couldn't one argue that the fact that you hear the ASG-1 as less mid-centered doesn't necessarily mean that another individual who has not been so conditioned will hear the ASG-1 the way you do. When I first got the ASG-1, it made the Shure SE530's mids sound positively recessed. 

I think our definitions maybe have been lost in the fray 
beerchug.gif

PS. Don't judge my math 
redface.gif

Regarding Etymotics having shoutyness.  Shoutyness has never been formally defined.  So I am going off how someone described it in the tips thread.  The Etymotics do have this property (as described by one of the members), but it was never regarded as a negative.  I heard it as well, but I called it mid-range energy.  Either way, shouty or not, we hear it as we hear it.  Our comparison headphones are definitely going to make things sound differently. 

As for definitions, they got lost a while ago :p  LOL.  I can't wait to read your review though :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back