AURALiC owners unite!
Mar 18, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #1,922 of 2,398
You can try the iCan Pro which has a tube amplifier inside and also a SS in case you change your mind.

Mar 18, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #1,923 of 2,398
The tube section of the ican pro is really very subtle. I would recommend looking at a liquid carbon if you want to stay solid state but get a warmer, lusher sound. For tubes there is no shortage of options. Anything for Eddie current or cavalli is good. If you want to start small, an ember or a little dot.

Mar 18, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #1,925 of 2,398
Buy a tube amp

:)

Yes but which one is matching good? Maybe only woo wa8 as there is a dac inside...

I try to avoid DAC amp combos. Much less control over the sound with a combo. If you can get to a meet or a can jam or a local deal, you can experiment. Or if a friend has a tube amp.

Mar 18, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #1,926 of 2,398
I love / hate auralics. Cold if powered on they sound not good but after 1 hour of listening they begin to sing...

Mar 29, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #1,928 of 2,398
What upgrade routes are there after Taurus Mk2?
I'm mainly thinking solid state, as there is a DNA Stratus in the making :)

I guess it depends on what kind of flavor of sound you want.

Mar 29, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #1,929 of 2,398
What upgrade routes are there after Taurus Mk2?
I'm mainly thinking solid state, as there is a DNA Stratus in the making :)

Schiit Rag.
Headroom GS-X MkII
Moon Neo 430HA
Violectric V281
McIntosh MHA150
Pass Labs HPA-1

There are probably more.

Mar 30, 2017 at 7:55 AM Post #1,931 of 2,398
How about the ifi iCAN Pro then you can choose between Valve and SS depending on your mood...........

I suspect I'll go for the DNA Stratus if I want a tube sound, or - given I don't sell any of those off - to a lesser extent to the Icon Audio HP8 Mk2 Signature edition or the Feliks Audio Elise which I already own...

I know ifi is loved for their extraordinary bang for the buck... but are you saying now that the iCAN pro betters the Taurus in pure SS mode? How does it stack up to competent tube amps in tube mode?

Schiit Rag.
Headroom GS-X MkII
Moon Neo 430HA
Violectric V281
McIntosh MHA150
Pass Labs HPA-1

There are probably more.

Where do you think the Moon and the Violectric better the Taurus?
I'm undecided whether I find the V281 not rather a sidegrade than an upgrade, so I'm interested in your take on it.
If sidegrade, as I'll loose money letting my Taurus go, it will probably be an expensive route for some small improvements or a mere change in tonal character.

Mar 30, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #1,932 of 2,398
The Pro iCan as a SS amp is good, possibly as good as the Taurus, but not better. The tube stage is very subtle. As a tube amp it doesn't compare to high end tube amps.

That said, if you turn the volume down, the sound stops. Something the Taurus has yet to master.

Mar 30, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #1,933 of 2,398
That said, if you turn the volume down, the sound stops. Something the Taurus has yet to master.

True, always found that strange... however not a dealbreaker to me. Way easier to mute the Vega using the remote. Especially since I have 2 or 3 amps playing at the same time, it's a 1-press mute without loosing the volume settings. (Vega balanced out to Taurus; Vega SE out to Icon Audio HP8 Mk2, then the Feliks Audio Elise connected to the loop through of the Icon)

Besides, I find myself rather pausing my music than muting my system - otherwise I feel like missing out on stuff :p

So this is not even very inconvenient for me. It's SQ that I'm after.

Mar 31, 2017 at 1:48 AM Post #1,934 of 2,398
So overall, how does the Auralic Taurus MK.II, and the Schiit Ragnarok compare head to head when driving various headphones such as the:
HD650, HD800/800S, Hifiman HE-6, HE1000 mk2, etc?
They both can be had for nearly the same price.

Apr 1, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #1,935 of 2,398
  Own Vega and Taurus. Want to replace Taurus with a more musical and analogue, tube sound. 

Any good replacements out there?

OK, I gave a cheeky response to this before, but now I find that I'm in the same boat. One friend recommended getting a Schiit Saga and decent tube. Anyone try this? Or anyone using any other tube preamp or buffer? I tried the iFi tube buffer, and it was way too subtle, and you cannot roll the tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back