AURALiC owners unite!
Feb 9, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #301 of 2,396

Very well written review, IMO how all reviews should be done.  Any comparisons with the Schiit Mjolnir or GSXmk2?

I asked in relation to the GS-X comparison over at the review, thought it should be rewarded with some discussion in the comments there!

Owning a bunch of Justin's products in the past and updated with new modules GS-1 currently, I feel that voicing or transparency of them is very close, with Taurus having the edge overall.
Unfortunately I haven't heard GS-X, schematic wise it should be double GS-1 with better power supply, but if Taurus anything near GS-X that would be a deal of the century, esp. considering immediate availability vs. long waiting queue for GS-X and the fact that many dealers sell it quite below MSRP.
And if you have Vega, nothing matches its faceplate better. 
smile.gif

John, outstanding review, easy to tell that reviewer just loves the product. I assume that Editor's Note at the end is from Tyll. 

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #302 of 2,396
Yep, Editor's note is Tyll. He loves the Taurus as well. 

I imagine it's possible for GS-X mk2 to surpass the Taurus by at least some small amount, in some areas. Same probably goes for a pair of Questyle CMA800R in monoblock mode. The strength of the Taurus imho is that it does so well, in so many aspects, while still being relatively affordable compared to other flagships. I like it better than the RSA DarkStar and the Cavalli Liquid Fire, to name just a few more expensive models. 

Feb 9, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #303 of 2,396
Has anyone compared this to the audio gd master 9 yet? Interested in both of these at the moment

Feb 9, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #304 of 2,396
Has anyone compared this to the audio gd master 9 yet? Interested in both of these at the moment

Just buy the Master 9 Billy, then we can compare to my Taurus :)

Feb 14, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #306 of 2,396
  How does the Taurus compare to a single Questyle CMA800R?

Nevermind, I see the comparison in the review that project86 did.

For those who read this and are curious: I prefer CMA800R with HD800, HD650, HE-400, and beyerdynamic T1. I like the Taurus mkII more with Audeze, HE-500, and especially HE-6. So they each have their place. 

Feb 15, 2014 at 5:32 AM Post #307 of 2,396
Thanks for responding =)  Just to clarify, we're talking very small differences between the two amps when paired with all headphones aside from HE-6?  I'm particularly curious about the LCD-2 since it is my favorite headphone at the moment.  

Feb 15, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #309 of 2,396
  Thanks for responding =)  Just to clarify, we're talking very small differences between the two amps when paired with all headphones aside from HE-6?  I'm particularly curious about the LCD-2 since it is my favorite headphone at the moment.  

The differences are more in character than quality - both do things their own way, both are enjoyable, and both end up roughly on the same level but for different reasons. For LCD-2 I'd probably give the edge to Taurus, though CMA800R is not far behind. 

Very happy with my taurus mk1, nice pairing with hd800 and d7000; not so much with grados:mad:

For me, the Taurus brings out the real flavor of Grados. Problem is, I don't particularly enjoy that flavor.... which is why I normally prefer them with a more colored amp. I do enjoy the PS500 on the Taurus though. 

Feb 26, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #312 of 2,396
I was debating between the Master 9 and the Taurus MKII for a while; finally decided to pull the trigger on the Taurus.  Given that I was unable to demo either amp, I based my decision solely on the feedback that I was able to gather online, especially here.  Given that both seems to have plenty of power and perform well, I chose the Taurus over the Master 9 mainly due to:

1) Size (Master is a beast for a head amp, it will take up too much space on my bed side rack)
2) Look (Taurus, arguably, is the better looking amp between the two)

I ordered the Taurus MKII directly from Auralic and received it a couple of weeks ago. First, Mr. Wang is very attentive to my questions, which made the ordering process a breeze.  Second, I am impressed with the built quality of the Taurus; nice industrial design, with rugged, high quality feel to it.  Third, I am impressed with its performance!  It has taken my LCD-X to a whole new level.  I thought that my Graham Slee Solo SRG II was doing a decent job driving the X, but after direct comparison against the Taurus, there is really no contest.  The bass went deeper and tighter, the treble is crystal clear and the mids are where they should be.

I am very happy with the purchase and might get the Vega DAC later to go with the Taurus (waiting for the Aries before placing my order).

Feb 26, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #314 of 2,396
  Wow you can do that? I thought you had to go through a dealer.

There are no Auralic distributors/retailers in my country, therefore, contacted Auralic directly and was able to place my order through them.  The down side is that I had to pay MSRP, but the upside is I did receive free international shipping.

Feb 26, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #315 of 2,396

There are no Auralic distributors/retailers in my country, therefore, contacted Auralic directly and was able to place my order through them.  The down side is that I had to pay MSRP, but the upside is I did receive free international shipping.

Ah that was going to be my next question hehe. Well, I'm definitely interested in this beast, so I am off to try and find somewhere near me that might have it in stock for me to listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back