AURALiC ARK MX+ , a high-end USB DAC for an affordable price
Sep 22, 2011 at 12:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

yanfeng

100+ Head-Fier
It's long been a strong conviction, especially in HIFI industry, that you get what you pay for. Yet once in a billion years, somebody breaks the rule.

When I was offered a chance to try a USB DAC made by a Chinese audio company that's little known to the world as well as in its own country, I was hesitant. I was in a passionate love affair with the well famed Weiss DAC202 at the time. I believed that should be my last DAC for a long time to come. DAC202 fulfilled all my dreams for a perfect source: high fidelity, musicality, and ease of use. I saw no reason why I should need another DAC. If there existed one, that should be well beyond the $6670 retail price of DAC202, which I can barely afford. And AURALiC ARK MX+, the DAC I am offered, is $1500 for an introductory price. Well I am no audio expert doing reviews for HIFI periodicals or BBS. I am a professor of Chinese literature who happens to have some interest in music and headphones. The only reason for me to try an audio equipment is to determine whether I should buy it. And I did not think I would replace a $6670 DAC for a $1500 one.

I had never met Mr Wang Yuan, the man behind ARK MX+ , except that we both attend Headphone Club, a headphone discussion board well-known for Chinese headphone fans. About half a year ago I bought from another audiophile a second hand headphone amplifier, named Bugatti, that was made by Mr Wang Yuan. The quality of the amp fully convinced me, and I made some very positive comments in Headphone Club. And that's the beginning of the whole story. With previous nice impression of an Auralic product, I finally build up enough interest to try the new DAC. To make a long story short, I listened to ARK MX+, and I sold my Weiss DAC202.

Sep 23, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #2 of 21
DAC......what a lovely jargon! How mysterious it sounds to one who is just about to step into the land of HIFI, the world of over spending, and the sea of finacial abyss. I still remember the time when I first heard HD650 through the built-in amp of Benchmark DAC1 in a audio store in Nanjing. The cleanness of the sound, the transparency, and the deep impact all converged into one sensation for me: that's something "PRO". My entry level Sanling CD player sounds like a toy compared with DAC1, and I bought the latter with no hesitation.

The year is 2005. That's also the year when I bumped into head-fi, the beginning of endless turmoils. I went through a bunch of headphones and amplifiers, but I remained loyal to DAC1 for about 4 years. I thought that would be my last DAC. I could not possibly think about another DAC that can sound obviously better than DAC1. I can imagine one that's slightly better than DAC1, but at a much more expensive price. "That won't worth it", I would think, until I came across Ayre QB9.

Ayre QB9! That's a milestone in computer audiophile, and also a milestone in my own humble quest for better sound. As the saying goes: "comparisons are odious". The moment I heard QB9, I knew I had been wrong to think that DAC1 cound not be vastly surpassed. QB9 has such a lush sound while holding more information than DAC1. Well, at 3 times the price of DAC1, it should be . And it's definitely more musical. When you  are beginning to feel musical from a DAC, there is no going back.

And the pattern went again. I thought QB9 is the LAST DAC for me.  Laugh at me if you will, but I suspect that's kind of human instinct to keep thinking in that way. And then there was a very kind young man who offered to send a Weiss DAC202 for me to try. Man I was blown away......again!

If I have some minor complaint about QB9, it's because I think it is a little bit "muddy" compared with DAC1. With Weiss DAC202, the sense of "muddiness" is completely gone. DAC202 is transparent, full of detail, and very musical. I even think about it as an advance version of DAC1, with the musicality of QB9.

I have gone quite some way from DAC1 to DAC202, which seemed to have fulfill all my dreams about a DAC. And the pattern went again. Whenever you think there is the end, the road goes further. And here comes AURALiC ARK MX+.

Can a $1500 DAC really fight a $6670 DAC? In what way? In what aspect? To what extent? I will share my impression while enjoying my new "last DAC".

Sep 24, 2011 at 8:33 AM Post #3 of 21
Now some technical informations. According to AURALiC site ( http://www.auralic.com/en/ ), ARK MX+ is a 32 bit/192KHz USB D/A converter. It boasts of an ActiveUSB technology, which claims to [size=x-small]overcome the transmission limitation from Asynchronous USB which can only adjust +/- one clock cycle error of data package in isochronous clock. [size=x-small]With mass data buffer technology and multi-stage, high resolution PLL circuit, ARK MX+ could buffer audio stream as long as 2 seconds, which could prevent time-based jitter resulted from the limitation of computer. [/size][/size]

[size=x-small][size=x-small]I'm no tech expert, so I can only understand ARK MX+ uses the Asynchronous USB technology that's becoming popular nowadays, and it claims to have improved on that.[/size][/size]

[size=x-small][size=x-small]So the main input of ARK MX+ is a [size=x-small]USB 2.0 Input (44.1KHz-192KHz, up to 32Bit). Unlike some USB DAC, it also has a [size=x-small]S/PDIF Digital Input (44.1KHz-192KHz up to 24Bit), which can be convenient for other digital sources.[/size][/size]

ARK MX+ has one balanced analog output, as well as a single-ended analog output. It even has an AES/EBU Digital Output, so it can also be used as a USB digital source. Well, in case you have a DAC that's better than ARK MX+......[/size][/size]

[size=x-small][size=x-small]For 32Bit/192KHZ audio to work, an exclusive USB driver must be intalled.  After installation, an ARK MX+ USB Control Panel. There are some settings that are adjustable, but I just leave it at their default. [/size][/size]

[size=x-small][size=x-small]For better audio quality when playing through Foobar2000 or other computer audio players, [size=x-small]AURALiC Sanctuary USB ASIO[/size] should be selected.[/size][/size]

[size=x-small][size=x-small]The back of the ARK MX+ :[/size][/size]

[size=x-small][size=x-small][/size][/size]

Sep 25, 2011 at 9:28 AM Post #4 of 21
Any opinions? I'm eagerly looking for feedbacks from other users, but I know at this very moment the chance is very slim. I don't know whether there is a Head-fier who has ever heard this DAC. I whole-heartedly wish there will be some who have the chance to try it. Chinese made HIFI equipments are seeing leaps these years, and they are stepping into high-end area previously unattained by them. AURALic ARK MX+ completely changed my previous idea about [size=x-small]C/P Ratio.  I truely wish you guys could share my excitement. I believe there will be.[/size]

[size=x-small]A pic of the interior.[/size]

Sep 25, 2011 at 9:40 AM Post #5 of 21
Love the look, clean and classy. Looks interesting, will be interested to read some impressions on this :)

Nov 5, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #7 of 21
The DAC chip is a AKM AK4399 (32-bit/192kHz).

Srajan seems to like it, but I think he likes the April Music Eximus DP1 more:
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/auralic/1.html

Nice to see the Chinese and Koreans (April Music) coming out with some interesting options.  I doubt I'll be swapping my Alpha DAC anytime soon, but I'll be keeping an eye out for both the AURALiC and April Music.

Nov 6, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #10 of 21
Reviews on Chinese site said that Ark MX+ is much better than Ark MX Mod
Both are extremely detailed and have extreme resolutions with massive sound stage. But Mod have a cold, hard and lifeless sound, while + doesnt

Dec 9, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #12 of 21
This DAC has gotten some really good reviews,but it doesn't strike me as "affordable" though...
NVM,there is a HUGE price discrepancy between the price on the english official site of Auralic and how much it's sold in China...meh

Dec 10, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #13 of 21
Its not, theres 3 versions. Ark MX, Ark MX Mod, Ark MX+. Ark MX+ in China is around 10k Yuan I think

Dec 10, 2011 at 2:24 AM Post #14 of 21

Quote:
Its not, theres 3 versions. Ark MX, Ark MX Mod, Ark MX+. Ark MX+ in China is around 10k Yuan I think

You are right...The MX+ is not even officially sold in China. Weird thing is the MX version is not available on the English version of the Auralic website either...

Dec 10, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #15 of 21

Quote:
You are right...The MX+ is not even officially sold in China. Weird thing is the MX version is not available on the English version of the Auralic website either...

Different target markets! That aside, I just checked the prices again, and $2000 for MX+ is actually really expensive compared to the prices you can get in China I think...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back