Aune T11 upgrade or should i bother?
Jun 12, 2013 at 7:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Blaalad12

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,I recently bought the he500s and they are being driven by the Aune t1 which seems like a pretty decent little combo,Iam considering buying a better amp/dac combo but would it be worth the investment? Ami going to get an improvement in sound quality? or should i just stick with the Aune t1?? Iam not prepared to buy another amp/dac if its not going to improve the sound even further basically!!

Any thoughts/suggestions?? 

Thanks 

Jun 14, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #6 of 11
I guess that'll depend on what your budget for the new dac/amp is going to be. You can always get a new amp and just use the T1 as a dac. I like the T1 as a dac so I just upgraded the amp.

Jun 14, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #7 of 11
Is upgrading the amp going to be a worthy investment though? I mean technically i have an amp which seems to drive them fine so if i was to spend lets say 400-500 quid on an amp like the lyr then what will i actually be gaining? will i be getting improved sound quality? 

Jun 15, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #9 of 11
If you're happy with what you have, I would say leave it alone. if you find it lacking, see what you can do to fix it. I don't have the he 500 nor do I have the lyr so I can't help on either. I think as a dac, the t1 does fine at it's price range.

Jun 15, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #10 of 11
The sound is good but they dont sound like 700 quid headphones to my ears, i feel they have more potential but iam not so sure if spending 500 quid on the lyr (seems to be recommended alot) will be worth the improvement, iam assuming the improvement will be minor 

Jun 22, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #11 of 11
The sound is good but they dont sound like 700 quid headphones to my ears, i feel they have more potential but iam not so sure if spending 500 quid on the lyr (seems to be recommended alot) will be worth the improvement, iam assuming the improvement will be minor 

Picking up on your 'recently bought' from the first post, you must give the HE-500s time to burn in / break in before dismissing them. I found with mine, also recently bought, that they sounded fantastic straight out of the box. For about an hour. They then sounded thin and lacking in punch. I put them on a break in regime of a burn in CD on repeat, driving the phones for about a day at low volume, so it didn't annoy. Put them on next day. Back to fantastic sound again. They do vary a little at times, mids seem a little veiled, but after awhile back comes the great sound. And the variance is getting less and less.

I have my HE-500s paired with a Schiit Lyr which is a great match as mentioned by lots of people here. I came to this pairing independently, before I had even heard of Head-Fi, by home trialling various amps and phones. They did it for me, so I bought 'em.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back