Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Dec 1, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #8,011 of 8,309
Hello, I have been using my T1se for a few weeks now and is planning to upgrade the tube. I am in the UK so ebay is probably my only source to buy new tubes. I am currently looking at the following. Which would be the best?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ECC88-CV5358-BRIMAR-NOS-BOXED-VALVE-TUBE-/310087990709?hash=item4832af3db5:g:pcoAAOSwDNdV5rdt
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6922-E88CC-ECC88-6DJ8-PHILIPS-ECG-VALVE-TUBE-/260662166606?hash=item3cb0ad044e:g:w3EAAOSwwpdW1vfV
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ECC88-6DJ8-SIEMENS-Ei-NOS-BOXED-VALVE-TUBE-/310930099354?hash=item4864e0cc9a:g:YfYAAOxylpNTS7iD

or does it worth paying a bit more for a used Amperex Bugle Boy?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Amperex-Bugle-Boy-6DJ8-ECC88-Tube-Valve-/152332194938?hash=item2377b4d47a:g:K6gAAOSwImRYOMIV

Dec 1, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #8,012 of 8,309
anyway has anyone opened up the T1se and photo it?
biggrin.gif

Dec 4, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #8,013 of 8,309
  I am in the UK so ebay is probably my only source to buy new tubes.

You have a good source of tubes locally http://www.langrex.co.uk/.
It is not cheapest one but have really good tubes. Choosing of tube depends on your headphones and taste. So you could ask peoples with same headphones and musical taste or just try various tubes.
Just for example: First of your links (Brimar) is good tube for me. I have Siemens and Philips but I don't like it. Other peoples like Philips, another like Siemens.
Good luck in your searching!

Dec 10, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #8,014 of 8,309
Hello fellow t1 user. This thread sold me the t1 and I just ordered it . I ordered an amperex 7308 jan usa white label to replace the stock tube as well. I was lucky enough to find one on ebay for only 30$ but it was tested 48/87 the 48 seems a little too low aspecially compared to the other triode. Is that an issue ? Maybe this price for the 7308 is too good to be true ...

Dec 10, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #8,015 of 8,309
Hello fellow t1 user. This thread sold me the t1 and I just ordered it . I ordered an amperex 7308 jan usa white label to replace the stock tube as well. I was lucky enough to find one on ebay for only 30$ but it was tested 48/87 the 48 seems a little too low aspecially compared to the other triode. Is that an issue ? Maybe this price for the 7308 is too good to be true ...

Welcome to the Aune T1 club! I too have the 7308 Jan (1968 date!) a great tube. I don't know about the testing, mine was NOS and cost $50 for a "driver" tube a couple of years ago, I know they cost more than that, I've had good results with most things I've gotten through ebay, but there are horror stories out there as well. Let us know what you think of the T1 and how your tube "rotation" affects the sound. I had, at first feared that changing the tubes would be the type of thing you wouldn't notice (or needed to have "golden ears" to hear) but that isn't the case. The difference between tubes was quite pronounced in many cases and the 7308 is my favorite (my 2nd fave was a Siemens e88cc, which I now use with a Shiit Vali2 which I'm now using as an amp with the Aune DAC-the Aune amp served fine for some years before I upgraded the amp). By the way did you get MK 1, 2 or 3 on the Aune, mine is a 1.

Dec 14, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #8,017 of 8,309
Hey guys/gals,

Been a loooong time since I posted in the thread that probably played a role in me going back to get my Electrical Engineering degree.  However I just purchased a new toy and wanted to get some opinions on my current setup and how it will do with these.

So I will be switching from SoundMagic HP150's to Audeze EL-8 (open-backs) and I was wondering if anyone with a similar setup has these headphones?

Dec 15, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #8,018 of 8,309
The EL-8 open are better than the closed, and they have the Audeze house sound. Compared to dynamic drivers, I'd expect more bass, and faster transients. It's been years since I heard the EL-8's, but I remember comparing them side by side with the LCD-3F's and they seemed to have a similar sound. Warmish overall response, not terribly prickly treble.

Are you going to be using the T1 to drive them? I've found playnars to benefit from an amp that can push current, as opposed to huge voltage swing, which dynamics tend to favour. Either way, the amp of the T1 does neither well. On a budget, I'd recommend the O2 for playnars. It actually does a semi decent job. As for a DAC upgrade from the T1... The Geek Out v2A is really effing good. It destroys the T1.

Dec 17, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #8,019 of 8,309
 It destroys the T1.

As combo as DAC/amp for sure. T1 have good DAC part (musical and enjoyable with good tube). I have Sabre DAC (NFB-11 from Audio- GD). I think that it have same level as GreekOut advised by you. I still prefer Aune T1 as DAC only. I will show one photo for you:

Fortunately I have good tubes for both these devices.:)

Dec 17, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #8,020 of 8,309
As combo as DAC/amp for sure. T1 have good DAC part (musical and enjoyable with good tube). I have Sabre DAC (NFB-11 from Audio- GD). I think that it have same level as GreekOut advised by you. I still prefer Aune T1 as DAC only. I will show one photo for you:

Fortunately I have good tubes for both these devices.:)

As I commented above, the Aune T1 has a fine DAC. Even the little Schiit Vali2 improves on the Aune amp considerably but I see no need to upgrade the DAC at this point. With good tubes of course.

Dec 17, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #8,021 of 8,309
The EL-8 open are better than the closed, and they have the Audeze house sound. Compared to dynamic drivers, I'd expect more bass, and faster transients. It's been years since I heard the EL-8's, but I remember comparing them side by side with the LCD-3F's and they seemed to have a similar sound. Warmish overall response, not terribly prickly treble.

Are you going to be using the T1 to drive them? I've found playnars to benefit from an amp that can push current, as opposed to huge voltage swing, which dynamics tend to favour. Either way, the amp of the T1 does neither well. On a budget, I'd recommend the O2 for playnars. It actually does a semi decent job. As for a DAC upgrade from the T1... The Geek Out v2A is really effing good. It destroys the T1.

Appreciate your input on your experience with them.

Nah I haven't had the T1 amplifier board even installed since 2013 or so, haha.  I will be driving these with a Schiit Magni 2 at home and the few times I do take the Audeze EL-8's with me, I'll be driving them with a FiiO E12 DIY w/ a Burson Audio V5i-D op-amp.

Although, I am in the process of designing a full tube headphone pre-amp and amp in one housing as part of one of my design assignments in Electrical Engineering.
wink.gif

Dec 18, 2016 at 9:34 PM Post #8,022 of 8,309
Nice, that should be an awesome project.

I really enjoyed the T1, but having had a chance to listen to some other DACs, I have to say that it isn't exactly a knockout.

With a decent tube, it has the ability to sound very musical, but ultimately, the TI chip lacks overall clarity. It tends to sound warm and congested, with an overall emphasis on the midrange. The treble can definitely come across as more natural sounding than some Sabre implementations, and the tube buffer also allows for some beautiful euphonics.

I realize that it's priced below $200, but for the sake of comparison, the Modi Multibit is now fierce competition. It sounds more sophisticated than the T1, from top to bottom, without an overall emphasis on any particular frequency. The bass is more sophisticated and robust, the mids remove a layer of muddyness that may not be apparent until it's gone, and the treble remains relaxed, but more natural in tone and timbre.

The multibit modi would be my recommendation as a standalone DAC to compare with the T1, which I believe isn't even close. The TI chip on the T1 is inferior at overall resolution, despite any tube magic (and the tube magic is what sets the T1 apart from other budget oriented DACs). The natural sound invoked by the tube is present in spades with the MB modi, without the same level of overall distortion. The MB modi is by no means haze free... Comparing to the MB Gungnir, another level of detail is exposed, along with further ease of presentation, and less smear. Ditto MB Gungnir vs Yggdrasil, however the comparison is less stark.

Sabre implentation is also a very tricky thing. At its worst, the treble is absolutely terrible. At its best, it's artfully tuned, to the point where the treble is tastefully relaxed, however lacking the natural presentation of other DACs. I haven't heard many AGD offerings myself, so I have no idea if they've been able to tune the Sabre chip the way Larry Ho has (which is no small accomplishment).

There are a lot of budget DACs that mostly all sound relatively the same. When you hear something special, it really makes you realize the level of attention to design that can have an overall effect on a DAC. Throwing a tube buffer on a relatively cheap design can only get you so far. (I don't mean any disrespect to Aune either, but I strongly urge anyone interested in the T1 to consider the strong competition now available).

Dec 18, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #8,023 of 8,309
Currently I've replaced my T1 with a Matrix Mini-I for a DAC and its somewhat better than the T1. Overall presentation is a lot more pleasant, but I can't break down the individual improvements. For the money, the Mini-I is a great bargain because you get all of the different types of digital inputs and analog outputs. I've recently got myself a Chromecast Audio, and the optical out is feeding my optical in on the Mini-I and the USB is for the computer. Maybe if I get a CD transport I could use its coax out to my coax in as well.

Dec 21, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #8,024 of 8,309
I realize that it's priced below $200, but for the sake of comparison, the Modi Multibit is now fierce competition. It sounds more sophisticated than the T1, from top to bottom, without an overall emphasis on any particular frequency. The bass is more sophisticated and robust, the mids remove a layer of muddyness that may not be apparent until it's gone, and the treble remains relaxed, but more natural in tone and timbre.

The multibit modi would be my recommendation as a standalone DAC to compare with the T1

It must be a good one, it is sold out completely right now!

Dec 27, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #8,025 of 8,309
so I've continued having issues with my t1 mk1 and I've emailed the sales email from aunes site atleast 5 times now without a reply in weeks. Is there any other options to get one of these repaired? I just want to have an amp/dac again for my headphones lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back