Aune S17 pro
May 16, 2024 at 10:32 PM Post #2,326 of 2,360
I've asked ChatGPT (new 4th version) to analyze at least 5 reviews for each headamp (Aune S17 pro, Schiit Mjolnir, Flux Mentor) and to provide some summary. And I'm not sure what are the "additional features" parameter.
I also asked what parameters were completely guessed and partially guessed. Partially guessed are: Soundstage, Resolution, Instrument separations, holography, dynamic driver control, and planar driver control. I have no idea why Schiit Mjolnir 3 is so cheap but you can adjust the price yourself :)

Personally, I would order Flux today if they were available. I checked like twenty thousand million times - out of stock.
@Ichos, @Currawong, I wonder how you will rate the AI results, are they accurate?

ChatGPT:
Sure, here's a detailed comparison of the Aune S17 Pro, Schiit Mjolnir 3, and Flux Mentor headphone amplifiers based on multiple reviews and forum discussions, including Head-Fi.org. The comparison table includes ratings from 0 to 10 for various audiophile characteristics.

Amplifier Comparison​

CharacteristicAune S17 ProSchiit Mjolnir 3Flux Mentor
Build Quality8.599.5
Output Power89.59.5
Sound Quality999.5
Transparency8.599.5
Soundstage88.59.5
Bass Response8.599
Midrange8.599.5
Treble8.599
Ease of Use8.598.5
Resolution8.599.5
Instrument Separation8.599.5
Holography899.5
Dynamic Driver Control8.59.59
Planar Driver Control89.59.5
Additional Features88.59

Unique Features​

• Aune S17 Pro:
    • Compact design with a high-quality DAC
    • Known for detailed sound and a clean signal path
  • Schiit Mjolnir 3:
    • Fully discrete design with tube-like characteristics
    • Balanced and single-ended outputs
  • Flux Mentor:
    • Dual Mono Class-A design
    • High output power suitable for demanding headphones
    • Relay attenuator for precise volume control

Price Analysis​

Prices were calculated with a 15% tax and an additional $100 USD handling/shipping fee. Here are the estimated costs in NZD:

• Aune S17 Pro:
    • Price: $699 USD
    • Total (including tax and fee): $939.85 USD ≈ $1500 NZD
  • Schiit Mjolnir 3:
    • Price: $849 USD
    • Total (including tax and fee): $1176.35 USD ≈ $1880 NZD
  • Flux Mentor:
    • Price: $1299 USD
    • Total (including tax and fee): $1683.85 USD ≈ $2690 NZD

Cost to Performance Summary​

• Aune S17 Pro: Offers a very good balance of sound quality and features for its price. It's particularly well-suited for users who want a detailed and transparent sound without breaking the bank.
  • Schiit Mjolnir 3: Provides excellent output power and dynamic range, making it a great choice for those looking for versatility and high-quality performance across different headphones, especially for those who value a touch of analog warmth.
  • Flux Mentor: Positioned as a high-end option, the Mentor delivers exceptional sound quality and build, with powerful performance that excels in resolution and holography. It's ideal for audiophiles who demand the best and are willing to invest accordingly.

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 11:24 PM Post #2,327 of 2,360
What a good idea, although mine doesn't have a DAC... :wink:

May 17, 2024 at 2:36 AM Post #2,329 of 2,360
AI - this reminds me of statistical research in which it was found that statistically every inhabitant of the world has half a penis. :D

In addition to subjective issues that are difficult to discuss, objective issues include a number of errors in the assessment of AI.
The AI does not notice that, for example, the MJ3 has a useless SE output and the Mentor has no preamplifier function, and all 3 designs are fully balanced and discrete.

Let's stick to Sendu's assessment, i.e. the mentor is better by a hair, and therefore MJ3 by half a hair :wink:

Seriously, the S17 Pro works in my system with a DAC and headphones from the Mentor price range, and I personally do not feel that this amplifier limits the sound of the whole in any way.

If I'm thinking about a different, more expensive amplifier, it's probably only because I have too much money to spend at the moment. :)

Last edited:
May 17, 2024 at 2:39 AM Post #2,330 of 2,360
I've asked ChatGPT (new 4th version) to analyze at least 5 reviews for each headamp (Aune S17 pro, Schiit Mjolnir, Flux Mentor) and to provide some summary. And I'm not sure what are the "additional features" parameter.
I also asked what parameters were completely guessed and partially guessed. Partially guessed are: Soundstage, Resolution, Instrument separations, holography, dynamic driver control, and planar driver control. I have no idea why Schiit Mjolnir 3 is so cheap but you can adjust the price yourself :)

Personally, I would order Flux today if they were available. I checked like twenty thousand million times - out of stock.
@Ichos, @Currawong, I wonder how you will rate the AI results, are they accurate?

ChatGPT:
Sure, here's a detailed comparison of the Aune S17 Pro, Schiit Mjolnir 3, and Flux Mentor headphone amplifiers based on multiple reviews and forum discussions, including Head-Fi.org. The comparison table includes ratings from 0 to 10 for various audiophile characteristics.

Amplifier Comparison​

CharacteristicAune S17 ProSchiit Mjolnir 3Flux Mentor
Build Quality8.599.5
Output Power89.59.5
Sound Quality999.5
Transparency8.599.5
Soundstage88.59.5
Bass Response8.599
Midrange8.599.5
Treble8.599
Ease of Use8.598.5
Resolution8.599.5
Instrument Separation8.599.5
Holography899.5
Dynamic Driver Control8.59.59
Planar Driver Control89.59.5
Additional Features88.59

Unique Features​

• Aune S17 Pro:
    • Compact design with a high-quality DAC
    • Known for detailed sound and a clean signal path
  • Schiit Mjolnir 3:
    • Fully discrete design with tube-like characteristics
    • Balanced and single-ended outputs
  • Flux Mentor:
    • Dual Mono Class-A design
    • High output power suitable for demanding headphones
    • Relay attenuator for precise volume control

Price Analysis​

Prices were calculated with a 15% tax and an additional $100 USD handling/shipping fee. Here are the estimated costs in NZD:

• Aune S17 Pro:
    • Price: $699 USD
    • Total (including tax and fee): $939.85 USD ≈ $1500 NZD
  • Schiit Mjolnir 3:
    • Price: $849 USD
    • Total (including tax and fee): $1176.35 USD ≈ $1880 NZD
  • Flux Mentor:
    • Price: $1299 USD
    • Total (including tax and fee): $1683.85 USD ≈ $2690 NZD

Cost to Performance Summary​

• Aune S17 Pro: Offers a very good balance of sound quality and features for its price. It's particularly well-suited for users who want a detailed and transparent sound without breaking the bank.
  • Schiit Mjolnir 3: Provides excellent output power and dynamic range, making it a great choice for those looking for versatility and high-quality performance across different headphones, especially for those who value a touch of analog warmth.
  • Flux Mentor: Positioned as a high-end option, the Mentor delivers exceptional sound quality and build, with powerful performance that excels in resolution and holography. It's ideal for audiophiles who demand the best and are willing to invest accordingly.
Nice idea! AI is a champ in data analysis😉

May 17, 2024 at 4:25 AM Post #2,332 of 2,360
Pardon the bad-quality photos. Given S17 Pro to a friend.

1715934309833.jpeg

May 17, 2024 at 4:27 AM Post #2,333 of 2,360
Also, can anyone help me with how the battery needs to be replaced for the S17 pro's remote? There is no way to charge it.

I downloaded the manual but it doesn't mention anything about the remote.

@AuneAudio if you can help?

May 17, 2024 at 4:40 AM Post #2,334 of 2,360
You'll need a T-6 torx screwdriver and a CR1220 lithium cell battery. Undo the screw on the back, replace the battery, replace the back and screw, done.

May 17, 2024 at 4:44 AM Post #2,335 of 2,360
Also, can anyone help me with how the battery needs to be replaced for the S17 pro's remote? There is no way to charge it.

I downloaded the manual but it doesn't mention anything about the remote.

@AuneAudio if you can help?
If you watch carefully, you see that a very small 6-facet key is needed for opening the remote. Can be bought in tool departments in most shops I suppose. Can't remember if the key came with Aune.

May 17, 2024 at 4:47 AM Post #2,336 of 2,360
You'll need a T-6 torx screwdriver and a CR1220 lithium cell battery. Undo the screw on the back, replace the battery, replace the back and screw, done.
Thanks for confirming.

May 17, 2024 at 4:48 AM Post #2,337 of 2,360
If you watch carefully, you see that a very small 6-facet key is needed for opening the remote. Can be bought in tool departments in most shops I suppose. Can't remember if the key came with Aune.
No no it didn't come with the S17 Pro package. But I remembered Aune Flamengo has a Torx screwdriver as a part of the package

May 17, 2024 at 12:58 PM Post #2,338 of 2,360
S17 Pro vs V222. I spent about 3 hours this AM comparing the two, and my initial impressions are similar to previous reviewers. The S17 Pro reminds me of the MJ3 with a beautiful tone and weight to the notes, the music flows, sounds rise and fall with elasticity and weight. The sub bass is very good, strings sound clean, soundstage has good depth with large images. The V222 is equally enjoyable with a bit more technical presentation, images are smaller, vocals are a bit cleaner, percussion is a bit tighter. The S17 Pro is a more relaxing listen than the V222, the V222 is more aggressive (but still pleasant). V222 pulls out more micro details, but not much, the S17 Pro has more texture in the macro details. The presentations are quite different on some music, e.g. David Gray, White Ladder the V222 gets you focused on the vocals with instruments less emphasized, the emotion comes from the singer. The S17 Pro vocals on David Gray are less focused, but the guitars, sub bass, and synth have your focus and deliver emotion there. Moving over to EDM, Fischerspooner #1, the S17 Pro sounds amazing, rich and full with great bass and vocals have depth. The V222 is faster and tighter, but the S17 Pro has better texture making it seem equally if not more detailed. Both sound good with EDM, but I might actually like the S17 Pro better here.

I have a lot more testing to do, but at this point I can definitely recommend the S17 Pro based on sonics. My black unit serial # started with S1724 and I got it off Amazon this week, I had no issues with overheating or volume control. Chain = CD60->BF2/64->Amps->E3 using XLR for all connections (coax from CD to BF2/64). The S17 Pro is very good midfi, I went to CanJam last year and demo'd all the top stuff ($20K to $50K setups) for reference. I feel that midfi is really good these days and the S17 Pro is proof of that, I am now starting to believe that diminishing returns is real. My setup is not cheap, but certainly well below the megabuck stuff, looking forward to another CanJam this year and will re-test the high end stuff just for fun.

May 17, 2024 at 1:46 PM Post #2,339 of 2,360
the exact specifications of the hi-fi standard are known and I think they are still available. When you call it midfi, do you mean it doesn't meet the hifi standard?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back