Aune S17 pro
Nov 16, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #257 of 2,360
Going back to my earlier question, do you think it would be a good companion amp for a Violectric amp? As in, similar, but different.
Sorry, forgot this one!

As you said, similar but different or something like a variation on the same theme.

Nov 16, 2023 at 9:48 PM Post #258 of 2,360
This little jump in volume is not an issue. I don't know why people make such a fuss about it.
It´s class A with R2R volume setting, so it´s normal.
I don't think it is normal, I've used a Audio GD Master 1 preamp for over 10 years and never encountered a large jump. My S17 is now for sale cheap and I will be getting a Musician Audio or Audio GD preamp.

Nov 17, 2023 at 1:36 AM Post #259 of 2,360
I don't think it is normal, I've used a Audio GD Master 1 preamp for over 10 years and never encountered a large jump. My S17 is now for sale cheap and I will be getting a Musician Audio or Audio GD preamp.
I’m not an expert but I think this comparison is not really fair for 3 reasons:
1. The Audio GD Master 1 is a dedicated pre-amp so the engineers only had to deal with (predictable) high impedance output loads. In my opinion it is easier to evenly design their 99 volume steps over a known load.
2. The Audio GD is twice the price of the S17
3. The Audio GD has 99 steps whereas the Aune had to make more difficult design choices (see 1) with only 64 available steps.

… so don’t be to harsh on the S17, for it’s primary (headphone) use this how they designed it … not sure if it would have been technically possible (or desireable) to add a separate volume control for (high impedance) pre-outs only, not to mention the added cost.

Nov 17, 2023 at 7:53 AM Post #260 of 2,360
I’m not an expert but I think this comparison is not really fair for 3 reasons:
1. The Audio GD Master 1 is a dedicated pre-amp so the engineers only had to deal with (predictable) high impedance output loads. In my opinion it is easier to evenly design their 99 volume steps over a known load.
2. The Audio GD is twice the price of the S17
3. The Audio GD has 99 steps whereas the Aune had to make more difficult design choices (see 1) with only 64 available steps.

… so don’t be to harsh on the S17, for it’s primary (headphone) use this how they designed it … not sure if it would have been technically possible (or desireable) to add a separate volume control for (high impedance) pre-outs only, not to mention the added cost.
Thanks for the response.... and agree with most points, I'm not trying to be “harsh”, just disputing the claim that the problem is inherent in class A r2r designs. I actually have posted some positive comments previously. (I wonder what is really happening at the 55/56 transition... 56+ seems to me to be not as clean as below 55.)Also I can report that Aune customer service is fast, professional and efficient.

About the Master 1: “Master-1 allow users select between 99 steps exponential characteristic volume control and 70 steps linear characteristic volume control, whatever volume control allow users smooth to control the volume level .”

The S17 is marketed as having preamp outputs. Unfortunately in my case it does not perform as expected.
There are other headphone users reporting that they need to adjust the input gain to obtain satisfactory operating parameters.

So just generally speaking, I think good that this condition is brought to light...

Nov 17, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #261 of 2,360
I got the Silver version today from Amazon. a bit surprised to report no issues with sudden volume transitions and will circle back as I continue my burn-in and testing process.

I got all inputs hooked up, surprisingly I don't see volume imbalance at all at 55/56 , 0/1 or any of the volume increments. I did multiple tests with Preamp outs- one via RCA and another vial XLR. I have circle through all the headphones outs as well.

I am impressed so far with the amp as other users and reviews pointed out, running 26 to 70 ohm high sensitivity dynamic headphones (Meze 99 neo, Sony Z1R, DT 770 pro 32 ohm and few others) on High gain with 100ma current, temperature is stable at 60 degrees.

My DAC is SMSL Su-9n running in fixed more out via XLR, No background noise to report either in high mode or low mode, Meze 99 Neo is a sensitive phones and picks up background noise for me on other amps but on this is dead quite. I am around 17 to 22 depending on the headphone and song volume level.

The low gain does pushed the sound stage a bit farther away and High gain brings it a bit forward, it is almost like you are in middle row vs back row effect for lack of better terms.

Sound signature is perfect, balanced and high Res sounding. Aune did get the treble right on this amp, not loosing the details or speed and the right balance without the sibilance or over accented air to hyphen up the energy. Long listening sessions on this amp should be good.

Bass has good extension, rumble and impact without overdoing anything and balances out with rest of the sound. Voices/mids are well rounded and realistic.

This amps does get close to my LTA MZTL tube amp in lot of ways, there is a 3D holographic feeling due to the black background.

I will keep listening and discover my dislikes as well, but surely recommend the amp.

Nov 18, 2023 at 8:28 AM Post #262 of 2,360
I got the Silver version today from Amazon. a bit surprised to report no issues with sudden volume transitions and will circle back as I continue my burn-in and testing process.

I got all inputs hooked up, surprisingly I don't see volume imbalance at all at 55/56 , 0/1 or any of the volume increments. I did multiple tests with Preamp outs- one via RCA and another vial XLR. I have circle through all the headphones outs as well.

I am impressed so far with the amp as other users and reviews pointed out, running 26 to 70 ohm high sensitivity dynamic headphones (Meze 99 neo, Sony Z1R, DT 770 pro 32 ohm and few others) on High gain with 100ma current, temperature is stable at 60 degrees.

My DAC is SMSL Su-9n running in fixed more out via XLR, No background noise to report either in high mode or low mode, Meze 99 Neo is a sensitive phones and picks up background noise for me on other amps but on this is dead quite. I am around 17 to 22 depending on the headphone and song volume level.

The low gain does pushed the sound stage a bit farther away and High gain brings it a bit forward, it is almost like you are in middle row vs back row effect for lack of better terms.

Sound signature is perfect, balanced and high Res sounding. Aune did get the treble right on this amp, not loosing the details or speed and the right balance without the sibilance or over accented air to hyphen up the energy. Long listening sessions on this amp should be good.

Bass has good extension, rumble and impact without overdoing anything and balances out with rest of the sound. Voices/mids are well rounded and realistic.

This amps does get close to my LTA MZTL tube amp in lot of ways, there is a 3D holographic feeling due to the black background.

I will keep listening and discover my dislikes as well, but surely recommend the amp.
Just to clarify, you’re using 17-22 volume on high gain or low gain? I wouldn’t be surprised if people are looking at this thread because of the praise this amp is getting and trying to figure out if the volume jump issue is a true issue or not. If the volume level needed is much lower than the problem areas, then it seems like a moot point. If I do need to use the problem areas, that is a huge problem as I think getting the volume close to exactly right on your amp with headphones is one of the most important parts of sound quality.

Would love for someone to compare both this and the SA-1 amp in high gain. One big advantage of the SA-1 is it doesn’t get that hot/warm where I’ve heard this amp you need to be careful with. But I’ll consider it if the sound quality is noticeably better.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2023 at 9:24 AM Post #263 of 2,360
Just to clarify, you’re using 17-22 volume on high gain or low gain? I wouldn’t be surprised if people are looking at this thread because of the praise this amp is getting and trying to figure out if the volume jump issue is a true issue or not. If the volume level needed is much lower than the problem areas, then it seems like a moot point. If I do need to use the problem areas, that is a huge problem as I think getting the volume close to exactly right on your amp with headphones is one of the most important parts of sound quality.

Would love for someone to compare both this and the SA-1 amp in high gain. One big advantage of the SA-1 is it doesn’t get that hot/warm where I’ve heard this amp you need to be careful with. But I’ll consider it if the sound quality is noticeably better.
I receive a new unit today and will return my current unit as I’m trying to see if the volume issue persists, but to give you feed back on the sa-1 vs s17…I’ll put it this way, when i owned the sa-1 i always felt like it was doing the complete job, nothing missing, but also nothing special, it’s a well rounded amp, but the s17 is the best amp I’ve owned to date, it’s actually the first time i said to myself “wow this is a really good amp”. Sure I’ve heard amps at every level thanks to Canjam, but canjam is never quiet enough to really hear how good an amp is, but more so the headphones. The s17 is simply the next level up from the singxer, and i liked the sa-1. Used it for over a year.

Nov 18, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #264 of 2,360
Thanks for the response.... and agree with most points, I'm not trying to be “harsh”, just disputing the claim that the problem is inherent in class A r2r designs. I actually have posted some positive comments previously. (I wonder what is really happening at the 55/56 transition... 56+ seems to me to be not as clean as below 55.)Also I can report that Aune customer service is fast, professional and efficient.

About the Master 1: “Master-1 allow users select between 99 steps exponential characteristic volume control and 70 steps linear characteristic volume control, whatever volume control allow users smooth to control the volume level .”

The S17 is marketed as having preamp outputs. Unfortunately in my case it does not perform as expected.
There are other headphone users reporting that they need to adjust the input gain to obtain satisfactory operating parameters.

So just generally speaking, I think good that this condition is brought to light...
It's a defective unit

Nov 18, 2023 at 11:04 AM Post #265 of 2,360
It's a defective unit
maybe, but I don't think that it's defective. It sounds pretty good at lower levels. My first reaction (I posted already previously) of the distortion at 56+ was that I thought my tube amp was running out of steam...but....

I think it is post 158 where a distributor response is shared.. quote...

"....This is why there is a different circuit design below and above 56...."

Anyway, my personal observations are possibly amp distortion, but it would be interesting to understand the volume tapers that Aune chose to accommodate various headphones, and if things stay in Class A through all volume settings when in the low option.

Nov 18, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #266 of 2,360
forse, ma non credo che sia difettoso. Suona piuttosto bene ai livelli più bassi. La mia prima reazione (già postata in precedenza) alla distorsione a 56+ è stata che pensavo che il mio amplificatore valvolare stesse esaurendo le forze... ma...

Penso che sia il post 158 in cui viene condivisa la risposta di un distributore.. citazione...

"....Ecco perché c'è un disegno diverso del circuito sotto e sopra 56...."

Ad ogni modo, le mie osservazioni personali riguardano forse la distorsione dell'amplificatore, ma sarebbe interessante capire le rastremazioni del volume che Aune ha scelto per accogliere varie cuffie, e se le cose rimangono in Classe A attraverso tutte le impostazioni del volume quando è impostata l'opzione bassa.
It's not 158...do you remember the post number?

Nov 18, 2023 at 11:16 AM Post #267 of 2,360

I am using high gain and between 17 -22 and still no volume issues to report on my unit.

Nov 18, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #268 of 2,360
I am using high gain and between 17 -22 and still no volume issues to report on my unit.
Do you hear an increase in volume with each step up? I only get an increase every 4 steps

Nov 18, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #270 of 2,360
Sorry, I really think that you all have defective unit...check your serial numbers
How do you know which serial are defective?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back