Aune S17 pro
Nov 14, 2023 at 5:17 PM Post #241 of 2,360
Nov 14, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #243 of 2,360
But half of my heart belongs to the S17 Pro...

Well, joking aside, I like them both and honestly I slightly prefer the timbre of the S17 Pro. Then it is about matching. Some headphones will benefit from the slightly superior technicalities of the V222, the transparency and the speed.
Some others will love the thicker texture of the Aune.
The V222 is also able to produce larger voltage swing for high Z loads but it is not that the S17 Pro is not competitive.
@Ichos first of all thank you for your review which I found to be the most interesting especially for the comparison made with the V222. I would like to ask you, in your opinion which of the two Amps would be more suitable with the very efficent and the technicalities of the LCD-X 2021?

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #245 of 2,360
Thanks. Where are the questions?
I wrote them under comments on the review. I can copy them here if you like?

Nov 14, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #246 of 2,360
Thanks. Where are the questions?
Copied from your review site:

"Great review as usual, Petros.

My concern with any new amp is does it play nice with my very efficient headphones; Grado’s, iBasso SR2’s, CFA Cascades, etc. Would I have some range with them or would they max out quickly?

Also, would this be a good companion amp with my Violectric V220?

Thank you."

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2023 at 1:14 AM Post #247 of 2,360
I wrote them under comments on the review. I can copy them here if you like?

Copied from your review site:

"Great review as usual, Petros.

My concern with any new amp is does it play nice with my very efficient headphones; Grado’s, iBasso SR2’s, CFA Cascades, etc. Would I have some range with them or would they max out quickly?

Also, would this be a good companion amp with my Violectric V220?

Thank you."
Hi Shane, thank you, just saw the comments...

Well, the SR2 is rated at 24/108 and the Focal Clear Mg 55/104.
The iBasso will need 0.16mW and the Focal 0.40mW to reach 100dB.
So the iBasso will need 2.5 less power.
With the Focal was loud but comfortable at about 35 low gain so the iBasso will get the same loudness at about 14-15. Not that bad.

Nov 15, 2023 at 1:43 AM Post #248 of 2,360
@Ichos first of all thank you for your review which I found to be the most interesting especially for the comparison made with the V222. I would like to ask you, in your opinion which of the two Amps would be more suitable with the very efficent and the technicalities of the LCD-X 2021?
Hi and thank you.

Unfortunately I haven't tested the LCD-X 21 so I can't help. Let's say that if you need the best possible technicalities and a slightly more lively presentation then go with the V222. For slightly more laid back and smooth sound without lacking in technicallities then with the S17 Pro.

Nov 15, 2023 at 5:49 PM Post #249 of 2,360
I owned the A90 briefly and it was the flattest, most boring amp ever. Flat narrow staging, poor imaging, mediocre dynamics, and something was off timbre-wise. Almost rolled off sounding. I think shortly after I got the full Class A Bryston BHA-1 which was infinitely better. The S17 Pro is similarly designed to the BHA-1. The A90 has that nested feedback or whatever topology which I suppose the advantage is high power, efficiency, measures well on paper, and compact size. But the subjective sound quality is lacking to my ears. Long story short, get the Aune if you can.

@drspeter Your DAC is excellent though. I used to own the X26 Pro and it was an amazing DAC, especially for the price.
Hi can you compare the BHA-1 with S17 pro or suggest which is better. I'm trying to decide which one to get. I like something more dynamic and exciting and has good soundstage.

Nov 16, 2023 at 1:04 AM Post #250 of 2,360
Hi can you compare the BHA-1 with S17 pro or suggest which is better. I'm trying to decide which one to get. I like something more dynamic and exciting and has good soundstage.
It's been a while since I owned the BHA-1, so I can't tell you about sound but I don't think you can go wrong with either. Obviously, the BHA-1 is more expensive, made in Canada, and has an insane 25-year warranty. Also, it is known for being extremely reliable, never heard of a BHA-1 failing. The Aune is an unknown at this point, but considering it's a Chinese product, it could be unreliable or possibly very reliable. The BHA-1 should have much better resale value and longevity of ownership than the Aune. Also, for a fully Class A amp, it never ran too hot, but is quite a large-sized amp. If you can afford both, I'd get the BHA-1. That being said, the Aune is unbeatable at its price point currently (new vs new).

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2023 at 7:39 AM Post #251 of 2,360
I don't mean to be a bore about this, but I got cold feet about ordering an item as expensive as the S17 from AliExpress. (While $700 appears cheap for the S17's capabilities, it's a lot of money to me. TBH, my decision was helped along by the fact that the HiFiGo store on AliExpress was unexpectedly not only charging me NJ sales tax, but the amount was apparently calculated on the full price of $699, not the actual price of $599.) Being paranoid and having no real US alternative ATM, I decided it was safest to order it directly from Aune's official store in China at full price (but no sales tax), even though I could not ascertain their shipping method other than it was free. I ordered it early on Wednesday morning EST (Wuhan is 12 hours ahead) and woke up this morning (Thursday) to a lovely email from Candy at Aune (which appears personally drafted, not computer generated) telling me that the S17 has been shipped, giving me the DHL tracking number, and adding that Aune had also given me a pair of balanced cables for free (not specific, I assume XLR connector cables). DHL shows a Tuesday delivery. I'm pleased and exited and Aune certainly has a new fan. Now if I only knew the proper pronunciation of Aune :beyersmile:

Nov 16, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #252 of 2,360
HiFiGo store
That is why it`s better to order from hifigo web store. For some reason choosing standard shipping which is YunExpress, all taxes are included in price. To my calculations to buy S17 Hifigo store is still the best deal even after all coupons (for EU citizen). Try to order from Hifigo store, maybe US has the same terms.

Nov 16, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #254 of 2,360
@Ichos
Great review as usual,
You made me want to and just a few days ago I ordered this amplifier,
Do you think it is a good pairing with hd800 and dca expanse?
Thanks!
Hi, thank you very much and sorry for your wallet 😀

I don't have the Expanse but I think that is going to pair well with the HD800 because of the smooth treble and the weighty low end. Actually I think that the Aune S17 Pro is one of the best solid state amplifiers for the HD800.

Nov 16, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #255 of 2,360
Hi, thank you very much and sorry for your wallet 😀

I don't have the Expanse but I think that is going to pair well with the HD800 because of the smooth treble and the weighty low end. Actually I think that the Aune S17 Pro is one of the best solid state amplifiers for the HD800.
Going back to my earlier question, do you think it would be a good companion amp for a Violectric amp? As in, similar, but different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back