Aune S17 pro
Nov 2, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #151 of 2,420
well the price is actually from aune's official store and also the response isn't clear on what the actual difference is between s17 and s17 pro because from what i gather the word pro isn't labeled anywhere on the actual s17 pro unit and looking at the marketing material, they are identical for both.

Nov 2, 2023 at 6:46 PM Post #153 of 2,420
I just got mine. The volume control calibration may not be perfect but oh my, it sounds divine. The remote works just fine. Recommended.
Something tells me that somewhere down the line they will fix the volume control in later models, and that would suck, but they do have service in the U.S which is good to know.

Nov 3, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #155 of 2,420
Something tells me that somewhere down the line they will fix the volume control in later models, and that would suck, but they do have service in the U.S which is good to know.
I don’t know how one would or could correctly dimension the optimal ‘volume-steps’ when you have 64 steps available to cover the full range from complete silence to full volume.
In my opinion there will always be a trade-of and the Aune engineers will have made design choices where to have more resolution and where it is acceptable to have less. In addition you can change the gain as an extra variable in order to find your volume sweet-spot.

In other words, I’m not convinced Aune sees this as something that could or should be ‘fixed’, maybe it’s by-design.

Nov 3, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #156 of 2,420
I am (was?) considering buying this amp to use with Hifiman Arya Stealth and Focal Radiance. What would be the usable volume range? I'm guessing that would be in low range.
Hi, I have Arya Organic and Radiance, normal listening volume on low gain (balanced in (5.2V), balanced out) is 10 to 15, 20 is loud for me (for short time only). Radiance 2 to 3 steps lower then Arya. Radiance on 1 can be too loud for quiet listening.. the sound is great, best amp for me to date (had Singxer sda2, audio gd master 19, smsl sh9, burson conductor 3xR, earmen Champ).

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2023 at 8:12 PM Post #158 of 2,420
Going back and forth between this and the Violectric V222. Will have to choose without listening. Difficult choices... 🙂
If price isn't an issue, go for the v222. Better build quality, smaller footprint and better at driving efficient and inefficient headphones (like the above yours described, the amp basically has very little volume range for efficient headphones)

Nov 4, 2023 at 3:08 AM Post #159 of 2,420
I noticed similar problems with the volume control. That 55 to 56 step is ridiculous and most times I need something in between. Also I have 2 remotes and neither work at all. I bought this as a main room speaker preamp after watching the Soundnews review, very disappointed so far... I'll contact the factory and report back here any updates.
The remote controls for global products and the remote controls for Chinese domestic products have different signals. If the remote control you bought doesn't work, that's probably why.

Nov 6, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #161 of 2,420
The remote controls for global products and the remote controls for Chinese domestic products have different signals. If the remote control you bought doesn't work, that's probably why.
That very well could be the problem , however I bought the S17 and remote at the same time from the same store in China..... The Chinese sales materials just mention something to the effect that the remote needs be purchased separately....

Many thanks for the info!

Nov 6, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #162 of 2,420

Nov 6, 2023 at 1:03 PM Post #164 of 2,420
Nov 6, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #165 of 2,420
Good review in explaining the current mode and the impact on sound signature particularly comparing it to Topping A90 for reference.
While not as specific as I'd like, he seemed to explain the two current modes differently than Sandu of Soundnews did. Sandu described it as a toggle between Class A operation (100 mA) and Class AB operation (50 mA). The iiWi reviewer (I'm not sure if he ever gives his name on the channel) appears to describe both modes as always operating in Class A, but with two levels of current. This would seem to be what Aune states: "The S17 Pro specially designed two levels of class-A current: 50mA/100mA per transistor." In any case, this is really just a matter of academic curiosity, especially since I expect to almost always run it in 100mA mode; I like it cool and the weather is finally cooling down here in New Jersey. I'll be buying the S17 next week (when I get a check).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back