Aune S17 pro
Oct 30, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #136 of 2,360
You guys are complaining about volume control, i will honestly admit that it is faulty, could definitely use lots of work, but the sound coming from this thing is better than anything I’ve heard under $1000 besides the geshelli archel 3 pro with 2 watts and i highly doubt that it’s class-A (haven’t heard it personally but the reviews seem promising) and even so this is 7.5 watts of class-A we are talking about here, what more do you want for your $700, would you be willing to spend more on better volume control is the question…my main concern in audio is the way something sounds. Let’s not forget why we’re here on the first place.

Oct 30, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #137 of 2,360
This kind of issue is not cost dependent, cause they could just choose different encoder, for same 0.20$ each.

Oct 30, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #138 of 2,360
This issue has me also on fence to not pull the trigger, a bit disappointed with Sound News review, he did put it in comments but makes me wonder whether it is intentional... I believe it does play a bit of havoc on multi use purpose with different gain scenarios from input sources in preamp and or headphone use. I wish they had given a bypass option to use the amp in power amp mode so that upstream source volume control can take over but nevertheless for pure fixed line DAC, this is an overlook particularly given their focus on choosing other components for sound quality.

Oct 30, 2023 at 11:30 PM Post #139 of 2,360
You guys are complaining about volume control, i will honestly admit that it is faulty, could definitely use lots of work, but the sound coming from this thing is better than anything I’ve heard under $1000 besides the geshelli archel 3 pro with 2 watts and i highly doubt that it’s class-A (haven’t heard it personally but the reviews seem promising) and even so this is 7.5 watts of class-A we are talking about here, what more do you want for your $700, would you be willing to spend more on better volume control is the question…my main concern in audio is the way something sounds. Let’s not forget why we’re here on the first place.
I guess you are lucky that the volume control does not affect your particular situation.

In my case, I want to run the preamp in low gain mode with the main amp set to triode and the correct volume level in my room would be a setting of around 55.3. 55 is too soft, 56 causes overload to audible distortion. So I cannot use the preamp as would be expected. I have/had a dozen or so preamps in the past 10 years, and none have had such a gross deviation. This is a defect of the basic functionality expected in this price range. Also, my remote control does not function. I'm pretty sure that it is the amp as I bought another remote and that is not working either.

So far, the Aune sounds good as a preamp however when I run the main amp in UL mode. MUCH more natural sound to my ears than the Topping Pre90... but not quite as clear as my transformers based passive.

Oct 30, 2023 at 11:49 PM Post #140 of 2,360
I tired to ask " Wuhan AuneAcoustics Co.Ltd." on a possible fix to this issue pointing to you tube review via Amazon, they misinterpreted my message saying I may have a defective unit and wanted me to send the unit to some address in CA. I kind of left there not having the patience to reiterate the original message, I am not sure they understood my message.

Oct 31, 2023 at 1:36 AM Post #141 of 2,360
I also have certain complaints about the volume control - it does not work very evenly and it is not very convenient to use it in this regard.
But, fortunately, the volume in Tidal and other programs is perfectly regulated by the mouse wheel (Logitech MX Master 3) and this completely solves the problem.

Oct 31, 2023 at 8:44 AM Post #142 of 2,360
I also have certain complaints about the volume control - it does not work very evenly and it is not very convenient to use it in this regard.
But, fortunately, the volume in Tidal and other programs is perfectly regulated by the mouse wheel (Logitech MX Master 3) and this completely solves the problem.
For my Hifiman he6se v2 I leave the volume at 56 with low gain.
Overall this is just fine but if needed I can add a small -1,7dB correction in HQPlayer (as volume 55 it is indeed to soft)
It is strange (and might be a little inconvenient for some) but not a real problem for me and the sound quality is phenomenal.

Oct 31, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #143 of 2,360
For my Hifiman he6se v2 I leave the volume at 56 with low gain.
Overall this is just fine but if needed I can add a small -1,7dB correction in HQPlayer (as volume 55 it is indeed to soft)
It is strange (and might be a little inconvenient for some) but not a real problem for me and the sound quality is phenomenal.
Agreed, i can understand the frustration it may cause some, but it sounds so good for the price that I’d work around it, however…to each his own

Oct 31, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #144 of 2,360
I plan on buying an S17 in a couple of weeks and this discussion bothers me not at all. If there is a problem for certain users with the S17's volume control beyond 55, and I emphasize that I have no doubt it exists as described, there is a good reason that Sandu never apparently experienced it. He tested the S17 with his large collection of headphones (including the Arya Stealth, the one I will be using most often with the S17) and stated that even during loud listening he never got beyond 30-32 on the volume dial except (no surprise) with the Susvara, which he used at around 50 or a bit more. I listen at pretty loud levels, but since I don't, and will never, have a Susvara (or an Abyss or Dan Clark Expanse), I don't anticipate any problem. (Though I hope that isn't famous last words.)

However, I do have one problem with the S17 volume control: as someone who likely has a touch of OCD, it bothers me that it is calibrated in 64 steps (0-63) rather than 0-100. I have several amps (Gustard H16, FiiO Q7) and a couple of dongles with digital volume displays and they are all calibrated 0-100. 63 just seems ... wrong somehow.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #145 of 2,360
As another reference to the volume levels - Audeze LCD XC 2021 closed 20ohm ;

10 normal listening range ( +/- 3 depending on the recording ).
20 is about as high as i want to go, gets uncomfortably loud then.

Low Gain + XLR Balanced out - Windows vol 98% / Spotify 100%

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2023 at 4:51 AM Post #147 of 2,360
I use Arya Stealth with low gain at about 53 volume divisions.
Balanced 4.4 mm connector.

But I additionally adjust the volume by the level of the "system" sound, which I have displayed on an additional mouse wheel.
So this is a level with a volume margin of about 30 percent.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2023 at 5:30 AM Post #148 of 2,360
So I just stumbled across this tread and find this amp pretty interesting. Looking on JD.com (I am in China) and was surprised that this unit is priced at less than 3000RMB (around 400 USD) with the remote. The model is S17 instead of S17 pro but after double checking the specs are exactly the same. I'm seriously considering it for this price

Nov 1, 2023 at 1:54 PM Post #149 of 2,360
So I just stumbled across this tread and find this amp pretty interesting. Looking on JD.com (I am in China) and was surprised that this unit is priced at less than 3000RMB (around 400 USD) with the remote. The model is S17 instead of S17 pro but after double checking the specs are exactly the same. I'm seriously considering it for this price
yes, same model.

I've not seen a single one that actually has the word 'Pro' on the amp itself.

Nov 2, 2023 at 6:43 AM Post #150 of 2,360
I contacted the aune company and received a reply.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
Hello
$400 USD did not include shipping cost and warranty, only if you buy from our official distributors in your Country,you can share the after-sale service. thanks,also S17 Pro is different from S17 with the remote control,thanks

发自我的iPhone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back