Aune M1s Impressions & Discussion Thread (Aune's newest hi-res DAP with ESS9018KM + 2.5mm Balanced Out)
Dec 10, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #63 of 1,991
My MAC recognized the aune card while plugged in today! No more sd card adapter for me. This time I used the audio quest jitterbug while transferring files to the m1s. Scared to even voice my impressions haha but seriously the $49 jitterbug is so useful!

Dec 10, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #65 of 1,991

25 hours of play time on the M1s, and it continues to impress. The detail retrieval, resolution, and soundstage is fantastic. It's performance in my opinion deserves a higher price tag. Pink Floyd- The Wall, while using the VE duke AE, has a massive soundstage and deep bass. The sound overall is becoming more rich with burn in. After 100 hours I will post a full review.

Are you able to fast forward through the song?  I'm still having a hard time with long press vs short click of the d-pad control.  The sound is fantastic, no doubt about it, but it's hard to make a judgment about the design, the interface, and hw controls when dealing with engineering sample and a buggy sw/fw rather than a final product.  2.5mm bal output sounds very impressive for sure, but I would have preferred just 3 transport control buttons instead of d-pad control (in this particular design), and perhaps a more compact shape.  Of course, my subjective opinion
biggrin.gif

Dec 10, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #66 of 1,991
Just saw some pics on Aune's website. I was at the impression that the menu navigation is done through scroll wheel. But it's a traditional 4-directional DPad.  Can @kydu, @nmatheis, or @twister6 pls confirm? Also wondering if firmware allows you to change the volume when you are not in the 'now playing' screen. In Aune M2 this not possible and it's very annoying.

Dec 10, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #67 of 1,991
My MAC recognized the aune card while plugged in today! No more sd card adapter for me. This time I used the audio quest jitterbug while transferring files to the m1s. Scared to even voice my impressions haha but seriously the $49 jitterbug is so useful!

No such luck here with Windows 7, from either usb2.0 or 3.0.  Have to use SD adapter to copy files directly from my laptop.

Dec 10, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #68 of 1,991
  Just saw some pics in the Aune's website. I was at the impression that the menu navigation is done through scroll wheel. But it's a traditional 4-directional DPad.  Can @kydu or @nmatheis  pls confirm? Also wondering if firmware allows you to change the volume when you are not in the 'now playing' screen. In Aune M2 this not possible and it's very annoying.

You can change volume from any screen, and yes - it's NOT a scroll wheel but a 4-way directional pad (d-pad).

Dec 10, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #69 of 1,991
Are you able to fast forward through the song?  I'm still having a hard time with long press vs short click of the d-pad control.  The sound is fantastic, no doubt about it, but it's hard to make a judgment about the design, the interface, and hw controls when dealing with engineering sample and a buggy sw/fw rather than a final product.  2.5mm bal output sounds very impressive for sure, but I would have preferred just 3 transport control buttons instead of d-pad control (in this particular design), and perhaps a more compact shape.  Of course, my subjective opinion :D

I can fast forward with no issue. I also prefer the option to have the pad controls functional while screen is locked. Honestly I have zero issues with it at all, besides not having a album or artist folder at main screen. Folder and songs are the only options for now, but that's easily fixable in a firmware update.

Dec 10, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #71 of 1,991
Just saw some pics in the Aune's website. I was at the impression that the menu navigation is done through scroll wheel. But it's a traditional 4-directional DPad.  Can @kydu
, @nmatheis
, or @twister6
pls confirm? Also wondering if firmware allows you to change the volume when you are not in the 'now playing' screen. In Aune M2 this not possible and it's very annoying.

Well, I don't have it yet and have a high degree of trust in Alex's judgment. I'll provide my perspective once I receive mine. One thing I'm not sure if is whether I'm getting an engineering sample or final production model. With the M2, I received an engineering sample and it had some fit and finish issues not found in the final production models. I can only imagine Alex is running into the same type of issues.

Dec 10, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #72 of 1,991
  I'm still having a hard time with long press vs short click of the d-pad control.  The sound is fantastic, no doubt about it, but it's hard to make a judgment about the design, the interface, and hw controls when dealing with engineering sample and a buggy sw/fw rather than a final product.  2.5mm bal output sounds very impressive for sure, but I would have preferred just 3 transport control buttons instead of d-pad control (in this particular design), and perhaps a more compact shape.  Of course, my subjective opinion
biggrin.gif

I have to agree with you Alex.  Because the scroll wheel seems pretty common with DAPs nowadays, it was also my initial thought that they adopted the same function.  But a D-pad?  It would've been better if they made separate buttons for those instead of a single circular D-pad, which on some tends to malfunction over time just like the scroll wheel.  I expected a bit better functionality in hardware controls but if it's really like how you have described it, then maybe this DAP is not for me.  I hope we get more clarifications, like those review samples were just a bit different compared to the retail versions.

Dec 10, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #74 of 1,991

I'm still having a hard time with long press vs short click of the d-pad control.  The sound is fantastic, no doubt about it, but it's hard to make a judgment about the design, the interface, and hw controls when dealing with engineering sample and a buggy sw/fw rather than a final product.  2.5mm bal output sounds very impressive for sure, but I would have preferred just 3 transport control buttons instead of d-pad control (in this particular design), and perhaps a more compact shape.  Of course, my subjective opinion
biggrin.gif

I have to agree with you Alex.  Because the scroll wheel seems pretty common with DAPs nowadays, it was also my initial thought that they adopted the same function.  But a D-pad?  It would've been better if they made separate buttons for those instead of a single circular D-pad, which on some tends to malfunction over time just like the scroll wheel.  I expected a bit better functionality in hardware controls but if it's really like how you have described it, then maybe this DAP is not for me.  I hope we get more clarifications, like those review samples were just a bit different compared to the retail versions.

Another problem with d-pad, unless we are talking about PAW Gold
wink.gif
, it's hard to operate blind, especially when in your pocket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back