Auditioning headphones in Indiana area
Dec 26, 2011 at 6:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

mannaburn

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi! So I figured, to find the best cans for myself, I need to audition some cans at an audio store or something. Can any of you recommend any store in the Indiana area or even Illinois that has cans like AKG, Grado, Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic and even Audeze that I can try? If any of you have positive experiences in any stores in the area please let me know! I really am looking for a house sound that I like. Any other suggestions as to how I can test out several cans would be appreciated too.

Thank you!!!

Dec 26, 2011 at 6:58 AM Post #2 of 21
not in illinois. in the chicago area, theres a couple stores with grado, and theres a store near me that has akg.

Dec 26, 2011 at 7:52 AM Post #4 of 21
Lafayette Indiana, but I'm at a point where I will drive up to illinois and anywhere in indiana or the surrounding states

Dec 27, 2011 at 7:58 AM Post #6 of 21
Do you have any experience with certain "house" sounds already?

Places like Guitar Center/Sam Ash usually have some headphones in stock, but not much.  They usually have some Samsons, Sennhesiers, Shures, and AKGs - but mainly sub $100 stuff..  They have some higher end stuff like AKG Q701, beyerdynamic DTxxx on their website, but not in stores ( they could probably order some to the store for you to try).

Dec 27, 2011 at 9:28 AM Post #7 of 21
I live in chicago and decibel audio on milwaukee avenue carries a healthy selection of grado headphones for auditioning.Including some more expensive models,If they do not have the better grados on display just ask they had the rs1i and gs1000 when i bought my rs1is.They have a listening station with a music hall headphone ampfor auditioning.

Dec 27, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #9 of 21

Quote:
Do you have any experience with certain "house" sounds already?

Places like Guitar Center/Sam Ash usually have some headphones in stock, but not much.  They usually have some Samsons, Sennhesiers, Shures, and AKGs - but mainly sub $100 stuff..  They have some higher end stuff like AKG Q701, beyerdynamic DTxxx on their website, but not in stores ( they could probably order some to the store for you to try).

No, I don't think I experienced anything other than AKG right now.

Thank you for your suggestion buson160man, those stores sound great! do they let you try the headphones with some amps?

Dec 28, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #10 of 21
sent you a pm. also recommend decibel audio and music direct like these guys.

also saturday audio exchange, audio consultants (lots of locations, different stuff at each, evanston is pretty good as far as headphones goes), and also holm audio.

Dec 29, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #11 of 21
Hello everyone! I'm in Chicago and I visited audio consultants in Chicago and Evanston. It was really cool and I got to try  some sr 325, Rs1, Ps 1000, HD 600 & 650, and the pièce de résistance, the HD 800. The grado headphones were great, definitely easier to drive from my iPod and have lots of bass, but I feel the resolution of the mid and highs were sub par compared to the senns. Surprisingly, I preferred my K701s to the senns, even the 650. The senns would definitely be a better day to day headphone as I feel it was great all round. I expect the 650 do excel in all genres of music, but I missed the AKG's exceptional clarity especially in the mids and highs. What's funny is, I didn't appreciate my K701 as much as I should have until I tested all these headphones. The Ps 1000 however really shows what grado can do. Still having significant similarities to the 325 and the Rs1 but better in every way.  Finally, the HD 800...... What can I say...... I don't even.... Basically mind BLOWN! Speechless, can't describe..... I wanted to cry when I took those headphones off.

Thank you everyone for letting me know where to look and what to look for. It has given me this great joy of knowing what music can be when properly equipped. I actually went to music direct but I think they were closed. Their "abandoned warehouse" storefront was definitely confusing and no one answered the intercom or the phones. I didn't stick around.... This scrawny little Asian kid (me) got spooked when a couple of big guys were walking towards him. It was too bad. I really wanted to try out the LCD 2 after hearing the HD800s. Oh well. That's it so far for the update. I will try music direct again tomorrow before I leave, hope they're open! fingers crossed. 

Cheers!

Dec 29, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #12 of 21
the newer hd 650s are better, i know audio consultants have the older version with black drivers.

ps 1000 are awesome and i think better than T1 in some aspects. 

lol hd 800s are basically upgraded akg 701 so if you like your akg, the  hd 800s are your true calling 
wink.gif

Dec 29, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #13 of 21
I might be a little bit late, but there's a store called Ovation Audio that has locations on Indy's north and south side.  They don't have the widest headphone selection, but last time I was there I set up my laptop/dac/amp in one of their conference rooms and had a listen to the Grado SR60i/80i/225i, AKG K271 MK2, Senn HD650, and a couple others.  I'd still recommend buying from a reputable online seller, but the Ovation staff is usually pretty nice about letting you demo whatever.

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #14 of 21

Quote:
I might be a little bit late, but there's a store called Ovation Audio that has locations on Indy's north and south side.  They don't have the widest headphone selection, but last time I was there I set up my laptop/dac/amp in one of their conference rooms and had a listen to the Grado SR60i/80i/225i, AKG K271 MK2, Senn HD650, and a couple others.  I'd still recommend buying from a reputable online seller, but the Ovation staff is usually pretty nice about letting you demo whatever.

lower mid-fi :frowning2:    (except 225 and hd 650)

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:
lol hd 800s are basically upgraded akg 701 so if you like your akg, the  hd 800s are your true calling 
wink.gif

That sounds like me...  maybe someday...
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back