Audiotrak Prodigy HD2 opamp configurations list
Sep 24, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #61 of 492
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you're brave enough, you can prolly crossflash your card to be compatible w/ the VIA drivers: AUDIOTRAK - User Community

Pff, thats too much work for me
frown.gif
Thanks for the heads up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FasterThanEver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is your configuration? (OS, player, output plugin, ASIO, Kernel Streaming or DirectSound, upsampling, etc.)

XP SP3, latest Winamp with ASIO (v0.67). Im not sure what upsampling does but I felt I would just lock at 44.1khz. The locking has no influence on the glitches I hear every now and then. The glitches only occur when the processor has to work. Opening a simple website can sometimes be shortly audible. In the worst case I get a BSOD but this is only when for example Winamp is running and I check a youtube vid at the same time. This shouldnt happen right?

Sep 24, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #63 of 492
Quote:

Originally Posted by moriez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pff, thats too much work for me
frown.gif
Thanks for the heads up.

XP SP3, latest Winamp with ASIO (v0.67). Im not sure what upsampling does but I felt I would just lock at 44.1khz. The locking has no influence on the glitches I hear every now and then. The glitches only occur when the processor has to work. Opening a simple website can sometimes be shortly audible. In the worst case I get a BSOD but this is only when for example Winamp is running and I check a youtube vid at the same time. This shouldnt happen right?

No it shouldn't happen. The drivers sound like they are very buggy to say the least. Reading around many people seem to complain about them.

Sep 24, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #64 of 492
Quote:

yeah, lot of ppl said that ASIO is terrible w/ the EWDM drivers...tried 32bit KS? keep the sample rate unlocked and disable the S/PDIF output.

So simple ASIO output doesn't work?
Your suggestion is just to ignore the ASIO bug and go with Kernel streming instead and disable the S/Pdif output? -What if the person wants S/Pdif output or ASIO?
Seems like alot of uneeded junk just to get a simple output working.
redface.gif

Sep 25, 2009 at 8:58 AM Post #65 of 492
Well, I increased the latency in the HD2 panel from the default 256 to 512. Guess what? In the half hour of testing no more glitches running a youtube vid with winamp. No glitch when minimizing audio scrobbler
biggrin.gif

I couldnt get KS to play so im still with ASIO btw and sample rate unlocked. SPDIF is on ''CON".

Sep 25, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #69 of 492
KS should work, especially in 32bit?! set the samplerate to auto, disable S/PDIF and keep messing w/ the options until it gives...no need to set any latency in KS, unlike ASIO
wink.gif

I found LT1361 whiney, but 1364 sounds so damn good...I'll try LT1363 and LT1028 next week
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 25, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #70 of 492
Quote:

Originally Posted by moriez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At the moment that seems the case. How would you explain this logically? What happened?

Whenever you hear interruptions in audio playback, it is often the result of the buffer in front of the DAC chip running out of audio samples. you may hear this as clicks, pops, a pause or some other undesirable result.

The player software may have a buffer setting parameter and so may the ASIO driver.

Other software such as an anti-virus program, the Windows update service, Windows drive indexing and system restore checkpointing can compete for CPU time and disk I/O capability and delay execution of the player software.

There can also be delays at the level of the driver s/w and at the PCI bus level leading to underruns at the DAC chip.

Audio playback is a real-time task. The flow of audio data from audio data file to the DAC chip has to keep up at all times or you hear a glitch. You seem to have gotten first hand experience with the nature of the process.

Set buffer sizes so that you never hear a glitch. No point in a higher setting and no value in hearing glitches from a too low buffer size.

You might also consider taming your A/W software so that it does not run aggressively all the time.

Bill

Sep 26, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #71 of 492
Quote:

atm I'm using 2*LT1364 on the HP out(I took out the third op-amp, so sound has less gain and seems less agressive)....I'm liking it *a lot*

So you leave the front opamp socket empty? And in your opinion this sounds better than a third opamp included?

Quote:

disable S/PDIF

How?

Quote:

Originally Posted by FasterThanEver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might also consider taming your A/W software so that it does not run aggressively all the time.

A/W software?

Sep 27, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #73 of 492
I don't know how to disable S/PDIF in the EWDM drivers, these beta drivers look way too wonky for me to touch them
biggrin.gif

plus I've found an old version of the VIA drivers that gives 100% bit-matched/bit-perfect KS, no volume control works whatsoever(not even the master!) and they forbid resample(even on S/PDIF!)...it relies on the 64-bit volume attenuator of foobar, SQ is fantastic
smily_headphones1.gif

but I'm quite sure that if you mess long enough w/ the EWDM GUI, it should work at some point...set it to auto, kill S/PDIF and output 32bit KS from foobar. I've read many ppl saying that it worked on XP.

well, the third op-amp is used to beef up the signal to line-out level....but I use the high gain NJM4580 to drive my cd1k anyway, it sounds flatter/less distorted w/o the 3rd op-amp. I will try to add a LT1361 one of these days, but well I like a flat chill out sound, I'm not looking for an agressive sound AT ALL.

the NJM4580 has made me completely change my mind about it, it's a cheap op-amp but its THD is not too shabby and it's fantastic to drive HP(its primary use?). the bass response sounds so good, nothing any line-out will ever be able to feed HP w/....and w/o the harsh distortion of the STX HP amp as soon as you increase its gain
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 30, 2009 at 7:08 AM Post #74 of 492
Quote:

well, the third op-amp is used to beef up the signal to line-out level....but I use the high gain NJM4580 to drive my cd1k anyway, it sounds flatter/less distorted w/o the 3rd op-amp. I will try to add a LT1361 one of these days, but well I like a flat chill out sound, I'm not looking for an agressive sound AT ALL.

I dont understand. Can you clarify if you use the 4580 as a third opamp or dont use a third opamp at all? Looking forward to hearing your opinion about the 1364/1361 combo or any other 1364 combo.

Btw, got Kernel Streaming to work. Found out that the computer needed a restart to get it to play! Now it seems I can leave the 256 default latency in panel without hearing glitches. Another question is if its an advantage to kill S/PDIF or whats the purpose?

Sep 30, 2009 at 9:25 AM Post #75 of 492
yes, DirectKS does the job. it's the m$ answer to ASIO, and no need to set any latency.

oh well, I'm an op-amp nutcase...I'm currently using the LT1213, and I'd say that I prefer it to the LT1364
biggrin.gif

wider SS, tamer trebles...it sounds more controlled and I loooove a wide SS anyway. I'd say it sounds like a stable LME49720NA w/o the whiney trebles and w/ great bass response.

some Japanese guy said it sounded "cool and HD"...I would concur.

when you use the HP out, it goes through a 70% amp on the JRC4580.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back