AUDIOSENSE in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jul 26, 2019 at 7:44 AM Post #796 of 5,890
That's very true actually.. And yes it does seem to be more of an effect on DD that BAs.. I have an LZ A4 that has always had a silver plated cable, and recently I switched to copper, and I could hear a difference. Same with my Tin 2.
But yes it is subtle, and it seems like you really need some serious hours on an IEM before you notice the changes, and that's why I just don't think a cable makes enough of a difference in this case.
For me anyway.
I think the filters should do a great job rolling the 2k though.

I have the A4s too and always listened to them with copper cables hahaha. I'll try them with silver copper and mixed, just out of curiosity, because my daily phones are NCM NC5v2 and my brain is used to them, not to the A4s.

On the other hand, if cable does not work for you try dampers and EQ (if needed) as other users recommended you :ksc75smile:

Jul 26, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #797 of 5,890
I received the T800 earlier this week and I am not sure about it. I have spent a lot of time recently listening to the Fiio FH7. Coming from that to the T800 I find and T800 has to much base. It tends to dominate the whole listening experience. At first I thought it was just coming from a different IEM. I gave them a few days but think I'm gonna sell on. Made me realise how good FH7 are.. anyone else experience the same?

Jul 26, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #798 of 5,890
I sold the FH7 because the treble was much too much for my tastes. Couldn't run the volume high at all.

HOw much you want for your pair?

Jul 26, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #799 of 5,890
I received the T800 earlier this week and I am not sure about it. I have spent a lot of time recently listening to the Fiio FH7. Coming from that to the T800 I find and T800 has to much base. It tends to dominate the whole listening experience. At first I thought it was just coming from a different IEM. I gave them a few days but think I'm gonna sell on. Made me realise how good FH7 are.. anyone else experience the same?
they sure have bass, it is very rare to have all BA set with such a bass response, i love the bass on T800

Jul 26, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #800 of 5,890
Wow if you tried so many cables with no taming of the 2 - 4 kHz peak, then maybe dampers or tip rolling is the next best option. Or last resort is to EQ.

There’s so many other/better ways to tweak the sound tuning of an earphone; cables would be my absolute dead last choice.

Much more effective methods would be:
- Ear tip rolling
- Knowles filters
- Filter material over the nozzle (micropore, tea bag, desiccate packets, etc)
- Acoustic foam inside nozzle
- Tweaking shell vents
- EQ
- Changing your source
- Op amp rolling
- String mod

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #801 of 5,890
There’s so many other/better ways to tweak the sound tuning of an earphone; cables would be my absolute dead last choice.

Much more effective methods would be:
- Ear tip rolling
- Knowles filters
- Filter material over the nozzle (micropore, tea bag, desiccate packets, etc)
- Acoustic foam inside nozzle
- Tweaking shell vents
- EQ
- Changing your source
- String mod

What is a string mod?

As for filter material, tweaking shell vents and foam stuffing into IEM I find that in general I can't replicate the same sound signature on both sides of the IEMs as there is no objective way to accurately reproduce the same amount of material etc in both sides. Any suggestions for this? Or it is just an estimate when you do these procedures?

Jul 26, 2019 at 10:48 AM Post #802 of 5,890
Coming from s8f to t800, I have to say that these do have the spicier upper mids/treble, possibly because it rises faster and later than s8f. S8f did not bother me so I did not think I would have any issues, but t800 are bordering on sibilant and spilling over in some cases. I might have to get dampers or let them go at some point. Still going through brain burn in, but it does stick out to me.

Jul 26, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #803 of 5,890
What is a string mod?

As for filter material, tweaking shell vents and foam stuffing into IEM I find that in general I can't replicate the same sound signature on both sides of the IEMs as there is no objective way to accurately reproduce the same amount of material etc in both sides. Any suggestions for this? Or it is just an estimate when you do these procedures?

I modded LZ A4 green nozzles several times and the change was pretty consistent. I did little holes with a needle on stock ones (the white filters under the metal grill) to gain some highs and definition, changed material to bag of tea, micropore... Until I was satisfied with the result. It had less impact on lows, but can be pretty dramatic on middles and highs depending on material used.

Anyway, use the way you feel more confident with and be exquisite with your care and try some of the ways @Slater has mentioned.

Coming back to cables, IMO there're no big changes until you try very poor material cable, get one out of phase... or find that cable that tames 'that bit of piercing highs that annoys you so much' (or add a point of body to the bass, that finally sounds more rounded) and you fall finally in love with your new IEMs :ksc75smile: Sometimes little changes do big differences.

EDIT: corrections.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #804 of 5,890
Coming from s8f to t800, I have to say that these do have the spicier upper mids/treble, possibly because it rises faster and later than s8f. S8f did not bother me so I did not think I would have any issues, but t800 are bordering on sibilant and spilling over in some cases. I might have to get dampers or let them go at some point. Still going through brain burn in, but it does stick out to me.

Are you using the stock tips/cables? I had the same issue initially with the treble using the stock configuration. It's best to explore different tips and maybe cables/dampers and other mods as above to hopefully tame the treble.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #805 of 5,890
Are you using the stock tips/cables? I had the same issue initially with the treble using the stock configuration. It's best to explore different tips and maybe cables/dampers and other mods as above to hopefully tame the treble.

I only really use comply/foam tips and my cables are all silver, only difference is balanced or unbalances.

Jul 26, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #806 of 5,890
they sure have bass, it is very rare to have all BA set with such a bass response, i love the bass on T800
Do you not find the bass dominates even acoustic recordings? Maybe it's just not my taste.. the highs seem to high and the bass to strong.. I'm relatively new in this type of thing.. my fav iems so far are oriveti new primacy .. tin hifi p1 and fh7.. I guess they are more balanced?

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #807 of 5,890
Do you not find the base dominates even acoustic recordings? Maybe it's just not my taste.. the highs seem to high and the base to strong.. I'm relatively new in this type of thing.. my fav iems so far are oriveti new primacy .. tin hifi p1 and fh7.. I guess they are more balanced?
the bass is just right for me, i use mostly my pair with dampers in and with that the bass feels like it is even more, i don't mind it because it is a high quality bass, nice and tight, not some sloppy bloated mess, i am probably a bass head though

Jul 26, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #809 of 5,890
Do you not find the bass dominates even acoustic recordings? Maybe it's just not my taste.. the highs seem to high and the bass to strong.. I'm relatively new in this type of thing.. my fav iems so far are oriveti new primacy .. tin hifi p1 and fh7.. I guess they are more balanced?

I'm no basshead and I find other IEMs, especially those with DD bass, have greater quantity of bass than the T800. The T800 is definitely not basshead territory and I don't find the bass encroaches into other frequencies.
Maybe you prefer a more neutral signature, as the T800's bass is north of neutral, so I hope you find something that you personally like, there's no right or wrong as music is subjective.

Jul 26, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #810 of 5,890
What is a string mod?

I always cut my acoustic foam plugs with a hole punch assortment kit (or even a small piece of thin-walled metal tubing that I’ve sharpened the edge like a knife). This guarantees that all plug sizes are 100% identical.

For filters such as tea bags or micropore, which you’re using them to cover up the nozzle it’s the nozzle itself that guarantees the size identical.

As far as the string mod, it’s really for bass and/or balancing the sound signature. Here’s the method:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chinese-asian-brand-iem-info-thread.820747/page-1471#post-14775557

You can use many different thicknesses of string (or even a small piece of electrical wire such as from an old/broken headphone cable or broken earphones.

All the string is doing is creating a vent in the eartip, which reduces excess low end. It’s the same principle as nozzle vents.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back