AUDIOSENSE in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jul 20, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #662 of 5,890
Here are my unbiased impressions for the T800 with Spinfit, 3rd party 99.57% pure silver cable, Galaxy S10+ (short listening session in audio shop).

- The bass sounded exactly like DD bass which I don't like. The speed was noticeably slower than normal BA drivers. The quantity was not enough for me (maybe because of pure silver cable or my preference of BA bass). I think I did not feel that the bass was elevated or forward)
- They are far from neutral. They are quite bright and have very lively signature. So, coherency was not found (at least for me). I think they are brighter than the FH7. Everything will be thrown onto your face.
- Treble was forward but controlled well as I never felt piercing. Treble had good extension.
- Detail pickup was amazing. I heard something new in tracks as small details were being louder.
- Vocals were quite recessed on many tracks but vocals had thickness and were prominent in the stage (without standing in front of other frequencies). I assume this way of tuning can create height while the vocals can still be enjoyable.
- Clarity is good but it is not the main strength of them as I think there are also some other IEMs in the same or slightly above its price range that can provide the same level of clarity.
- Sound stage was the biggest thing that made them unenjoyable for me. It was noticeably narrower than what I am familiar with. But I currently own a set of IEMs that cost 3.5 - 4x more; so I don't blame them (But I expected them to be wider than that.)

I don't believe that these are a giant killer. But they are 100% a step up from those IEMs in sub $300 and they provide excellent value for $300 spent. I believe this is one of the best choices you can get in this price range. (Personally, the T800 is best value for me for $300 or even $450, along with TinHiFi P1). They are a good alternative to the slightly-higher-priced FH7, DM7 and so on with the same level on sound quality. (I never heard the A8, sorry.)

If these are the most expensive IEMs you have ever bought, I am sure you made the right decision!

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #663 of 5,890
Here are my unbiased impressions for the T800 with Spinfit, 3rd party 99.57% pure silver cable, Galaxy S10+ (short listening session in audio shop).

- The bass sounded exactly like DD bass which I don't like. The speed was noticeably slower than normal BA drivers. The quantity was not enough for me (maybe because of pure silver cable or my preference of BA bass). I think I did not feel that the bass was elevated or forward)
- They are far from neutral. They are quite bright and have very lively signature. So, coherency was not found (at least for me). I think they are brighter than the FH7. Everything will be thrown onto your face.
- Treble was forward but controlled well as I never felt piercing. Treble had good extension.
- Detail pickup was amazing. I heard something new in tracks as small details were being louder.
- Vocals were quite recessed on many tracks but vocals had thickness and were prominent in the stage (without standing in front of other frequencies). I assume this way of tuning can create height while the vocals can still be enjoyable.
- Clarity is good but it is not the main strength of them as I think there are also some other IEMs in the same or slightly above its price range that can provide the same level of clarity.
- Sound stage was the biggest thing that made them unenjoyable for me. It was noticeably narrower than what I am familiar with. But I currently own a set of IEMs that cost 3.5 - 4x more; so I don't blame them (But I expected them to be wider than that.)

I don't believe that these are a giant killer. But they are 100% a step up from those IEMs in sub $300 and they provide excellent value for $300 spent. I believe this is one of the best choices you can get in this price range. (Personally, the T800 is best value for me for $300 or even $450, along with TinHiFi P1). They are a good alternative to the slightly-higher-priced FH7, DM7 and so on with the same level on sound quality. (I never heard the A8, sorry.)

If these are the most expensive IEMs you have ever bought, I am sure you made the right decision!

Thanks for your impressions. Since the Sony M9 is your usual driver, i expected that the T800 won't be able to match a TOTL IEM like it.
But thanks for comparing it to the DM7 and FH7 (those are more of an even playing field for the price range of the T800).

Jul 20, 2019 at 11:03 AM Post #664 of 5,890

Do try to demo it with your ibasso dc-01 at least. S10+ do not have enough driving power for T800 to make it sing. Pairing it with a pure silver cable will definitely make it bright. You can try pairing it with a copper cable.
From my memory, the soundstage difference of T800 and M9 isnt that huge. Ymmv.

Jul 20, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #665 of 5,890
Do try to demo it with your ibasso dc-01 at least. S10+ do not have enough driving power for T800 to make it sing. Pairing it with a pure silver cable will definitely make it bright. You can try pairing it with a copper cable.

Yeah I know I should have done that. Unfortunately, my DC01 doesn't work with my S10+. Anyway, I was comparing the width of both from my S10+. Today I also had a chance to demo the QDC Anole VX with my S10+ and the sound stage was around 30% wider than my M9 (to the point that the Anole VX could create oval sound stage right out of my S10+).

I may try them balanced next time. So, I will keep checking this thread. I am so tempted to buy one for travelling or gym use since the price is so attractive (for its sound quality). The fit is really good. Completely got (adhered) into my ears with ease and blocked all noise in the surrounding.

Jul 20, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #666 of 5,890
Yeah I know I should have done that. Unfortunately, my DC01 doesn't work with my S10+. Anyway, I was comparing the width of both from my S10+. Today I also had a chance to demo the QDC Anole VX with my S10+ and the sound stage was around 30% wider than my M9 (to the point that the Anole VX could create oval sound stage right out of my S10+).

I may try them balanced next time. So, I will keep checking this thread. I am so tempted to buy one for travelling or gym use since the price is so attractive (for its sound quality). The fit is really good. Completely got (adhered) into my ears with ease and blocked all noise in the surrounding.

weird. I am using my DC01 with my s10+ work perfectly for me.
I am using spotify thou. I think you can also check out the uapp app at the portable source gear thread.

Jul 20, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #667 of 5,890

good review. so jealous that you can go to a store and listen to everything. would save me so much money. lol

Jul 20, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #668 of 5,890
my s8+ drives it good whit same sq dynamics as my es 100 and sxfi

Jul 20, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #669 of 5,890
my s8+ drives it good whit same sq dynamics as my es 100 and sxfi

Can you make them blast at 50-70% volume with the s8+ ?

Jul 20, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #671 of 5,890
Can you make them blast at 50-70% volume with the s8+ ?
no i have to go 90 to get my usally volume but ism a very loud listener. whit my amps i would not go higher. did you enable dolby atmos on yoir s10+ that gives you extra a few db.

Jul 20, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #672 of 5,890
no i have to go 90 to get my usally volume but ism a very loud listener. whit my amps i would not go higher. did you enable dolby atmos on yoir s10+ that gives you extra a few db.

I have the s9+ and I don't like those dsp things.
I don't listen that loud but I listen to a lot of quiet classical tracks

Jul 20, 2019 at 3:05 PM Post #673 of 5,890
I have the s9+ and I don't like those dsp things.
I don't listen that loud but I listen to a lot of quiet classical tracks
i love the dolby atmos function it reconizes automaticly that you are listening to music and gives it a lot of power dynamics and soul... it eqs automaticly to a light vshape whit out thaz dsp suround sound. but it changes to surround when you are watching videos

Jul 20, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #674 of 5,890
You know it's strange because I usually find a boosted 6k-7k area quite harsh as well.
Yet for some weird reason the ToneKing T4 isn't sibilant at all.
Really my big fear with the T800 is that 3.5k bump will be way beyond my tolerances.
According to the graphs I've seen it's like 13db higher than the mids...
13db? Ouch!!
I guess I'll have to EQ it out, but can I pull it down enough without screwing with the signature too much??
Because I'm thinking at least -8db.

Early this year I purchased Toneking T4 from a friend, and that peak above 6 Khz made for a harsh treble, sometimes inducing me headaches; so not so much joy for me with T4. After a while, I gave up and decided to place it for sale, to help to finance a new IEM. Well, fortunately, inspired by audioreview.org´s modding 101 tips, a few days back decided to try to tame the beast by covering the nozzles with a piece of tea bag I had at hand.
Voila!!! I am so glad I did try it, that simple mod works for my ears, no more harsh treble, and now I can enjoy the fantastic clear midrange and a very linear and smooth transition from midrange to upper lows rendered by Toneking T4.

Switching from BGVP Dm6 to T4 feels like lifting a veil, showing a very transparent midrange, with fantastic vocals presentation.

Puzzled by Hawaiibadboy´s review on Toneking T4, I recently listened to some Led Zeppelin tracks (Kashmir, Over The Hills And Far Away, How Many More Times, Stairway To Heaven, etc.) and Robert Plant´s voice sounds upfront and crystal clear on T4, much more so than in DM6. Even tried some female vocals (London Grammar, Alison Moyet, St. Vincent, etc,) and all sound wonderful.
Either my T4 was tuned differently to Badboy´s or they belong to different versions.

The soundstage on T4 is intimate but the sound is so engaging that I really don’t care about soundstage on this set. Nevertheless, ambiance and reverberation info varies greatly from every recording.
Ah, bass on T4 is present when called upon, and the only thing I miss is the bass extension to the lowest octave from 20 to 40 Hz.

If T800 has a midrange as transparent as T4´s, bigger soundstage, and more powerful and extended bass, then T800 will be my next purchase. But no matter what, T4 is a keeper for me; more so than DM6

Sorry for sidetracking this fabulous thread, having so much fun reading about T800 and Sony M7, the 2 IEMs currently on my radar.
Exciting times in this Chifi world.

Jul 20, 2019 at 5:22 PM Post #675 of 5,890
Puzzled by Hawaiibadboy´s review on Toneking T4, I recently listened to some Led Zeppelin tracks (Kashmir, Over The Hills And Far Away, How Many More Times, Stairway To Heaven, etc.) and Robert Plant´s voice sounds upfront and crystal clear on T4, much more so than in DM6. Even tried some female vocals (London Grammar, Alison Moyet, St. Vincent, etc,) and all sound wonderful.

Either my T4 was tuned differently to Badboy´s or they belong to different versions.

Maybe the difference came from the source he was using (vs you)?

Sources do have an effect on the sound, some are warmer than others, some dry, etc. Also, some sources are more powerful than others, have balanced vs not, and also have varying degrees of output impedance (which can have a large effect on an earphone, especially if it has BAs).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back