AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Dec 4, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #4,876 of 10,196
You really can't beat the $350 price tag the nighthawks are selling for.. Reading a few posts some people that demoed the night owl liked the nightowl however some said they preferred the nighthawk, I hope that the treble boost as some that heard the owls doesn't make the cause fatigue. The nighthawk in my opinion is a very hard headphone to beat at the moment with its price performance ratio, I love them.

Dec 4, 2016 at 2:59 AM Post #4,877 of 10,196
Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ................."What Rchandra said"
You really can't beat the $350 price tag the nighthawks are selling for.. Reading a few posts some people that demoed the night owl liked the nightowl however some said they preferred the nighthawk, I hope that the treble boost as some that heard the owls doesn't make the cause fatigue. The nighthawk in my opinion is a very hard headphone to beat at the moment with its price performance ratio, I love them.

Dec 4, 2016 at 3:02 AM Post #4,879 of 10,196
Well... Would you happen to have family here in the States? Heck come visit and have you some pop eyes chicken,, I'm sure you can actually have a pair shipped from the us to ger.. I just wonder how much customs would charge... Yikes.. Where there's a will there's a way!!

Dec 4, 2016 at 4:54 AM Post #4,881 of 10,196
Makes no sense getting from US, would end up easily 430€+ with all fees. I got mine 299€ from local Black Friday deal and it's 449€ currently anyway, so that should tell something about margins.. Audioquest is sold by classic hifi distributor model, so forget internet prices and try walking into a local store for actual prices, I always get atleast 15% off.

Dec 4, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #4,883 of 10,196
Am I a bad person if I wear them on the airplane?

I actually have a question about this very thing. I'm heading the UK (12 hour flight) in a couple of weeks and will of course be taking the 'hawks. But do I keep them in carry on or box them up and put them in luggage? Is there any danger of them getting damaged by temperature and pressure in either hold or cabin? I wasn't expecting to use them on the plane, due the low isolation and the high noise of the plane environment - do they actually isolate well enough for a plane? (I'm talking about letting sound in, rather than leaking it out)

Dec 4, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #4,884 of 10,196

I actually have a question about this very thing. I'm heading the UK (12 hour flight) in a couple of weeks and will of course be taking the 'hawks. But do I keep them in carry on or box them up and put them in luggage? Is there any danger of them getting damaged by temperature and pressure in either hold or cabin? I wasn't expecting to use them on the plane, due the low isolation and the high noise of the plane environment - do they actually isolate well enough for a plane? (I'm talking about letting sound in, rather than leaking it out)

Please keep them in the carrying case! Don't worry about the pressure and temperature, but if they are banging around in your baggage outside of the case, I can almost guarantee they will be damaged.

Remember, they are made from wood, and not unlike—let's say—a fine musical instrument such as a violin, they are susceptible to impact damage if mishandled.
[fun fact: I modeled the carrying case after violin cases]

As far as NightHawk usage during a flight...I have done so many times. The noise isolation (both ways in and out) with NH is much greater than typical open-back 'phones. In fact, NH noise isolation is on par with or greater than some closed-back headphones. So far I haven't received any complaints from neighbors, but you might pre-warn your row mates to alert you if they can hear your tunes.

The isolation is good enough that you can expect about 15 to 20 dB reduction of cabin noise above 1kHz. If you need LF reduction, then active noise cancelling is the only way.
Regardless, they work surprisingly well during flight. The only detriment is that they are physically large; after all, they were designed more for desktop use.

Dec 5, 2016 at 1:46 AM Post #4,886 of 10,196

I wore them and I think that the ambient noise of the airplane itself made it so others didn't even notice.  The external noise did, however, remove a sense of "hi-fi" to the experience.  You lose a great deal of detail.   That being said, I'll be wearing them on the way home.  These are a fun set of headphones!

Dec 5, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #4,887 of 10,196
Please keep them in the carrying case! Don't worry about the pressure and temperature, but if they are banging around in your baggage outside of the case, I can almost guarantee they will be damaged.

Remember, they are made from wood, and not unlike—let's say—a fine musical instrument such as a violin, they are susceptible to impact damage if mishandled.
[fun fact: I modeled the carrying case after violin cases]

As far as NightHawk usage during a flight...I have done so many times. The noise isolation (both ways in and out) with NH is much greater than typical open-back 'phones. In fact, NH noise isolation is on par with or greater than some closed-back headphones. So far I haven't received any complaints from neighbors, but you might pre-warn your row mates to alert you if they can hear your tunes.

The isolation is good enough that you can expect about 15 to 20 dB reduction of cabin noise above 1kHz. If you need LF reduction, then active noise cancelling is the only way.
Regardless, they work surprisingly well during flight. The only detriment is that they are physically large; after all, they were designed more for desktop use.

ANC Nightowls as a project for 2017, or are you saving the extreme isolation for your IEM project? :wink: The owl is a silent bird of prey, after all...

Dec 5, 2016 at 6:50 AM Post #4,889 of 10,196
Are the thicker cables supposed to make the nighthawk sound better then the skinny cables anyone have thoughts on the two cables the hawks come with?

Leaflets in the box basically say the thicker cable sounds better, but the thin cable is more durable. I can confirm this.

Dec 5, 2016 at 7:02 AM Post #4,890 of 10,196
Leaflets in the box basically say the thicker cable sounds better, but the thin cable is more durable. I can confirm this.

betula hi, I remember you from X2 thread. 
smile.gif
 I remember you had TH-X00 as well. Which one do you prefer for EDM? I'm kind of between TH-610/Emu Teak, Nighthawk/Owl, BW P7W...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back