AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 22, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #5,851 of 10,196
Anybody using the Nighthawk with a Chord Mojo? How well do they pair? Headfonia says its a terrible match thats why i ask :xf_eek:

I agree with x RELIC x. NH + Mojo is good, but (as with almost everything in this hobby), it's ultimately a matter of personal taste. If you enjoy a smoother, more immersing listen I think you'll enjoy the pairing. If you're looking for something more energetic and engaging, consider a different pairing.

Jan 22, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #5,852 of 10,196
I agree with @x RELIC x. NH + Mojo is good, but (as with almost everything in this hobby), it's ultimately a matter of personal taste. If you enjoy a smoother, more immersing listen I think you'll enjoy the pairing. If you're looking for something more energetic and engaging, consider a different pairing.

How much of the cost of the Mojo would you say is attributed to its portability?

Do you, or anyone for that matter, happen to know a desktop-strict solution that is at least as resolving as the Mojo but for less money? 

Jan 22, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #5,855 of 10,196
How much of the cost of the Mojo would you say is attributed to its portability?

Do you, or anyone for that matter, happen to know a desktop-strict solution that is at least as resolving as the Mojo but for less money

That's a big question that many will debate, sonically, and not really appropriate in the Nighthawk thread (specifically comparing different component gear). Technically, measurement wise, the answer is no.

I'm a huge fan of the Mojo because of it's high price/performance ratio. The measurements are far better than most very expensive DACs and I find the SQ to be very good compared to other typical desktop DAC solutions, even much more expensive ones that use typical 'off the shelf' hardware. I don't think you'll find a better solution, technically, for less than 3x the cost and above, IMO, certainly not at a lower price point. I suggest you head over to read the third post of the Mojo thread - Link - (especially the section titled 'Detailed & in-depth Information on Mojo, by Rob Watts (Mojos designer)') to understand the technical reasons why the Mojo is different than other DACs. It's A LOT of information.

The warmth and smoothness is actually down to a lack of noise floor modulation, which has been shown to spice up the sound that is typically heard in DS DACs making them seem brighter and more detailed, but it isn't more detail. The same smoothness is found in Chord's DAVE (which I also own) but the DAVE has even more resolution and even better timing than the Mojo due to the better WTA filter and more Pulse Array elements (the actual DAC part of Chord's DACs).

The elephant in the room is whether you will prefer certain gear and the synergy with that gear. An audition will be the only way for you to answer that question. :)

Jan 22, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #5,856 of 10,196
  Sony MDR-Z1R vs Audioquest Nighthawk video

I'd like for Skylar to work on a summit-fi headphone that is a direct successor to the Nighthawk. Something that is as musical and natural as the HD800 is analytical and technical (never heard it mind you). I feel the NH justifies it's MSRP of $599, and I'd like for this successor to justify, say, a $1500 price tag? I'd save up for it. 

Jan 22, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #5,857 of 10,196
I'd like for Skylar to work on a summit-fi headphone that is a direct successor to the Nighthawk. Something that is as musical and natural as the HD800 is analytical and technical (never heard it mind you). I feel the NH justifies it's MSRP of $599, and I'd like for this successor to justify, say, a $1500 price tag? I'd save up for it. 

Me too but $1000 max.

Jan 22, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #5,858 of 10,196
For distortion and flat impedance across the frequency spectrum I feel like I stole the Nighthawk for the price I paid when they were deeply discounted. Definitely a world class performer in the technical aspect. Frequency tuning is a personal choice though and each owner will pay what they are willing to pay based on this.

Jan 22, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #5,859 of 10,196
Me too but $1000 max.

Eh, I'd take living on noodles for a few more months if it meant a better headphone in the end. :wink:

The only real thing I want to see improved is openness to escape the slightly boxy sound that the NH currently has. 

I suspect that'd require a fully open back design and I don't fully believe if it's possible to retain all other aspects of the NH sound with an open back design.

Maybe all it takes is to make the soundstage wider. The NightOwl is reported to sound wider but I wonder if it still sounds boxy.

Jan 22, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #5,860 of 10,196
  Eh, I'd take living on noodles for a few more months if it meant a better headphone in the end. :wink:

The only real thing I want to see improved is openness to escape the slightly boxy sound that the NH currently has. 

I suspect that'd require a fully open back design and I don't fully believe if it's possible to retain all other aspects of the NH sound with an open back design.

Maybe all it takes is to make the soundstage wider. The NightOwl is reported to sound wider but I wonder if it still sounds boxy.

Which pads have you tried? I have the Classics and the US. The US don't seem to me to sound boxy... OTOH they loose some neat dimensionality.

Jan 23, 2017 at 1:49 AM Post #5,863 of 10,196
@EdwardPL and you are WAY better at describing headphone (and pad) sonics then what I can do at this point down the headphone learning curve. 

I'd say detail........... but might get flamed. I found more apparent or perceived detail with the boost pads than the OEM (standards?) pads and a bit more so with the US.

I also found a another level of detail when using the Oppo HA-2SE DAC / amp with the NH.Combined they have made the NH a true joy.............for me at least!

Jan 23, 2017 at 1:56 AM Post #5,864 of 10,196
  @EdwardPL and you are WAY better at describing headphone (and pad) sonics then what I can do at this point down the headphone learning curve. 

I'd say detail........... but might get flamed. I found more apparent or perceived detail with the boost pads than the OEM (standards?) pads and a bit more so with the US.

I also found a another level of detail when using the Oppo HA-2SE DAC / amp with the NH.Combined they have made the NH a true joy.............for me at least!

That all makes sense to me. I would say the Classics, even though slightly rolled off, have the best soundstage and instrument definition... A sort of 3D quality. Boost increase intensity. US sound the closest to the reference SS of the PMx2s. Like you, I could live with any of them. HA-2SE is a great DAC/Amp.

Jan 23, 2017 at 1:59 AM Post #5,865 of 10,196
  That all makes sense to me. I would say the Classics, even though slightly rolled off, have the best soundstage and instrument definition... A sort of 3D quality. Boost increase intensity. US sound the closest to the reference SS of the PMx2s. Like you, I could live with any of them. HA-2SE is a great DAC/Amp.

The Oppo HA-2SE amp was one of the best $300 I have spent in audio! I was a little worried about the Sabre DAC, and perhaps too much detail, but it has been everything I hoped it would be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back