AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 3, 2017 at 1:13 AM Post #5,251 of 10,196

One negative thing is that out of two cables, the thin cable is malfunctioning. Right side channel is not playing. I initially thought that it may be driver issue but it works fine with thicker cable so it is thinner cable issue..
frown.gif

So many post regarding cable issues of the "highend" cable (confirmed by my dealer), a malfunctioning adapter also came with my Carbon, now a report of a malfunction with the thin cable ... I'm sorry but I cannot understand these repeated quality issues
frown.gif

Contacted customer support and hope that they send replacement backup cable (thin cable). First impression is that the bass quantity is surprisingly big. It complete with Fidelio X1 that I had and got rid of recently. Like the bass quite a lot. I was afraid that the treble may be rolled off severely but it was not the case. It is not extending extremely far but adequate enough to enjoy the high.. The main issue is the mid for me. It is congested and muddy...  Hope recommended 150 hours burn-in clears the mid. Then I would be very happy with SQ of NH.. :)  

Jan 3, 2017 at 1:50 AM Post #5,252 of 10,196

So many post regarding cable issues of the "highend" cable (confirmed by my dealer), a malfunctioning adapter also came with my Carbon, now a report of a malfunction with the thin cable ... I'm sorry but I cannot understand these repeated quality issues
frown.gif

Hmmm ...

So other than some cable (and an adapter in your case) issues, are you enjoying the sound of your NH?

Have you tried both pad options?

Jan 3, 2017 at 2:51 AM Post #5,253 of 10,196

So many post regarding cable issues of the "highend" cable (confirmed by my dealer), a malfunctioning adapter also came with my Carbon, now a report of a malfunction with the thin cable ... I'm sorry but I cannot understand these repeated quality issues :frowning2:

Hmmm ...

So other than some cable (and an adapter in your case) issues, are you enjoying the sound of your NH?

Too early to tell. I am still burning it in and it has only been 9 hrs so far against target 150 hours..

Jan 3, 2017 at 3:51 AM Post #5,254 of 10,196

Hahah, you want to hear more the positive things, don't you? I can understand that ... but when a company is so massively promoting the quality of their high price products, I can expect that malfunctions are only happening in VERY rare cases. But this expectation seems to be a false one.

Back to your question: YES, I enjoy the sound very much as well as the comfort. I did not try the velours pads up to now because I like the pleather pads so much. The only thing I did was creating some different settings with the Equalizer APO software when using the Carbon with music coming from my computer while working at my desk. Meanwhile I have four different settings (some for boosting really poor music material) but mostly using only one specific setting for most of the music I hear.
When I hear with my Accuphase amp I'm absolutely satisfied when it's running in neutral setting.

Sound of the Carbon is fine for me, I really like it, but ... you know ... I'm a person who likes to receive a corresponding countervalue for the money I spend, and that (of course) includes the built quality of ALL associated parts of an expensive product.

Jan 3, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #5,255 of 10,196
I wouldn't worry about "Burning" them in. I've had three Nighthawks together, 2 fresh out the box and one since release and there's no difference between the sound. Because the NH is a warm, bassy headphone after a while it can seem like your brain gets used to the bass and you start hearing more of what it has to offer. I also own the HD800 and when I switch to the 800's then back to the NH after a few hours my mind has to readjust again as they can sound overly warm. 

One thing that hardly anyone seems to mention is the NH's ability to extract micro detail. I've owned the Flows open, LCD-3's, LCD-2's, Elears and many more. The NH highlights micro detail better than all of them apart from the Elear which I would say is on par. I also fidn the NH's just more dynamic sounding than most of them.

The NH also scales pretty well. The Jot seems to be a good match but I'm more of a Tube guy and prefer how the Vali 2 and Lyr 2 handles treble. 

Jan 3, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #5,256 of 10,196
^^ You'll find a few users here who would disagree regarding burn in with the NH, myself included. Do some research on biocellulous drivers and rubber surrounds. You might decide to alter your opinion. If not, no worries. 
wink.gif

Jan 3, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #5,257 of 10,196
People will believe what they want to believe but my ears tell me differently. There's no measurable proof of significant changes regardless of driver type. I believe it's all in people's heads.

Jan 3, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #5,258 of 10,196
  ^^ You'll find a few users here who would disagree regarding burn in with the NH, myself included. Do some research on biocellulous drivers and rubber surrounds. You might decide to alter your opinion. If not, no worries. 
wink.gif

To offer a different perspective, I purchased my Nighthawks second hand and the previous owner told me that he'd used them for around 200 hours. My initial impressions of this already "burnt-in" pair were similar to a lot of people here (bloomy midbass and recessed highs), but after listening to them for an hour or so my brain adjusted and I began to really enjoy the sound signature.

If there's any research (other than Tyll's measurements) on driver burn-in then I'd be happy to take a read, as I firmly believe it's all a placebo.

Jan 3, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #5,259 of 10,196
I have now reached well beyond 150 hours with my Night Owl headphones. I love both of these ear goggles.
The NO are different in the way one would expect...closed back and semi-sealed...sound stage is a little less wide and deep but very nicely focused...the highs are precise and clear now with no glassy edges, lots of detail and the mids are nigh on to perfect to my ears, no bump. The bass has no blousiness and, although a little less prominent than that of the NH's, still is so super focused and reveals movement in the deep  bass clef as in solos by Christian McBride and other fine bass players. At the same time it seems to allow those precious highs to be more thoroughly revealed than they are in the case of the NH.
Again my vocabulary fails me when trying to describe sound. Both are are first class headphones and are well worth the dollars spent. Somewhere someone said they thought that the NO's sound like a $2000 piece of gear. To me they both sound like they should be a higher price. Iwill now commit the most heinous of crimes....I like both of them more than any of the Sennheiser upper echelon including the much vaunted 800's. I have not heard the 800S so I can't comment on it. 
There! I said it! and I will go one step further...I think some of the pro reviewers feel the same but dare not say so for fear of losing some business. They cover it by saying something like...I really like the NH's but I don't know really why. I only know they did something remarkable. And I think some say nothing at all for the same reason. 
These are both remarkable listening instruments and I further believe Skylar Gray deserves far more praise for his creations than he is getting. A shame! I will say it though...super work Skylar! Your headphones have lit up the life of this 8 decade old dude. Thank you so much.

P.S. But I hate the cable on the NH and the new cable n the NO is about a meter too short! :wink: 

Jan 3, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #5,260 of 10,196
   Iwill now commit the most heinous of crimes....I like both of them more than any of the Sennheiser upper echelon including the much vaunted 800's. I have not heard the 800S so I can't comment on it. 
There! I said it! and I will go one step further...I think some of the pro reviewers feel the same but dare not say so for fear of losing some business. They cover it by saying something like...I really like the NH's but I don't know really why. I only know they did something remarkable. And I think some say nothing at all for the same reason. 

I would be your partner in crime....if I had to choose between the two (NH or HD800)...I would go with the NH.  If it weren't for Sonarworks...the 800's would be gone.
The NightOwl is on the radar eventually.  I have 2 NightHawks.

Bern

P.S.  This would go for the HD600 as well.

Jan 3, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #5,261 of 10,196
  I would be your partner in crime....if I had to choose between the two (NH or HD800)...I would go with the NH.  If it weren't for Sonarworks...the 800's would be gone.
The NightOwl is on the radar eventually.  I have 2 NightHawks.

Bern

P.S.  This would go for the HD600 as well.

Howdy partner! Yes, that includes the 600 too! I think Skylar's creations are among the very best!

Leo

Jan 3, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #5,263 of 10,196
...I think some of the pro reviewers feel the same but dare not say so for fear of losing some business. They cover it by saying something like...I really like the NH's but I don't know really why. I only know they did something remarkable. And I think some say nothing at all for the same reason....

Haha, I've had that same feeling for the longest time. It's why, after hearing the NHs for myself, I resolved to put far less stock in the reviews of others (pro or not). Like you, I actually feel like Skylar out-did himself with these. I imagine he was aiming for the best when creating these but I often wonder if he himself was even more surprised by how good the final product turned out to be. Like an "Oh sh*#" moment
biggrin.gif
. I really can't applaud him enough for these. Maybe @SkylarGray can abate my curiosity. Did these surpass your high expectations, as designer?

Side question for you @leomitch: Do the NO's have the same vanilla-ish scent that the NHs do? My NHs still have that pleasant vanilla scent after almost a year and I hope they never lose it!

Jan 3, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #5,265 of 10,196
I've been looking at new headphones to come off of my HD 598s. I got a Schiit Asgard 2 and Bifrost Uber DAC.

These ones caught my eyes the most out of everything else in the price range since I'd like a better bottom end on my headphones. I tend to like open back for the sound stage mostly and I love it on my 598, but the reviews I've read no one's really commented on what the sound stage on these is like. I assume they're not going to be as wide but is it at least very distinguishable? Slightly distinguishable?

My music taste probably won't be of much help to determine of these are right for me. I go from Pink Floyd to Van Halen to Poets of the Fall to Katie Melua to Blackmill to Vader and then back to Beach Boys. I listen to everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back