AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Nov 3, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #4,021 of 10,196
Is the connector at the headphone end a 2.5mm plug?  Is it the same as the one used on the HEK, Oppo PM1 & PM2, HD700?

Nov 3, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #4,024 of 10,196

I don't see any reason to. Compared to Nighthawk's I hate those. 

How come? What do you not like about them? I'm not a huge fan of them either, just curious why you hate them compared to the Nighthawk.

Really cheap build quality and highs still a bit too harsh for me. 

Nov 3, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #4,025 of 10,196

Really cheap build quality and highs still a bit too harsh for me. 

I don't find the build quality too bad. But I do find them a bit on the grainy side, though I do find the Senns to scale up nicely. You would think the highs would be less harsh based on what people say but honestly I find my Nighthawks, DT 1990, and DT 1770 notably less fatiguing than the HD 650. The Hawks don't have the least fatiguing highs I've heard but are definitely up there.

Nov 3, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #4,026 of 10,196
  Any reason to get sucked into a new HD-650 for $199 (in the form of the Massdrop HD-6XX) when I have (and love) the Nighthawks and am limited in open backed (aka non-isolating) listening time?

It comes down to one question: do you think the Hawks are too bassy and treble-shy? If yes, try the 6xx. If not, there's nothing they'll offer you. I'm also not convinced they truly are the 650 under a different name. Usually these things are basically bargain bin versions of the Real McCoy. The K7xx is certainly not the K712 Pro, nor is the HE-350 the HE-400. They're close, but basically feel like the main thing made out of cheaper materials.

Nov 3, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #4,027 of 10,196

It comes down to one question: do you think the Hawks are too bassy and treble-shy? If yes, try the 6xx. If not, there's nothing they'll offer you. I'm also not convinced they truly are the 650 under a different name. Usually these things are basically bargain bin versions of the Real McCoy. The K7xx is certainly not the K712 Pro, nor is the HE-350 the HE-400. They're close, but basically feel like the main thing made out of cheaper materials.

That's what I'm worried about too, it not really being the same thing. I actually was really disappointed with the K7XX, the K712 was built much better and sounded notably better to my ears. 

Nov 3, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #4,028 of 10,196
  That's what I'm worried about too, it not really being the same thing. I actually was really disappointed with the K7XX, the K712 was built much better and sounded notably better to my ears. 

I'll agree with most that the 650 shouldn't retail at $499 these days, but I do not believe by any stretch that MassDrop can make a run of them for $200 that will be built as well or sound as good as the originals.

My prediction is they'll have the same frequency curve, similar acoustics, but won't sound as clean and the build will seem flimsy by comparison. They'll be damn good for $200, but won't at all replace the originals.

Nov 3, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #4,029 of 10,196
  I'll agree with most that the 650 shouldn't retail at $499 these days, but I do not believe by any stretch that MassDrop can make a run of them for $200 that will be built as well or sound as good as the originals.

My prediction is they'll have the same frequency curve, similar acoustics, but won't sound as clean and the build will seem flimsy by comparison. They'll be damn good for $200, but won't at all replace the originals.

No it shouldn't and luckily it doesn't. Well the only hope is that it's actually made in Ireland like the HD 600/650, so it could be the same quality. What I'm mostly worried about is the driver quality control won't be up to the same standards, it would likely be cheaper to just reuse the HD 600/650 materials honestly which it likely does with a different paint job so build will likely be the same, though it seems to use the matte earcup plastic of the HD 600 not the glossy earcup plastic of the HD 650. The K7XX was made in China while my K712 was made in Austria, and the quality difference was obvious.

Nov 3, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #4,030 of 10,196

Fwiw, Jude seems to imply that they are pretty much the same beasts.

Nov 3, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #4,031 of 10,196
Here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/824703/sennheiser-x-massdrop-hd6xx-review-preview-head-fi-tv/0_30#post_12981408

Nov 3, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #4,032 of 10,196
Fwiw, Jude seems to imply that they are pretty much the same beasts.

Jude never seems to say anything bad about anything, in fairness. Any statement he gives is more of a promo blurb than an honest appraisal. No offense to the man. 

Nov 3, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #4,033 of 10,196
  Jude never seems to say anything bad about anything, in fairness. Any statement he gives is more of a promo blurb than an honest appraisal. No offense to the man. 

Agreed.

Nov 3, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #4,034 of 10,196
Any reason to get sucked into a new HD-650 for $199 (in the form of the Massdrop HD-6XX) when I have (and love) the Nighthawks and am limited in open backed (aka non-isolating) listening time?

I had the same question but think I've been convinced not to blow my money on HD6XX. Thanks for saving me some cash!!!

Nov 3, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #4,035 of 10,196

Lol! That may be true. But in that video he sure seemed to go out of the way to imply that they are pretty much the same thing.

Anyway, I've never felt that I need "better" cans than the Nighthawks, so I'd be better off putting that $199 towards a higher end desktop dac/amp, such as the Jot etc. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back