AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Sep 5, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #226 of 10,196
Me three! They were great right from the get go, but they improved subtly as time went on. I find no muddiness anywhere in their spectrum. I have been hearing these from many fine people here, so I have been looking, but to no avail. For me the NH's are the pinnacle of headphones and my Shure 1840's which are no slouches, complement their new cousins the Nighthawks.
I have just finished listening to the Berlin Philharmonic play Berg's Violin Concerto and the Shoshtakovitch  8th Symphony and I am still mopping up the tears I shed over the beauty of these and the wonderful reproduction by Skylar's babies! I am in love!

Leo

They are definitely incredible with classical music.

Sep 5, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #227 of 10,196
I feel the same way having owned many high end phones, I think these are endgame for me! I haven't been looking for any other headphones for the past few weeks because of these, and my grado's compliment them nicely, so I have nothing left to look for. Speakers maybe?

I feel the same myself, I can't even listen to my other headphones anymore, even ones that I thought would compliment them. I'm heavily considering selling off my other headphones.

Sep 5, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #228 of 10,196
Over the past 3 years I've picked up the bad habbit of buying and selling headphones nonstop and these headphones have eased down the urge to listen to anything else which is not what I thought would happen until I hit the 2000$ dollar range. I have been happy with many past headphones, specifically the custom tuned zmf vibro and fad hope iv, but neither of those were perfect for my tastes. For me personally, the nighthawk is as close to perfect as I will get without breaking the bank.

Sep 5, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #230 of 10,196
I have the HE 500 but haven't listened to it for awhile because the cabling bothers me.(tangles too easily) I'm about to get on a 12 hour flight so I'll compare when I get home. 

Off hand though they're very similar because both are very smooth but I'd say the HE500 has a bit more high end than the Nighthawk, while the Nighthawk feels a bit warmer, but also more balanced. 

Sep 5, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #231 of 10,196
  Balanced Nighthawk cable ready for my Cavalli Liquid Carbon... whenever that arrives.

Where did you get that cable?

Sep 5, 2015 at 11:22 PM Post #233 of 10,196
Sep 6, 2015 at 7:40 AM Post #235 of 10,196
For those looking for balanced NightHawk cables, I contacted AudioQuest and they wanted $75 to reterminate my existing NightHawk cable for balanced. Instead, I got a Norne Audio hypershort Audeze to HD700/PM1/PM2 adapter (same 2.5mm as the NightHawk), and now I can use my balanced Audeze cables with the NightHawk.

I think AQ dropped the ball a bit in not offering a balanced cable from the outset. I mean they're a cable company, and I would think the early adopters are probably enthusiasts most likely to have balanced rigs. I hope they start offering NightHawk accessories (like cables, perhaps pads, etc.) sooner rather than later.

Sep 6, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #237 of 10,196

Thankfully, they gave us one of the best headphones on the planet, ever!!  
beyersmile.png

Leo 

Sep 6, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #238 of 10,196
  I feel the same myself, I can't even listen to my other headphones anymore, even ones that I thought would compliment them. I'm heavily considering selling off my other headphones.

The Nighthawks have me seriously considering selling off all my other home gear and putting that money into a better source and amp for them.

Sep 6, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #240 of 10,196
I have never seen such a divide between fans and critics of this headphone. I'd love to hear one someday!

I was also somewhat skeptical considering the wide diversity between those who posted impressions, but after listening to the Nighthawks almost continuously since they arrived, I can say that they could well be my headphone endgame. They are VERY addictive!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back