AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Apr 23, 2016 at 8:40 PM Post #2,286 of 2,514
Tried out the Red today at a local headphone shop. Paired with the Shure se846 and streaming through Tidal, the subbass hits less harder compared to iPhone 6+. Soundstage is the same as the iPhone 6+, and hissing is minimal. Overall, the iPhone 6 really stands on its own, and the purchase was not justified to me. YMMV. My 2 cents.

Apr 23, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #2,287 of 2,514
Could you elaborate on what song(s) you were listening to? Also did you happen to try the Black? I already ordered a Red from Amazon so I'm itching for any impressions I can get.

Apr 23, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #2,288 of 2,514
Could you elaborate on what song(s) you were listening to? Also did you happen to try the Black? I already ordered a Red from Amazon so I'm itching for any impressions I can get.

Songs included tracks from Miles Davis' Kind of Blue, David Bowie's Blackstar, the Eagles (one of these nights), Pink Floyd's DSoTM, Pink Floyd live Pulse concert, BB king (the thrill is gone). Please don't get me wrong the Red sounded super clean, but I personally wanted something with more soundstage and wanted the Bass of the 846 to hit as hard as it does with the iPhone 6. If you don't have an iPhone 6 then you're in for a treat.

Apr 23, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #2,289 of 2,514
Songs included tracks from Miles Davis' Kind of Blue, David Bowie's Blackstar, the Eagles (one of these nights), Pink Floyd's DSoTM, Pink Floyd live Pulse concert, BB king (the thrill is gone). Please don't get me wrong the Red sounded super clean, but I personally wanted something with more backstage and wanted the Bass of the 846 to hit as hard as it does with the iPhone 6. If you don't have an iPhone 6 then you're in for a treat.

Much appreciated. I'll add my impressions with a Galaxy S6 Active when it arrives.

Apr 23, 2016 at 10:32 PM Post #2,291 of 2,514
Only USB Audio Player Pro with external DACs for me. I spent a year using a V-MODA Vamp Verza through Poweramp before trying it with UAPP.

HUGE, MONUMENTAL difference in sound quality.

Apr 23, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #2,292 of 2,514
That's how I'll be using it with the DF Red.  I don't use EQ of any kind and not implying that theintrospect has any on, it's just that more often than none, smartphone users has some EQ and/or enhancement turned on that can effect the output with setups using OTG USB DACs.

Apr 23, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #2,293 of 2,514
Tried out the Red today at a local headphone shop. Paired with the Shure se846 and streaming through Tidal, the subbass hits less harder compared to iPhone 6+. Soundstage is the same as the iPhone 6+, and hissing is minimal. Overall, the iPhone 6 really stands on its own, and the purchase was not justified to me. YMMV. My 2 cents.

Interesting reply ...just shows how you really have to listen to the device yourself based on your own likes, equipment combos and skill sets.

if you read John darko's review of the dragonfly (read and look at his comments towards the very bottom), one of the newest comments asks him about its sound vs the iPhone 6 , and he said for sure it sounded much better ..significantly... I think I said night and day even ...so I think it's great to hear your op...basically it says get out there listen to things on your own and make your own assessment.

Apr 24, 2016 at 12:41 AM Post #2,295 of 2,514
What will be interesting is how this device sounds compared to, say, the newly released HTC 10 (have read it's DAC/amp has 24 bit high res)...or to the upcoming LG b/ dac/amp when it comes out. Some good affordable choices for us all....in a few yrs who knows if the technology will be there to have the chord mojo sound coupled with the dragonfly's weight and unobtrusive firm factor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back