audiophile speakers for a tight budget?
Jul 28, 2004 at 3:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 106

darcangelo

Head-Fier
hello, I'm interested into some good speakers for a low price (200 EUR max)... I'd also like to have a LOT of bass in them. At first I wanted to go for some computer amplified speakers but I get the impression from reading stuff here that they're not really good... So does anyone around know of a 200 EUR max solution for getting good bass-heavy speakers? Oh and I already have a 2 channel amp so active speakers are kindof redundant (but I'd still need an active subwoofer, supposing I'd go for one...)

Jul 28, 2004 at 3:52 PM Post #2 of 106
There is no such thing as "audiophile" speakers for $200EUR/$240USD unless you stretch the term audiophile to include all speakers. And that you want "good bass-heavy speakers" implies you are eliminating monitors and looking for full range speakers. You could find $200EUR full range speakers with lots of bass but they will be far from audiophile.

Jul 28, 2004 at 4:40 PM Post #3 of 106
I think he means not the pioneer or sony or some other none factor brand in affordable speakers that their drivers arebare paper with foam surrounds.

It all depends on your setup. If you have a good amp yo can look for a used speaker like Mission's or Acoustic Energy's most affordable stand mounters. I hear that these speakers generally produce a satisfying bass and the rest of the sound is not too bad. You could check these out or other similar speakers, but if bass is paramount, then you could probably look for the biggest thing you can find for your price range!!
icon10.gif

D

Jul 28, 2004 at 4:51 PM Post #4 of 106
Got tools handy? This is probably your best bet, thanks to terabyte for reminding me: http://speakerbuilder.net/web_files/...D3/dayton3.htm

If you can build a cabinet and solder, these will go down to 37hz and I don't think that accounts for any room gain. There's an 8" mtm version floating around out there on the web too, but it sacrifices some midrange clarity.

If you have to buy something, I recently heard of this Chinese speaker that is supposed to sound really good: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...62696&tc=photo
Yeah, that's real wood for under $200.
blink.gif
In western world costs, $200 wouldn't even cover the cost of the cabinet. I just paid $100 for an unfinished mdf cabinet way smaller than those.

Jul 28, 2004 at 5:09 PM Post #5 of 106
Get a pair of Axioms, and later on the subwoofer, with no sub you will not get bass in a 200.00-300.00 euro speakers....

Jul 28, 2004 at 8:36 PM Post #6 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
Got tools handy? This is probably your best bet, thanks to terabyte for reminding me: http://speakerbuilder.net/web_files/...D3/dayton3.htm

If you can build a cabinet and solder, these will go down to 37hz and I don't think that accounts for any room gain. There's an 8" mtm version floating around out there on the web too, but it sacrifices some midrange clarity.

If you have to buy something, I recently heard of this Chinese speaker that is supposed to sound really good: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...62696&tc=photo
Yeah, that's real wood for under $200.
blink.gif
In western world costs, $200 wouldn't even cover the cost of the cabinet. I just paid $100 for an unfinished mdf cabinet way smaller than those.

I'm actually building the Dayton IVs (aka Lyras) for a nice budget speaker system in my apartment. The parts+shipping cost me about $300 US. I haven't finished them, but supposedly they compare favourably with speakers costing many times as much. I'll probably post a review here when I finish.

Jul 28, 2004 at 10:25 PM Post #9 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by ADS
I'm actually building the Dayton IVs (aka Lyras) for a nice budget speaker system in my apartment. The parts+shipping cost me about $300 US. I haven't finished them, but supposedly they compare favourably with speakers costing many times as much. I'll probably post a review here when I finish.

Very cool. Be sure to let us know how it goes. The D3 comes in at $150 though and mdf will be about $25. As long as he has the tools, he can do it under $200..

I'm building the mbow1 2 way monitor with plans to convert it to the mbow1 3 way later on in my life. Parts and cabinet for the mbow1 2 way come out to a bit over $500 though. You could save about $70 if you had the tools to build a cabinet, and I would have tried if it hadn't been for the routing necessary for the tweeter and the roundovers for all the baffle edges. I'll try to document my building process, hopefully you can do yours too
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 28, 2004 at 11:12 PM Post #12 of 106
Used is almost always better than new in just about any price range
smily_headphones1.gif

Considering that the cost of parts in a speaker is typically 10%-25% of a speaker's retail price, calculated using retail market prices on said parts, used and diy speakers just start to sound better and better, eh?

Jul 29, 2004 at 12:22 AM Post #13 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma
Sorry,any new speakers for 200 are total crap.
You'll have to buy used to get half decent speakers in this price range.
What speaker amp do you own?
Room size?

Well, in fact 200.00 is a little tight, but if you go DIY you could get, for let's say 300.00, the sound of maybe 2000.00 market speakers, using the best parts available.

OTOH there are still very good choices in the market for that price, in studio monitors, and other small brands, Axioms, Polk, Athena, included. Of course maybe they won't compete with multithousands speakers setups, but do sound good.
OTOH more important than the speakers themselves, are the room size, geometry, acoustic treatments, placement, etc....that everybody seems ot forget frequently, just to get good expensive speakers and place them wherever, will not give you a good sound, and that's for sure....

Jul 29, 2004 at 12:57 AM Post #14 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
Well, in fact 200.00 is a little tight, but if you go DIY you could get, for let's say 300.00, the sound of maybe 2000.00 market speakers, using the best parts available....

That's optimistic if we're going to throw the word "audiophile" around.

SEAS EXCEL-VIFA-SCAN SPEAK-FOCAL,etc

prices of some drivers & kits:
http://ldsg.snippets.org/sect-15.php3

Jul 29, 2004 at 1:13 AM Post #15 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
That's optimistic if we're going to throw the word "audiophile" around.

SEAS EXCEL-VIFA-SCAN SPEAK-FOCAL,etc

prices of some drivers & kits:
http://ldsg.snippets.org/sect-15.php3

Yep, of course if you go to the top of the line drivers, of course they are expensive, but Vifa has a lot of inexpensive good drivers, same as other brands, one kit that I like is the Dinavox one, very nice indeed, IIRC it is a Dynaudio clone, but of course vifa has tweeters of 250.00 plus also each, we aretalking of inexpensive good speakers, not the best money can buy....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back