Audiophile Portable CD players?
Jun 10, 2003 at 5:40 AM Post #2 of 18
Yup, PCDP's are going down the musical drain, and climbing up onto the technology bandwagon. It's depressing.

Jun 10, 2003 at 1:49 PM Post #4 of 18
Coud it be so hard to make one yourself? A CD-ROM, energy source and an amp. Granted, it would be a big box compared to a PCDP, but I think it could be done. What do you guys think?

Jun 10, 2003 at 7:55 PM Post #6 of 18
oh yeah, in relevance to this topic...

any takers for dvd-mp3 players? as in 4.7gb of mp3s on a disc.

the comments to that article keep mentioning solid-state players, which i can attest to having used a creative nomad ii mg for that last year and a half.

i recently upgraded to an iriver imp-400 (last week) and i haven't had any skipping problems yet. granted, i only walk to and from class, no running or jogging, but it 's done quite well. its big though.

MD is supposed to be audiophile quality right? i love the size, but all those MD blanks to carry around and only 80min discs. plus blanks are still more expensive than CD-R's.

i dunno, i can't seem to find the perfect portable.

Jun 10, 2003 at 8:48 PM Post #7 of 18
I want one that has the size and features of a high end iRiver model.
But with good batterylife
And a display and buttons on the player.
And a build in amp that can drive anything and makes any portable amp sound like crap.
And when you drop it it doesn't break.
Under $100,- please
biggrin.gif

Jun 10, 2003 at 11:23 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Onix
Coud it be so hard to make one yourself? A CD-ROM, energy source and an amp. Granted, it would be a big box compared to a PCDP, but I think it could be done. What do you guys think?

Actually it would be possible... Let me see here.

The CD-ROM itself runs on +12v I believe (Do they draw anything from the +5v line? Anyone?) That could easily be obtained from a pair of 9v batteries in a regulated supply. (i.e. 18v regulated to 12v)

I think that some of the old external CD-ROMs had digital outputs... there might be some interface issues though.... I know that there are if you go straight from a regular CD-ROMs' digital output...

Anyway, once you have a useable digital signal, output that to AOS' portable DAC with built in amp and you might have a very decent transportable CDP.

Put all of it into a fairly small box that is, say twice the size of the CD-ROM and you might really have something.

Note I didn't say portable. This is because the CDP would lack things like skip-buffering that make portable players useful to people who are really on the go. But if you want a single box solution that could be carried short distances (room-to-room) and runs off of a DC source, I don't see why it wouldn't work. I could see it getting lots of use for things like camping where you are away from AC power.

So who wants to try it?

Jun 10, 2003 at 11:35 PM Post #11 of 18
Buy a Sharp DR7
biggrin.gif

Jun 11, 2003 at 2:38 PM Post #13 of 18
why could'nt XIN get a decent pcdp and replace the internal amp among other things.
He's already modified his current Sony.The single biggest improvement for any pcdp is an external amp thru line out.

would the laser have to be replaced or do they all read the same way?

Jun 11, 2003 at 7:56 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by PeterR
You would still need some controls, just opening and closing the drawer gets boring after a while...

That is why you use an older drive with play/pause, stop/eject, left skip and right skip controls.

To do this on a newer one you would have to fabricate a IDE controller board which would be at least a bit difficult. (i.e. I don't know how to do it but I've seen it done.)

Jun 11, 2003 at 8:04 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Onix

depends, you can get some quite slimline ordinary cd-rom drives.

stick a cmoy circuit in there, shouldn't be too big
power supply mgiht be the tricky part.

if you could open up the cd-rom case and get most of it in there somehow, would save space

Users who are viewing this thread

Back