Audiophile Newbie.......HD 439 Appreciated!
Jan 25, 2014 at 3:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

redlegs75

New Head-Fier
Hello All,

I am an audiophile newbie in terms of the equipment. I have been a music collector and builder of a large collection for over 14 years now. I have burned my entire collection onto my laptop. I have recently started to consider upgrading my receiver, speakers, and headphones. I had heard about the reputation of the Sennheiser and decided to purchase an entry level HD 439 headphones from bestbuy. They were less than $70 so I thought why not? I had previously invested in cheap headphones and speakers and have now realized that I need to enjoy my music on a whole new level. I am here to say that after having the Sennheiser 439s for about 2 months now that I really appreciate the sound that they have. I have heard things before in some of my songs in my collection that I have not noticed before! I also think that the bass level of the 439s has improved since I first bought them. I like the broad soundstage they bring to the table and also the detail of the bass. It is not punchy bass, but it is a very rangy bass. I have begun to become a headphones fan. I had previously listened to my music over my Sony Surround System. This if my first serious go round with a set of cans and I can say without a doubt that I appreciate the detail and distinctness with which I can hone in on a particular instrument or sound in a song. I don't think that is possible with an external speaker. I do realize the benefit of speakers but I have a whole new appreciation for Sennheiser and the 439. I realize the HD 650 is the flagship and I strive to that in my future. Sennheiser thank you for opening up a whole new way of listening to music for me.

Mike

Jan 25, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #2 of 5
  Hello All,

I am an audiophile newbie in terms of the equipment. I have been a music collector and builder of a large collection for over 14 years now. I have burned my entire collection onto my laptop. I have recently started to consider upgrading my receiver, speakers, and headphones. I had heard about the reputation of the Sennheiser and decided to purchase an entry level HD 439 headphones from bestbuy. They were less than $70 so I thought why not? I had previously invested in cheap headphones and speakers and have now realized that I need to enjoy my music on a whole new level. I am here to say that after having the Sennheiser 439s for about 2 months now that I really appreciate the sound that they have. I have heard things before in some of my songs in my collection that I have not noticed before! I also think that the bass level of the 439s has improved since I first bought them. I like the broad soundstage they bring to the table and also the detail of the bass. It is not punchy bass, but it is a very rangy bass. I have begun to become a headphones fan. I had previously listened to my music over my Sony Surround System. This if my first serious go round with a set of cans and I can say without a doubt that I appreciate the detail and distinctness with which I can hone in on a particular instrument or sound in a song. I don't think that is possible with an external speaker. I do realize the benefit of speakers but I have a whole new appreciation for Sennheiser and the 439. I realize the HD 650 is the flagship and I strive to that in my future. Sennheiser thank you for opening up a whole new way of listening to music for me.

Mike

Time traveler from 2005?

Jan 25, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #4 of 5
  Sorry didn't do my research.

No need to apologize.
tongue.gif

Actually if you really enjoy the HD439 the way you're describing, I would say stick with it. There are plenty of unintended consequences, mostly to do with your wallet, when upgrading headphones. Plus amount of joy you end up getting wouldn't be too far from what you're personally experiencing right now with the HD439.

Jan 25, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #5 of 5
I just purchased a pair of HD 600s and intend to sell my HD 448, the predecessor to the HD 449. I'm not sure what differences there are between the 448 and 449, if any, but the upgrade to the HD 600 was very noticeable. Don't get me wrong, the HD 448, and now HD 449, are great headphones but I'd suggest you audition a pair of 600s or 650s, if you can. Then again, if you want to save your wallet, maybe don't audition either one of those. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back