Audiophile buds?
Mar 26, 2013 at 10:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Boosh96

New Head-Fier
Now I'm thinking I should purchase a pair of audiophile earphones for on-the-go listening, possibly in addition to a pair of cans. I'm looking for audiophile buds that cost $150 or less, have good noise isolation, and are good for listening to classic rock. Any suggestions would be great!

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #2 of 10
When you say buds, are you referring specifically to earbuds as in the type of thing that ships with ipods, or do you mean in-ear monitors?

EDIT: sorry, just noticed you mentioned noise isolation

Do you have any specific sound preferences? Preferences for rock music doesn't say very much.

Mar 26, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #3 of 10
I like a strong, clean bass response with good mids and highs. I also want the vocals to sound clear and natural. I'm sorry if this doesn't give you much of a good description, but I'm not really good with, like, audiophile vocabulary and stuff.

Mar 26, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #4 of 10
The Sony XB90EX, JVC FXZ100, UE TF10Pro, Klipsch Image X10 and Vsonic GR07 willbe great match for these music genres and all offers strong punchy bass, crisp clear mids, highs for different instruments(include guitars, drums) to shine.

Mar 26, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:
Now I'm thinking I should purchase a pair of audiophile earphones for on-the-go listening, possibly in addition to a pair of cans. I'm looking for audiophile buds that cost $150 or less, have good noise isolation, and are good for listening to classic rock. Any suggestions would be great!

I like a strong, clean bass response with good mids and highs. I also want the vocals to sound clear and natural. I'm sorry if this doesn't give you much of a good description, but I'm not really good with, like, audiophile vocabulary and stuff.

Well first off - http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here

Anyways, strong clean bass, clear natural vocals, under 150 - does sound like either the IE800/BA200. And if you mind a loss in quantity (but still plenty clear) in bass, the A161P might even work out nicely. Can't use the PFE122 as a suggestion anymore as Phonak is indeed closing down, but maybe something like the GR07 or the UE700 (leaner note presentation, but rather clear and decently strong bass impact) as well.

Mar 29, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #6 of 10
I have the UE TF-10 and they are very good for their price. Consider Vsonic GR07 MK2, Fischer DBA-02 and Rockit Sounds R-50 as well. 

Mar 30, 2013 at 2:41 AM Post #8 of 10
Check out IJokerI's multi iem review thread if you haven't already. I've heard that Vsonic GR07 MK2, Fischer DBA-02, Audio Technica CK10 and Rockit Sounds R-50 all use the same drivers so they should sound very similar. 

Feb 21, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #9 of 10
since he doesn't have as much experience with the "audiophile earphones" i think most that are recommended would not be appropriate. They are all fantastic earphones ofc (i own the gr07 be) but even the be version my friends listening to them thought they lacked bass, and they could really appreciate the fantastic extended treble and the excellent mids

all they said was that they sound like my dre tours but less bassy.

so i would point you to this link

http://theheadphonelist.com/earphone-buyers-guide/

its written by joker
if you are like the average consumers (which is what we're using as reference) you should probably look in the basshead or the warm and punchy section (those would probably have the QUANTITY of the bass you would be use to) as most consumer earphones are very very bassy, so most of the earphones listed above are fairly neutral/balenced (gr07 and the fischer dba) as listed in the link

if i had to recommend something(s)
velodyne vpulse- very very deep bass, relatively clear mids and nonfatiguing treble

jvc ha fxt90- for the more aggressive, fun sound, with actually strong bass, mids and treble (some find it a bit too aggressive, but i would imagine average consumers wouldn't find it harsh)

the shure se215- very smooth mids and punchy bass, treble is clear but rolled off pretty quickly but absolutely no fatigue, id like more treble extension ( but i prefer a very extended treble, which is fatiguing to many others) which is why i didn't up buying them (tried them so many times, sittign on the fence)

another one is the fxd80- amazingly punchy and deep bass, ridiculously clear mid range, but unnatural and recessed for my liking (more suited for electronic and less vocal based music, not that they sound bad, just not as good as my gr07 and re400 which is saying a lot) and a treble that is bright (a bit too bright for others) and well extended 

if you want to start on something cheap first just see if you like the bassy sound (but not near the level of bass you'd probably use to)
the philips she3590- 13$- i had these for a long time and these punch way way above their weight, its ridiculous, clear mid range but recessed and an decently sparkly treble and of course a very deep bass no bloat 

Feb 21, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #10 of 10
Yeah, I would never recommend actually neutral headphones to someone who is just beginning in the headphone world. It usually ends up horribly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back