AudioGD Reference 5 DSP-1 on the way - need a good entry level amp (HD650)
Oct 7, 2010 at 11:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

wompa164

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all,

I recently decided to purchase an AudioGD Reference 5 DAC due to Kingwa phasing out his 1704-based R2R source components. I've been lusting after one of AudioGD's DACs for a while and impulsively decided to pull the trigger before his 1704-based DACs become impossible to find. I wasn't planning on jumping in with both feet first so suddenly, but here I am and now I need a decent entry-level amp to pair with my new source.

Since I spent so much on the DAC, I really don't have a lot left over to spend on the amp. I was planning on purchasing a WooAudio 6SE down the line but there's no way I can afford that right now. I've got around $400 to spend as an intermediate purchase to hold me over and drive my headphones properly until I can afford what I really want (the WA6SE). I would like this to be a good investment that will maintain it's resale value well and that I will be able to sell and recover most of the cost once I can afford the Woo.

Right now I'm looking at the Little Dot series, particularly the VI though it's more than I'd like to spend. I'm half-looking at the WA3SE and WA6 but they seem pretty underwhelming in terms of bang for the buck. I've heard multiple people on this board say that Woo's lower-end products are kind of underwhelming.

Anyways I'm looking forward to everyone's response, thanks in advance. Just so you know.. this is my first real listening setup. I had HD595s driven by an X-Fi Elite Pro, then upgraded to HD-650s and I've been driving them on the same soundcard. I absolutely cannot wait to hear how this headphones are REALLY supposed to sound.

Oct 7, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #2 of 7
Also, one quick question: I've had trouble finding information regarding purchasing Little Dot DACs. Can anyone tell me where most people purchase theirs? Also considering the AudioGD C2.. looks like a nice unit and I would probably be able to save on shipping, plus I could take advantage of the ACSS connection.

Oct 7, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #3 of 7
Hello wompa164,

You have several things going on here.  You are looking for an amp for the Ref5 with a $400.00 budget to start, to hold you off till your WA6 purchase?

In reference to LD- Davidzhezhe is the LD contact you are looking for (Little-Tube).

The Ref5 is balanced (yes you can use it SE as well) and I believe it goes hand in hand with the Roc.  Are you looking for a balanced amp or SE one.  The MKVI is about $700 IIRC.  For your budget I will recommend the MVII.  It spanks the HD650s in balanced or SE mode.

Oct 10, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #5 of 7
For anyone that's curious, I went ahead and placed my order for the C2. Kingwa gave me a decent discount since I'm purchasing it together with my Reference 5 DSP, so I was able to get a pretty good deal on it.

Oct 10, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #6 of 7
For anyone that's curious, I went ahead and placed my order for the C2. Kingwa gave me a decent discount since I'm purchasing it together with my Reference 5 DSP, so I'm very happy with the price I got on it. My only question is, what connector or cable do I need to hook up my headphones to the C2? It looks like a Neutrik XLR connector but my headphones (HD650s) have a 1/4" phono plug, what do I need to complete the connection?

Oct 11, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #7 of 7
Congratz on your purchase wompa.

You just connect it using the 1/4" plug.  That is the only way on the C-2.  When you get a balanced amp, then you would need a 4-pin xlr or 2x 3-pin xlr connectors (depending what your amp has) on your headphone cables for the HD650s.  'Til then, you just rock and roll single ended...

Enjoy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back