Audiobooks IDEAL IEMs/buds
Aug 14, 2016 at 11:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

RKuken

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I am looking for an IEM/bud recommendation solely for listening to audiobooks.
I have an old ipod 4g touch. The ones I was using up till now were pretty good. They broke and I'd like an upgrade.

My biggest peeve is SHRILL/high TREBBLE. I don't want it.
I made the mistake of buying KZ-ED9 which are terrible compared to the cheaper ones I have(A4tech MK620)
The 's' sound in some audiobooks is so high it hurts my ears on the ED9, even with the equalizer set to treb-reducer.
I read some reviews that the ED9 has good bass, so I automatically assumed they would have regular treb. But boy was I wrong.

Here's what my Mk620 say on the back, (and I've used them for a few years, pretty acceptable sound for audiobooks)

speaker: 10mm
Sensitivity: 102 db/mwat 1khz
Impedence: 32 ohm

I want something solely made for, or optimized for, or ideal for, vocal listening. I'd like voice so clear in my ears, it'd feel like the narrator is sitting right next to me.
No trebble please. I gathered from some reading on these forums that, that part is called 'highs'?
I'd prefer all the S sounds to be normal sounding, not amplified.

Thanks.

PS my budget is 40$

Aug 15, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #2 of 8
This list of IEM reviews might help: http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-352-iems-compared-pump-audio-earphones-added-04-03-16-p-1106.

I would suggest that you probably don't want IEMs that are too dark. If the highs are rolled off too much, that would probably affect vocal clarity.

Aug 15, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks cel4145.
Now I know what I don't want. But what do I do want?
Keywords/things to look out for while I go through the list you suggested?
Would appreciate any help.

Aug 15, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #4 of 8
I would not want v-shaped headphones. That means mids are recessed, and you wan mids. And while you obviously don't want bright headphones based on your previous experience, probably don't want the highs rolled off too much.

Aug 15, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #6 of 8
Hi,

It's 40 bucks.
I don't have a preference.
The only preference is outstanding vocals, and no high/shrill trebs where the S sound pierces my ears.

I'd like something small and not with clips etc, the ones used by runners/joggers since I listen to audiobooks lying down or sitting stationary.

Cheers

Aug 15, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #7 of 8
Well, I was mostly asking for the benefit of others as I mostly use v-shaped headphones. I noticed you said that you were using treble reducer, I'm not 100% sure but it sounds like you are using an apple product. If that is the case try instead the eq vocal boost. It pushes back the bass and treble to reveal the mids more, where most female and some male vocals are. Also note that music eq's don't carry over to other apps as far as I'm aware so if you are using audible or such for audio books then your eq'ing may be for naught.

Aug 17, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #8 of 8
I suppose I'm looking for something with great 'mids'
The link cel4145 provided is kool but a little overwhelming.
Anybody got some recommendations based on personal experience?

Cheers guys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back