Audio Zenith PMx2 Impressions page
Jul 22, 2015 at 3:07 AM Post #61 of 393
  would love to see you up in Seattle for our upcoming Head-Fi meet next weekend. I know it is short notice, but this is the first I have heard of your headphone. Do you ever make it out to local meets?

PM sent.

Sorry I could not come but would make sure to thank you personally at the very next meet in Seattle for demoing PMx2 for us this time. Hope everything goes nice and smooth and you have lots of fun this Saturday!

Jul 23, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #62 of 393
Hi, I just bought the dac / amp OPPO HA-2, what a great idea I had ! The result with the PMX2 is lovely. Now I know I can say only one headphone is enough for me ... The rendering this combo is simply fabulous ! I strongly advice all users of PM1 / 2/3 to test the HA-2,  is already special PMX2 those who are listening know. But with a little dac HA2 as it becomes spectacular verily, I am sure that when you do the test you will understand ! Btw I ordered a balanced cable with 3.5 TRRS Norneaudio to enjoy the separate GND output of HA2 !

For me the combo PMX2 + HA-2 is SPECTACULAR for quality price ratio, simplicity and mobile smartphone functions ...!

Jul 24, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #66 of 393
I'm listening to the PMx2 through the Eddie Current Zana Deux right now and it sounds spectacular. However, what I find really special about the PMx2 is its ability to make my iPhone 6 sound almost as good as this setup. Talk about versatility. I don't know how Alex did it, but the iPhone 6 is not supposed to sound that good with a pair of headphones. The other thing I find very special about this HP is that its incredible dynamics allow it to be played at much lower volumes than most headphones and retain the full sized slam. For those that have not heard the PMx2 yet, it is a very lush and full body sound that somehow retains its transparency, neutral frequency balance, and detail. Well done Alex!

ZD.png

Jul 24, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #67 of 393
  The other thing I find very special about this HP is that its incredible dynamics allow it to be played at much lower volumes than most headphones and retain the full sized slam. For those that have not heard the PMx2 yet, it is a very lush and full body sound that somehow retains its transparency, neutral frequency balance, and detail. Well done Alex!

Agreed.  It's ability to still sound very linear and "high resolution" even at relatively low volume levels is virtually unique among headphones.

The only type of headphones that equal or beat the PM-x2 in this regard are TOTL electrostatics, but they have a completely different set of pros & cons to consider.

Jul 26, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #70 of 393

And I feel the same way about the Audioquest NightHawk, very linear sounding but also very dull and boring sounding.

Absolute nonsense..

Jul 27, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #71 of 393
This mod is on my radar, but...

I have to be honest, I don't see that ANY mod is worth $700 IMO. The mods that Mr. Speakers applied to the fostex t50rp brought a $100 headphone into the audiophile arena. And those sold for $300. Part of the problem is that you're taking a product that is already in a "luxury" class and doubling the cost. Like I said, this is on my radar but I'm just not sure if it appeals to me. 

I'm also wondering what to do about "non removable pads." I guess you just don't remove them. 
wink.gif
 But who in their right mind would buy a pmx2 with no plans to use it long enough to need a pad change. Maybe I'm missing something here, wouldn't be the first time. 
biggrin.gif

Anyway, I just discovered this today and am trying to get the big picture into focus. No offense intended here whatsoever.

best,

Matt

Jul 27, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #72 of 393
  This mod is on my radar, but...

I have to be honest, I don't see that ANY mod is worth $700 IMO. The mods that Mr. Speakers applied to the fostex t50rp brought a $100 headphone into the audiophile arena. And those sold for $300. Part of the problem is that you're taking a product that is already in a "luxury" class and doubling the cost. Like I said, this is on my radar but I'm just not sure if it appeals to me. 

I'm also wondering what to do about "non removable pads." I guess you just don't remove them. 
wink.gif
 But who in their right mind would buy a pmx2 with no plans to use it long enough to need a pad change. Maybe I'm missing something here, wouldn't be the first time. 
biggrin.gif

Anyway, I just discovered this today and am trying to get the big picture into focus. No offense intended here whatsoever.

best,

Matt

Appreciate your interest Matt 
   As a matter of fact I currently see no way of making any profit off of this project for at least two to three years if ever, but:
   -If you simply can not see ANY mod to be worth $700 then your mind is already set and trying to convince you otherwise would simply be a waste of time/energy (no offense intended here as well). All of your questions are good though and very much worth answering. 
   -One can find many FREE online guides on how to bring Fostex t50rp into the audiophile arena and therefore charging triple the cost of original set may also seem a bit steep. But of course when there are options at nine times of the original price, three times immediately appears to be a bargain.
   -Maybe I am mistaken but "Luxury" starts at over $1000 these days and PMx2 is unquestionably one of the cheapest offerings (please see Innerfidelity Big Sound 2015 for pricing on the current crop). 
   -It wouldn't appeal to me either at least until FR charts are presented, but absolutely everything will change from that point on. Would then try to find ANYTHING like it for less, but of course that's just me. 
   -I for example have not heard of many/any K701 pads worn to a point of needing a replacement, PMx2 pads are no less durable. Would replace them for FREE If I can find someone in their right mind wearing out PMx2 pads at the rate similar to how for example HD800 pads are typically wearing out. There will be an option for replacement of original pads offered in the future though. 
   -Honestly, the only right way of getting picture into focus would be a simple listening test. Maybe a local meet?

Jul 28, 2015 at 7:22 AM Post #73 of 393
Thanks for the response. I appreciate that this is a relatively new venture and that not many people have had an opportunity to hear your work. But I'm sure that you can appreciate for many us that it was likely a stretch to afford the headphone in the first place. And that an irreversible mod is a substantial risk. It's early, people will be skeptical, people like me. 
biggrin.gif

Like I said, I have some interest. I'm just trying to get some answers and perspective and again, I appreciate your input. A few things:

1. I understand your statement about pads, but...it still doesn't sit well with me. I would equate pads to a pair of shoes. They are very durable and may last years but eventually they will need to be replaced. And sometimes accidents happen. People have pets who might like to munch on an expensive new headphone...schiit happens. Some guys wear gel and other products in their hair which would accelerate the replacement process. I'm just being devil's advocate here. 

2. Everybody's idea of luxury will be different IMO. Truth is, some will struggle to buy a $200 pair of headphones. There is a strong population of youth here and lot's of college students who are just getting started in the hobby. 

3. Meets and reviews here will determine exposure of this product and ultimately it's success. I'd love to hear the product, but honestly I'd never take the plunge without getting an opportunity to audition one in my home regardless of impressive measurements. 

I wish you the best of luck and much success. 

kindly,

Matt

Jul 28, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #74 of 393
mmm......for me it was an easy decision to make: I love the PM1 (bought last year) and the PMx2, imho, is significantly  better than the PM1. It is a steep price to pay (specially if you are just starting the journey). Even if Audio Zenith explains what he did to make the PM2-cum-PMx2  better than the PM1, my eyes would just have that glazed look. I don't have the technical expertise to understand the technical mods. In the end (the proof of the pudding is in the eating), I love how the PMx2 sounds and the 1500 bucks is a fair price to pay. In fact, the PMx2 is currently  my on-the-go  planer magnetic headphones, paired with the AK 240, Moon Audio Blue Dragon cable  and the Continental Dual Mono. I just love the convenience and the way the system sounds. Of course, you need to audition the PMx2 when you get the chance and decide for yourself whether it is a worthy headphone to own and to keep. To hear is to believe.

Jul 28, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #75 of 393
Here's my 2-cents for what it's worth...

- The pads are a concern. Yes. Longevity may be an issue, and I'm hoping Audio Zenith will be around to service these issues if/when a problem arises.

- $700 for the mod is steep.... as is everything else when you enter the TOTL realm. Trying to squeeze out that last 10% is an expensive undertaking. Alex was nice enough to throughly explain his modding process to me, and after talking to him, the $700 makes sense. More sense at least than the $1000 price difference between and Audeze LCD-2 and and LCD-3 (which I love btw). 

- Fully agreed that meets and other people's reviews will determine Audio Zenith's success. As for the last part of your statement, maybe a tour can be arranged? It may be the best way to increase exposure beyond just waiting for meets to happen. Not with my pair though. You'd have to pry them from my cold dead hands before I'd send my pair away. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back