Audio Tecknica WS55i, Denon ADH 1100, AKG K450 or K480 or other alternatives?
Dec 7, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #16 of 36

Quote:
I find the K518 to have a good bass. To me, they're fairly good with every genre as well. £80 is a bit too much for the K518 to be honest. amazon.co.uk has them for £45.99, which is the most they should cost. Any more expensive than that, go for some other headphone.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AKG-Acoustics-518-DJ-Headphones/dp/B000ISP3M4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1323293285&sr=8-5

Seems like the Denon D1100 has a price drop ATM as well:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Denon-AHD1100-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B003YUBE4E/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1323293420&sr=1-4

For that price (half the price of Denon D1001 IIRC), I'd probably order the Denons despite not really knowing if I'd like the sound or not. People seem to like them, especially for bass heavy music.

I tried the denons in my local store and i thought they were superb just pretty big and the build quality is a bit suspect but not really an issue but there are definitely a canditdate but need to think about that your m50s is that audio technica how are they?

Dec 7, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #17 of 36

Quote:
I tried the denons in my local store and i thought they were superb just pretty big and the build quality is a bit suspect but not really an issue but there are definitely a canditdate but need to think about that your m50s is that audio technica how are they?

They are built like a tank. Could probably survive a nuclear war. They have a rather hard clamping force, so they sit tight on your head. Quite comfortable, unless you have a bigger head. They also have the cloth on the inside touching my ear, but it's just as easy to put some stuff in under their earpads as it is with the Cal!. Not so hard to drive, so you wouldn't need an extra amp (but I do find them benefitting from one - soundstage goes bigger and bass becomes a little tighter and mids are not as recessed as straight from a DAP).

Sound quality wise they're great in all aspects I think.

You can check the reviews here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/audio-technica-ath-m50s-monitor-headphones

IMO a (big) step up from Cal! and K518.

Dec 7, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #18 of 36

Quote:
They are built like a tank. Could probably survive a nuclear war. They have a rather hard clamping force, so they sit tight on your head. Quite comfortable, unless you have a bigger head. They also have the cloth on the inside touching my ear, but it's just as easy to put some stuff in under their earpads as it is with the Cal!. Not so hard to drive, so you wouldn't need an extra amp (but I do find them benefitting from one - soundstage goes bigger and bass becomes a little tighter and mids are not as recessed as straight from a DAP).

Sound quality wise they're great in all aspects I think.

You can check the reviews here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/audio-technica-ath-m50s-monitor-headphones

IMO a (big) step up from Cal! and K518.

lol they are big boys one of those cups is about the size of my head na not really but to big for me for bus journeys was also looking at these http://www.whathifi.com/review/ath-ws55i any knowledge at all on these mate.

You could say i'm a headphone noob when talking about amps and things like that how does this work? and i've got an xperia arc and the jack slot is at the side so would one of these >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-5mm-Female-3-5mm-Male-Right-Angle-Gold-Headphone-Audio-Cable-Adapter-/350496300880?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item519b351f50#ht_500wt_1054 effect the sound?

Thanks mate

Dec 7, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #19 of 36

Quote:

lol they are big boys one of those cups is about the size of my head na not really but to big for me for bus journeys was also looking at these http://www.whathifi.com/review/ath-ws55i any knowledge at all on these mate.

You could say i'm a headphone noob when talking about amps and things like that how does this work? and i've got an xperia arc and the jack slot is at the side so would one of these >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-5mm-Female-3-5mm-Male-Right-Angle-Gold-Headphone-Audio-Cable-Adapter-/350496300880?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item519b351f50#ht_500wt_1054 effect the sound?

Thanks mate

I'm sorry my friend, I don't know anything about the WS55i from Audio-Technica. Someone else will have to fill you in on those headphones.

As for amps and stuff, you're not really going to need any as long as you stay with the gear that at least I've mentioned. No need to worry about any of that stuff. Should it turn that your experia can't drive these headphones, then it would probably not be able to drive any headphone, LOL. As for the cable adapter - no, it probably won't affect the sound in any way. Some would probably say otherwise - but me, I don't think so.

Dec 7, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #20 of 36

Quote:
I'm sorry my friend, I don't know anything about the WS55i from Audio-Technica. Someone else will have to fill you in on those headphones.

As for amps and stuff, you're not really going to need any as long as you stay with the gear that at least I've mentioned. No need to worry about any of that stuff. Should it turn that your experia can't drive these headphones, then it would probably not be able to drive any headphone, LOL. As for the cable adapter - no, it probably won't affect the sound in any way. Some would probably say otherwise - but me, I don't think so.

Ok mate you have been very helpful also have you bought from a company called accessory jack before?

Dec 7, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #23 of 36

Quote:
OK mate and burning in does this just mean the performance gets better over time? and do you know about klipsch?

I have a couple of Klipsch IEMs. I like them. They are very bassy too. However, I have not tried the Image One if that's the one you're referring to? You'll have to research reviews on those, but if memory serves me correctly, they weren't being touted as the best thing since sliced bread.

Burning in a term for using the headphones, or letting them work in order to get into the condition you want them to be in. Some believe in it, other don't - the jury is a little out on that one. Some say that it's just your brain getting used to the sound signature of a specific headphone. Personally I think it's a little bit of both - that headphones' sound quality do benefit a little in time, but also that you get used to the sound the headphones produces. There is little science, as far as I know, to support any theory concerning burn-in. Someone more knowledgable might want to correct me on that. So, yes, you were correct - burn in implies that their performance gets better over time.

Anyway, the best practice, IMHO, for burn-in is to just listen to your headphones and see if it changes over time.

Dec 8, 2011 at 6:56 AM Post #24 of 36

Quote:
I have a couple of Klipsch IEMs. I like them. They are very bassy too. However, I have not tried the Image One if that's the one you're referring to? You'll have to research reviews on those, but if memory serves me correctly, they weren't being touted as the best thing since sliced bread.

Burning in a term for using the headphones, or letting them work in order to get into the condition you want them to be in. Some believe in it, other don't - the jury is a little out on that one. Some say that it's just your brain getting used to the sound signature of a specific headphone. Personally I think it's a little bit of both - that headphones' sound quality do benefit a little in time, but also that you get used to the sound the headphones produces. There is little science, as far as I know, to support any theory concerning burn-in. Someone more knowledgable might want to correct me on that. So, yes, you were correct - burn in implies that their performance gets better over time.

Anyway, the best practice, IMHO, for burn-in is to just listen to your headphones and see if it changes over time.

Yeah the image one and do you have any problems with the in ear klipsch falling out of your ears or are they ok? and thats cool then regarding the burning in process.

Dec 8, 2011 at 7:56 AM Post #25 of 36

Quote:
Yeah the image one and do you have any problems with the in ear klipsch falling out of your ears or are they ok? and thats cool then regarding the burning in process.

No problems with the Klipsch. It's a pretty good piece for it's price. It stays put in the ears, it gives a fairly good sound quality, although I have to say that they seem to have a bad build quality. I'm already on my second pair of the S4, and I recall others complaining about their S4 breaking. There are better out there, probably even for the same price - but I can't really give any recommendations. I don't like my RE-262's too much, despite them being one of the better IEMs out there according to some people.

ClieOS and |joker| have really good threads about IEMs if you're interested. I also put trust in MalVeux' and dkft's reviews. You can check the deals threads as well, because sometimes you find real gems for low prices. Well, and, just keep looking at the forums - people give their opinions about their headphones or IEMs.

Just watch out for the FOTM and overhyped stuff, as I know a lot of people are recommending gear they haven't even heard. I stumbled upon a guy here that was recommending some headphones that were "far superior" to other headphones, and later in that thread he wrote: "Today I received them per mail". That's how myths start.

Dec 8, 2011 at 10:18 AM Post #26 of 36

Quote:
No problems with the Klipsch. It's a pretty good piece for it's price. It stays put in the ears, it gives a fairly good sound quality, although I have to say that they seem to have a bad build quality. I'm already on my second pair of the S4, and I recall others complaining about their S4 breaking. There are better out there, probably even for the same price - but I can't really give any recommendations. I don't like my RE-262's too much, despite them being one of the better IEMs out there according to some people.

ClieOS and |joker| have really good threads about IEMs if you're interested. I also put trust in MalVeux' and dkft's reviews. You can check the deals threads as well, because sometimes you find real gems for low prices. Well, and, just keep looking at the forums - people give their opinions about their headphones or IEMs.

Just watch out for the FOTM and overhyped stuff, as I know a lot of people are recommending gear they haven't even heard. I stumbled upon a guy here that was recommending some headphones that were "far superior" to other headphones, and later in that thread he wrote: "Today I received them per mail". That's how myths start.

OK mate thanks you have been a good help i will bear all this in mind.

Dec 8, 2011 at 10:31 AM Post #27 of 36

Quote:
OK mate thanks you have been a good help i will bear all this in mind.

No problems my friend. I hope you find some good headphones that are perfect to you. Watch up for that upgraditis later on. 
wink.gif

Dec 15, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #29 of 36

Quote:
Awrite mate so how good are the cals there on offer the now and quite tempting.

I wouldn't call them great at all, to be honest. They're good for the price (£50), but I wouldn't pay more for them. Don't take me wrong though, they're not the worst headphones either. Just not great.

If it's somewhere around £50, get them. If it's more, go for the AKG K518. They're on par with eachother IMO.

As for your question about in-ear monitors - the Klipsch are fine as well. They're not great either, but for the price they're good. They're quite comfortable though, which is one of their stronger sides. They are rather bassy as well, and despite it being a little poorer bass, I think it's okay for the pricepoint. They will give you a good time with bass heavy music, my friend.

Dec 15, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #30 of 36

Quote:
I wouldn't call them great at all, to be honest. They're good for the price (£50), but I wouldn't pay more for them. Don't take me wrong though, they're not the worst headphones either. Just not great.

If it's somewhere around £50, get them. If it's more, go for the AKG K518. They're on par with eachother IMO.

As for your question about in-ear monitors - the Klipsch are fine as well. They're not great either, but for the price they're good. They're quite comfortable though, which is one of their stronger sides. They are rather bassy as well, and despite it being a little poorer bass, I think it's okay for the pricepoint. They will give you a good time with bass heavy music, my friend.

Ok there £40 on amazon how big are there are they portable enough?  i'll have a good look at the k518s as well. Bass would be a preference but not over bearing.

Thr klipsch seem to be quite popular ultimately on ears would be better suited for me i think.

Thanks for your responses mate 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back