Audio-Technica's Take on the Microdriver: ATH-CKN50 and CKN70
Aug 8, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #256 of 294
a young producer friend of mine asked me for recommendations for a portable production gear set up out of his computer.  what would you sound wizards recommend on a 300$ budget?
i was thinking of something like an ele sac (or something like that) a BH amp or some integrated chinese amp dac unit, and what headphones?  ath 700?  or what?
completely open to suggestions!
thanks for your ideas for Edgar...

Sep 21, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #258 of 294
can someone there compare CKN70 w/ 3590 tips and RE-400 ?
normal_smile .gif

Sep 23, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #259 of 294
For me, CKN70 were way too sibilant (harsh highs).  RE-400 much smoother.

Jan 15, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #265 of 294
I consider my ears sensitive to harsh high but personally I don't find the highs of CKN70 as harsh though. Certainly the treble won't make me cringe as my Altone 200 sometime does to my ears.

I also don't agree with the review that says CKN70 as V-shape. In order to qualify to be a v-shape, the mid has to be recessed, but mid on CKN70 is anything but recessed.  Try listening to vocals and you will find the timbre of vocals are rich and full unlike those typical v-shape sounding iems. CKN70 is just loud across all spectrum.

As to the microphonic cable, it is not even close to Sony MH1 that many people are willing to put up with.  CKN70 comes with cable winder cum shirt clip that should be placed near the Y split to eliminate the microphonic issue.

I love my CKN70. 

Jan 15, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #266 of 294
I consider my ears sensitive to harsh high but personally I don't find the highs of CKN70 as harsh though. Certainly the treble won't make me cringe as my Altone 200 sometime does to my ears.

I also don't agree with the review that says CKN70 as V-shape. In order to qualify to be a v-shape, the mid has to be recessed, but mid on CKN70 is anything but recessed.  Try listening to vocals and you will find the timbre of vocals are rich and full unlike those typical v-shape sounding iems. CKN70 is just loud across all spectrum.

As to the microphonic cable, it is not even close to Sony MH1 that many people are willing to put up with.  CKN70 comes with cable winder cum shirt clip that should be placed near the Y split to eliminate the microphonic issue.

I love my CKN70. 

Very nice impressions.

Kinda annoyed I didint pick a pair up myself when they first came out.

Jan 15, 2015 at 4:53 AM Post #268 of 294

I love my CKN70. 

I completely agree with all of this (except I do hate the cord and I wish they came with a pouch)
The highs are nowhere near as sharp as my Ultrasone HFI-580.
I really love the CKN70, it's such a tight sound. It makes me want to try the CKR9,which someone said has a similar signature to the CKN70 but much more refined.

Jan 15, 2015 at 5:39 AM Post #269 of 294
Why annoyed? It is still available in shops and online. :)

I know mate, but I simply won't have time for them anymore. All about the EPH100 now, got 2nd pair this week and realised how much I missed them and that they are perfect for me.

Wonder if anyone has done a comparison between the EPH100 and CKN70...

Jan 15, 2015 at 10:16 PM Post #270 of 294
I completely agree with all of this (except I do hate the cord and I wish they came with a pouch)
The highs are nowhere near as sharp as my Ultrasone HFI-580.
I really love the CKN70, it's such a tight sound. It makes me want to try the CKR9,which someone said has a similar signature to the CKN70 but much more refined.

I ordered a bunch of iems before Christmas and only got the chance to unbox them this week. CKN70 was ordered just out of curiosity with almost no expectation, that's when I tested those iems, CKN70 was the one that surprised me most. I thought it would fare lower than Carbo Basso or AKG374 but it turned out to be exceeding these two.

I  also got CKR9 in my purchase.  CKR9 haa a much fuller and warmer timber. It sounds more natural but of course CKR9 costs more than double. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back