Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x
Aug 27, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #1,816 of 2,205
What resistance does your multimeter show for the drivers?

Aug 27, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #1,817 of 2,205

They're catering for their local market first it seems. I listen to mostly anime songs which usually has a ton of instruments at the same time. Hearing the vocals clearly in the midst of all that is a great pleasure.

Anyway, I took a longer listen to the AD2000x. The trebles are a bit weak to my taste. I keep trying to increase my volume to get the treble higher. Gave up and just EQed the damn treble. All my other ATs have great treble, just, not the AD2000x. Still, the AD2000x overall sounds better than its lower-numbered siblings so I'll put up with a slight EQ. I have a love-hate relationship with its soundstage. Hearing everything feel so close to you is amazing, but the soundstage is so small for an open-headphone. I want to get the airy feel of the AD900x back, yet when I put on the AD900x, I start missing how close everything sounded with the AD2000x.

I won't recommend the AD2000x for TVs/movies. They sounded pretty bad for it.

I'm wondering if there's a better headphone out there. There's so many out there that I haven't tried, but they cost a lot. too. I ordered a ProDJ100 since someone mentioned about its soundstage, just to get an inkling of what a great soundstage would sound like, since the higher-end from other brands are more inclined towards a better soundstage.

I wonder, too. I'm looking for a review from someone who really likes the AD2kx, knows how to get the fit right, but then changed cans after hearing something else.

K701, if you want actually clear treble. Also less bloated bass.

I wouldn't say the K701 is technically superior to the AD2000X, but the difference in detail retrieval is so glaringly apparent that it's refreshing to switch between the two.

But I can't recommend them K712/K612. They took an awesome headphone and tried to make them more mainstream (maybe similar to the AD2K vs AD2KX), thereby losing what made them so appealing in the first place. The AD2000X > K712 any day.

Aug 27, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #1,818 of 2,205
  What resistance does your multimeter show for the drivers?

I don't know but that is a good thought. Casper ordered the 2k drivers and got those instead. He called AT and they said they messed up and to keep those drivers. When he told me he got the wrong drivers he said he was going to bed. So while hes sleeping I'm trying to see if anyone knows what drivers they are. 

Aug 28, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #1,820 of 2,205
  Under this new grill still lies the ad2000 drivers. Recent changes to the heavily modified ad2000's

Did you make that grill yourself?  Or scavenged it from what?

Aug 28, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #1,822 of 2,205
Lol, I forgot about that mod you're doing Folex. Good to see some progress on it. Oh, and those drivers on the last page look like my Pro700MKII drivers, but with black felt material (the pros have more restrictive white felt material). Perhaps they tuned it for one of their AD series headphones, not sure which one though (not AD900 since the opening in the center of the magnet is too small).

Anyways, I found out something very cool just recently. I have a VST plugin that reverses the phase on the audio, and guess what it did to my highly modded AD2K's? The soundstage is extremely similar to your typical AKG K7xx headphone, but with AT's house sound signature.

Aug 28, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #1,823 of 2,205
  Lol, I forgot about that mod you're doing Folex. Good to see some progress on it. Oh, and those drivers on the last page look like my Pro700MKII drivers, but with black felt material (the pros have more restrictive white felt material). Perhaps they tuned it for one of their AD series headphones, not sure which one though (not AD900 since the opening in the center of the magnet is too small).

Anyways, I found out something very cool just recently. I have a VST plugin that reverses the phase on the audio, and guess what it did to my highly modded AD2K's? The soundstage is extremely similar to your typical AKG K7xx headphone, but with AT's house sound signature.

Those are one headphone Ive yet to try the 7xx series. From what I heard i don't think I'd like the sound but since they are mentioned often I'd love to have the experience with them. When I get the headphones back from casper I will def try that. Personally my goal with the Ad2000 drivers is to get the ad700 with naturally more bass without having it closed or even less open. Looking at the size of the driver I don't think that should be too hard

I think we might have a winner with the pro700MKII

Aug 28, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #1,824 of 2,205
Here is my first attempt @ 3d modeling a pair of dual driver headphones. I don't really know what I'm doing but they turned out alright i think. We're going to get into 3d printing soon so I am learning how to use the program now. I planned to use 2x ad700's with this pair.

Aug 28, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #1,825 of 2,205
Yup, those are Pro700MKII drivers. Didn't see that the felt material was white.

I had the AKG K712...for one day before I returned them. I hate those headphones with a passion. My headphones just sound too good. The K712s have no balls. They sound weak, absolutely no bass whatsoever, everything is in your head, the drivers can't produce any SPL, they can't go loud since the membrane material is extremely thin and is susceptible to cone breakup due to no reinforcement on the membrane (I'm talking about the ridges on your typical Audio Technica driver - they aid in dramatically reducing cone breakup) and they're not as comfortable as my headphones are. They're pretty much blatant opposites of each other.

Aug 28, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #1,826 of 2,205
  Yup, those are Pro700MKII drivers. Didn't see that the felt material was white.

I had the AKG K712...for one day before I returned them. I hate those headphones with a passion. My headphones just sound too good. The K712s have no balls. They sound weak, absolutely no bass whatsoever, everything is in your head, the drivers can't produce any SPL, they can't go loud since the membrane material is extremely thin and is susceptible to cone breakup due to no reinforcement on the membrane (I'm talking about the ridges on your typical Audio Technica driver - they aid in dramatically reducing cone breakup) and they're not as comfortable as my headphones are. They're pretty much blatant opposites of each other. They do image better, however.

Sounds a little like the ad700. Which does mids and highs perfectly.. and falls flat on its face when it comes to bass. I think this is solely due to the driver being far from your ear and that its completely open. A while ago I did a ghetto mod with the ad700 where I put it into a cheap headphone and it became an on ear headphone. What I heard was AMAZING. The problem was either I soldered it wrong or the drivers weren't matched. One side would fatigue really bad. When I switched ears the fatigue would follow the cup. Just for laughs I'm gonna post the ghetto mod here.

These drivers close to your ears really make a great sound. You can buy a pair for $14. I'm sure they got nothing on the ad2000's but you'd never put a pair of ad2000's into a mod like the above. 

Aug 28, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #1,827 of 2,205

Sounds a little like the ad700. Which does mids and highs perfectly.. and falls flat on its face when it comes to bass. I think this is solely due to the driver being far from your ear and that its completely open. A while ago I did a ghetto mod with the ad700 where I put it into a cheap headphone and it became an on ear headphone. What I heard was AMAZING. The problem was either I soldered it wrong or the drivers weren't matched. One side would fatigue really bad. When I switched ears the fatigue would follow the cup. Just for laughs I'm gonna post the ghetto mod here.

Haha, that's pretty cool.

My AD2K MKIV also has channel imbalance, but I fixed it with a sound level meter and a parametric eq:

Well, it isn't completely fixed, due to the inherent differences between the drivers (right driver is better- louder, more bass, and handles power better), but it's much better than it was before.

Aug 28, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #1,828 of 2,205

Haha, that's pretty cool.

My AD2K MKIV also has channel imbalance, but I fixed it with a sound level meter and a parametric eq:

Well, it isn't completely fixed, due to the inherent differences between the drivers (right driver is better- louder, more bass, and handles power better), but it's much better than it was before.

You are much deeper into the audio obsession then me. All these fun looking toys makes me want to get deeper myself. 

Aug 28, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #1,829 of 2,205
Nah, I'm not [too] obsessed, I just care about my headphones too much, and if I can fix something that's wrong with them I try my best to do so. They really are the best headphones I've ever heard. I MUCH prefer them to a pair of LCD-2s I heard a while ago. Then again, I didn't have a chance to fool around with them. Maybe one day I'll have an LCD-X to fool around with.

I have 6 (well, 7 if you count the bass boost) equalizers dedicated to trying to fix the AD2000's sound. They sound horrible stock, but with some equalization, they truly turn into a different headphone.

I'm not sure how loud the bass boost is, but my guess is around 12dB, then pair that with another 10dB with the bass boost on my receiver, and then hook it up to the speaker channels. With the way my headphones are modded, and with the power speaker amps provide, I can get around 101dB@40Hz without no distortion whatsoever. I actually blew a couple of ad2000 drivers because I had them too loud at 20Hz. So, if you want some headphone drivers blown, send them over to me :p

This one goes with the channel imbalance. The right channel is slightly bassier, so I tried to fix it with this. It's still more bassy, but it can't be fixed due to inherent driver differences.

This goes along with the channel imbalance too. The right channel still sounded a bit too loud, so I boosted the left channel another decibel.

This is the mother eq. The AD2000 driver has a nasty peak at 4kHz, which veils the sound signature and screws up the soundstage. The 2kHz area was boosted because it sounded too recessed, and 5kHz and beyond is raised because it was too quiet for my liking.

I did this one when I was comparing my headphones with them pulled apart from my ears, and with them clamped on. With them pulled apart, it sounded much more natural, so I replicated it with this eq.

I found out to lower the bass a bit when A/B'ing with the K712 (didn't realize it before since I was so used to it). Without this eq, it sounds too boomy and messy. I guess the K712s were good for something...

I could probably combine most of these, but I don't feel like it. Plus, it's a bit more modular and easier to tweak if I find something else I want to change.

Sep 3, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #1,830 of 2,205
After going AD900x to AD1000x to AD2000x I decided to buy the AD900x to see the differences as I remember liking them quite a bit at the time (currently own 2kx). First thing that strikes me is they are definitely more comfy, the clamping is just right and the drivers don't rest on my ears. Comfiest phones for me, and recently I've owned HD800, q701, Shure 1540 among others.

Soundstage is bigger because the driver isn't so close to your ear. AD900x are really a bargain, I'm actually debating which I like more at this point, certainly not a world of difference. There is more treble than the 2Kx which I like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back